Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 12:49 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,370,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
It's not the fact that people don't like the climate here that bothers me - it's more the way people needlessly exaggerate how bad it is. By the way some individuals on here ramble on, you'd think a single overcast day would kill them, that we are all walking around in a state of semi-permanent depression, and that it's never warm enough to warrant T-shirts and shorts. It's just crap.

I don't have an anti-American bias either - people all over the world poke fun at Americans for being fat and out of shape. Maybe you should get over it. People also poke fun at Brits for having bad teeth - I know it isn't true, but I've long since stopped caring.

I doubt it - that would involve some level of sexual interaction, something 'Beercoholism' has probably not had the luxury of experiencing. All of that anger you see is really just pent-up sexual frustration.
OK - I can agree that people are way overdramatic and exaggerate how much cloudy weather affects them. Some people on here act like it's the end of the world if a climate averages less than 99% possible sunshine. So yes, I agree that people exaggerate how bad it is. To me for example, the cloudiness doesn't bother me (in fact, much of the UK has about ideal sunshine hours) it's more of the lack of variety and interesting weather.

And yeah, honestly I've called out the U.S. on our social problems many different times so it's not really something to "get over" considering I'm not an over patriotic blowhard that thinks there's nothing with our country. It's more of the fact that people love the generalize Americans, but the second we do the same thing all of a sudden we are "ignorant" or not aware of other cultures. I think people should stop with nonsense generalizations in general. Not all of us think the same. And it's especially nonsensical when it comes from someone who's never been here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I don't think the difference between the US and Europe is that big in slightly overweight, as in 'a bit chubby' for example among middle-aged people, but the US surely has a bigger percentage who are extremely obese, as in 'hardly can get out of bed'.

Obesity Rates by Age Group: The State of Obesity

I don't know how reliable that page is, but seems that American kids are much fatter than for example Finnish. Some states have 20% child obesity, when in Finland it's 20% either overweight or obese. 11% of high school girls are overweight or obese, meaning that 89% are normal weight or underweight.

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

This govt site says 36.5% obesity.
Hmmm, the last source I read said 31%. 36.5% is significantly higher, and well alarming of course. I agree that the culture here tends to be more accepting of fatties (A.K.A. Fat acceptance movement ). If you notice, places with better public transit and more of an outdoorsy culture seem to have less obesity rates. The South has bad rates mostly because of poor diet and sedentary lifestyle.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:57 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
America has gotten fatter

Mapping the Spread of Obesity | FlowingData

Old 09-26-2016, 01:01 PM

And the way people think nowadays doesn't help, since "condemning" fat people isn't politically correct and "insensitive". It seems we promote being unhealthy and fat instead of letting people know that it's unhealthy.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
It's still rather stigmatized

Old 09-26-2016, 01:11 PM

Maybe up there in Massachusetts. Something tells me it's more stigmatized in northern, liberal, urban cities than it is down here.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:31 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
And the way people think nowadays doesn't help, since "condemning" fat people isn't politically correct and "insensitive". It seems we promote being unhealthy and fat instead of letting people know that it's unhealthy.
Or 'plus sized models'.

People say 'Oh you're big and beautiful' to some girl who is 5'5 and 300 pounds but if that same girl was 100 pounds people would say 'Sick! She's so thin! Society has made you that way!'.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:31 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
The guys in TYT always yap about 'big girls' and that it's 'ok'. Jesus, smoking and drinking is unhealthy, so is it being a fatso who can't walk up two stairs without panting. Obesity is a serious proble in the whole Western World, so stop the madness to say that it's acceptable. Go for a walk or something and put down that ice cream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8roXkTNvVY

Old 09-26-2016, 01:38 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,410,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Or 'plus sized models'.

People say 'Oh you're big and beautiful' to some girl who is 5'5 and 300 pounds but if that same girl was 100 pounds people would say 'Sick! She's so thin! Society has made you that way!'.
Its a lot easier to tell a girl she is too thin than too fat. None the less, it should not be about what weight people want you but rather what weight is actually healthy and acceptable to you. Which is part of the fat acceptance movement and the only part of it I do support.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:39 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,594,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Its a lot easier to tell a girl she is too thin than too fat. None the less, it should not be about what weight people want you but rather what weight is actually healthy and acceptable to you. Which is part of the fat acceptance movement and the only part of it I do support.
It's about being healthy, full stop. It's possible to be healthy and a little overweight - but I'm talking a BMI of like 25-27, not 30+. You have to draw the line somewhere.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:45 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,601,996 times
I must selectively erase all of the obese people from my memory, because I don't notice that many here. Granted, they do exist, but it doesn't feel like 60% of the population is obese!

What winds me up is when morbidly obese women call themselves 'curvy', when they are really just Mt Everest made of fat. Actual curvy would be someone like Sofia Vergara etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather