Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 11:48 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,387,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Curious what the people who didn't like the January cold front think of this February heat wave? Obviously neither are regular events, but since this thread exploded for the cold, I am curious about opinions on the heat.
Further proves the narrative, unstable during winter with strong continental influence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2024, 07:04 AM

2,819 posts, read 1,407,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humid Subtropical View Post
Further proves the narrative, unstable during winter with strong continental influence
The strong continental influence really isn't correct I'm afraid. To have strong continental influence a climate would have to be borderline continental, and the only place in Texas that even reaches the temperature criteria for that (Dalhart) is dry enough to be a BSk climate, meaning not even it has strong continental influence.

What these people with that narrative are actually thinking is a lack of any moderating influence to prevent wild and unstable temperature swings from a variety of influences. This is not the same thing as strong continental influence.

That being said, such wild swings and unstable low-sun weather are some of my all-time favorite things about Southeast US weather monitoring. Even in places like South Carolina there's plenty of fun to be had watching it fluctuate between hot and cold, but Texas of course is king here.

Old 02-27-2024, 02:17 PM

5,724 posts, read 3,506,899 times
The reason the thread exploded for the cold but not for the warmth is because winter cold is more impactful than winter heat.

Don't believe me? Try asking the 246 people killed in Texas by the 2021 cold wave. If you're unable to contact them, then try asking Emman because they clearly get it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emman85 View Post
Even though I think the southeast is firmly subtropical it is frustrating that our otherwise mild winters are interrupted by these damn arctic cold blasts. With our January averages in Augusta, 58/39 we should be able to easily grow norfolk island pines and large jacarandas. Many other places with these averages are zone 9b/10a, but here we sit at 8b.

I want to grow norfolk island pines, ficus elastica, and schefflera trees(in the ground) but you'd have to get at least into central Florida to grow those reliably. But by that point it's almost tropical and I cannot stand hot, muggy weather that long. Well, I'm happy we can at least grow large palmettos, philodendron selloum, washingtonia robusta, and camphor trees, 8b is still good for a lot of tropicals/subtropicals.

Old 02-27-2024, 02:29 PM

83 posts, read 69,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
The reason the thread exploded for the cold but not for the warmth is because winter cold is more impactful than winter heat.

Don't believe me? Try asking the 246 people killed in Texas by the 2021 cold wave. If you're unable to contact them, then try asking Emman because they clearly get it:
It's because we lost power, which caused our homes to get dangerously cold. The reason why not many people in Texas die during the summer is because we have reliable air conditioning (and we are used to the heat). Compare the Texas cold wave to the 2003 European heatwave. Because many parts of Europe don't commonly have air conditioning, this caused a lot of deaths. Also, that was pretty disrespectful.

Old 02-27-2024, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teegurr View Post
It's because we lost power, which caused our homes to get dangerously cold. The reason why not many people in Texas die during the summer is because we have reliable air conditioning (and we are used to the heat). Compare the Texas cold wave to the 2003 European heatwave. Because many parts of Europe don't commonly have air conditioning, this caused a lot of deaths. Also, that was pretty disrespectful.
Read my post again.

I wasn't talking about summer heat; that can obviously be very dangerous.

I was talking about winter heat. How many people die from 80°F in winter?

Old 02-27-2024, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaris View Post
Yeah, no:

Cold is more impactful for Texas because that kind of cold is rarer, and that defeats your whole agenda
I said winter heat.

Old 02-27-2024, 09:15 PM

83 posts, read 69,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Read my post again.

I wasn't talking about summer heat; that can obviously be very dangerous.

I was talking about winter heat. How many people die from 80°F in winter?
Ok, true. I do need to pay more attention. But who cares? Obviously severely cold temperatures are more deadly and scary for Texans than 80 degree balmy weather, which is just kind of nice/interesting. That's why they are noticed more. And yes, it won't get deadly hot in the winter, because it's winter. Just like we don't get deadly cold in the summer. But we frequently get warm spells during the winter just as often as we get cold spells.

Old 02-28-2024, 07:33 AM

2,819 posts, read 1,407,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teegurr View Post
But we frequently get warm spells during the winter just as often as we get cold spells.
For College Station specifically which is where I assume you are referring to, just as often is a big understatement in my opinion.

All of the winter months have either warm averages or warm average highs at least, whereas the average lows are moderately cool at worst and the cold is just a handful of slightly to moderately cold nights (so as you doubtless have experienced, warmth is consistent and reliable while cold is minimal and short).

Last edited by Can't think of username; 02-28-2024 at 07:48 AM..

Old 02-29-2024, 01:44 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,851,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaris View Post
Yeah, no:

Cold is more impactful for Texas because that kind of cold is rarer, and that defeats your whole agenda

Cold weather is more deadly than hot weather across the board. It is not even close. Deaths from excess heat is around 500,000 per year globally. Deaths from excess cold is around 4.6 million

https://thebreakthrough.org/issues/e...climate-change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather