Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 01:46 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I must selectively erase all of the obese people from my memory, because I don't notice that many here. Granted, they do exist, but it doesn't feel like 60% of the population is obese!

What winds me up is when morbidly obese women call themselves 'curvy', when they are really just Mt Everest made of fat. Actual curvy would be someone like Sofia Vergara etc.
60% are overweight and obese. You probably don't notice people are 'only' overweight because that's normal and they don't stand out. The morbidly obese people stand out anywhere.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:56 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
60% are overweight and obese. You probably don't notice people are 'only' overweight because that's normal and they don't stand out. The morbidly obese people stand out anywhere.
I don't notice that many overweight people either. If I had to guess I'd say maybe 20-25% in this area would be overweight or obese, certainly not 60! Maybe I just choose to ignore them?

Is this classing people as overweight by BMI?

Old 09-26-2016, 02:02 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,372,298 times
Quote:
Or 'plus sized models'.

People say 'Oh you're big and beautiful' to some girl who is 5'5 and 300 pounds but if that same girl was 100 pounds people would say 'Sick! She's so thin! Society has made you that way!'.
Yeah, exactly lol. Funny how "body shaming" only works one way to these people. And I've even see people talk **** about people who workout and eat healthy. "Oh, you only do it to look good" or "You only do it because that's what society tells you" or "wow!! You must not enjoy life" Yeah because eating crap food and drinking until your liver gives out is the only way to enjoy life right? And honestly, you can balance out both. Eating greasy food and drinking a lot is OK as long as it's not an everyday thing. Balance is all it takes. I will never understand the people who absolutely "need" to eat pizza or hamburgers every time they eat.

And yeah, telling a girl who's 300 pounds that she's fat because she's lazy and eat crap food is "judgmental" but calling a girl who's thin a "stick" or ewwww you're just a bag of bones is perfectly fine. God forbid we tell people 200 pounds overweight to take some responsibility for their health problems without being called a prick. Most of these people always blame something stupid like "genetics" or a "slow metabolism" or a "thyroid problem" when these things really only affect a minuscule percentage of the population.

And honestly me, being a former fat person and losing a bunch of weight, have no sympathy for people like that. If you don't like how you look, do something about it, put down your donut and go for a walk or something. Get off your ass. Sitting around stuffing your face, not moving all day and then wanting sympathy is stupid.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I must selectively erase all of the obese people from my memory, because I don't notice that many here. Granted, they do exist, but it doesn't feel like 60% of the population is obese!

What winds me up is when morbidly obese women call themselves 'curvy', when they are really just Mt Everest made of fat. Actual curvy would be someone like Sofia Vergara etc.
Omg this so many times over and over. Some women act like you have to be 100 lbs overweight so be considered "curvy". I can't even tell you how many times I've seen a fit girl with a big ass and boobs and a thin waist not be classified as "curvy" because she doesn't have a belly. Something tells me that women who do this do it to move away from the fact that they are fat ****s.

It's comparable to a guy who's fat as **** saying he is "muscular". People would laugh at a dude like that, yet when women do it it's perfectly fine.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I don't notice that many overweight people either. If I had to guess I'd say maybe 20-25% in this area would be overweight or obese, certainly not 60! Maybe I just choose to ignore them?

Is this classing people as overweight by BMI?
Yes - so some people who are overweight according to BMI might be muscular, or otherwise perfectly healthy - but I have a feeling this won't apply in the majority of cases.

London has fewer obese people than the UK average, but still probably within the region of 50%. All but one of the lowest 10 are London boroughs (Brighton and Hove).

Old 09-26-2016, 02:13 PM

Yeah, BMI is kind of misleading. My BMI is overweight, but I have a lean and muscular physique. Most people think I weigh 170-180 when I really weigh 215 lol.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:15 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Probably the same trend in US, UK and Finland; less education, less income, and more rural - more overweight.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:17 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,604,174 times
Quote:
Yes - so some people who are overweight according to BMI might be muscular, or otherwise perfectly healthy - but I have a feeling this won't apply in the majority of cases.

London has fewer obese people than the UK average, but still probably within the region of 50%. All but one of the lowest 10 are London boroughs (Brighton and Hove).
Every time I visit friends in Surrey, the majority of people are in shape.

In this area (Hounslow, Twickenham, Brentford, Richmond etc), it seems like everyone is super fit or in shape.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:19 PM

Most people in my area seem to be in shape too - and there are always loads of people running and cycling.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:20 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,459,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Maybe up there in Massachusetts. Something tells me it's more stigmatized in northern, liberal, urban cities than it is down here.
"Fat acceptance" is liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather