Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Ramsar, Iran: Mediterranean or subtropical?
Mediterranean (Csa) 8 34.78%
Subtropical (Cfa) 14 60.87%
Something else entirely 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 08:16 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,932 times

Advertisements

Mediterranean. Summer is clearly the driest season and while October may not be a winter month, it is still in the cool season.

In the low sun season, 66.5% of its annual precipitation falls, not extreme but still a significant enough amount to be mentioned. Of the 6 wettest months, only September is outside of the low sun season.

October also has more rainfall than the 5 warm season months from April to August combined (273.1-259.4).

The wet season is clearly September to December. 3 of those are cool season months and none of them would be considered a summer month.

It's just a Mediterranean climate with a slightly earlier precipitation peak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 10:00 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
It's a humid subtropical climate (Cfa) with a bit of oceanic climate (Cfb) influence due to low sunshine hours and long damp winter.

The rainfall is too inconsistent throughout the year for it to be Mediterranean. The humidity is also way too high. And it's also far too green.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:40 PM

5,741 posts, read 3,516,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
It's a humid subtropical climate (Cfa) with a bit of oceanic climate (Cfb) influence due to low sunshine hours and long damp winter.

The rainfall is too inconsistent throughout the year for it to be Mediterranean. The humidity is also way too high. And it's also far too green.
Oceanic influence in the winter is the hallmark of a Mediterranean climate though.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Oceanic influence in the winter is the hallmark of a Mediterranean climate though.
Yeah I know. But Ramsar's wet winters seem to be rather long and consistently wet (if not too wet). Also, September and October (Spring) are much more rainier than the winter. And February (winter month) is drier than August (summer month).

Even the most wettest Med climates (like Kalamunda for instance) have rather short wet winters which give away to a pronounce dry season. That's something Ramsar doesn't do.

Old 03-05-2017, 12:25 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Clearly Cfa. Sustained summer high pressure is the hallmark of a Mediterranean climate, more so than rainfall, and Ramsar ain't looking like a place with sustained summer high pressure.

Winter conditions are irrelevant in this discussion, as Ramsar clearly fits the C criteria, and could be any type of C climate in winter.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:43 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,788 times
Csa doesn't mean the winter is wet, or that the winter is much wetter than the summer. It means the summer is really dry in an otherwise non-arid climate, and the summers here aren't that dry. I'd say Cfa.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:51 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,506,777 times
Quote:

Northern coastal/near interior California's climates are stonewall mediterranean, yet are extremely green due to the high winter rainfall... I fail to see a contradiction there

Google street view Shelter Cove and Willow Creek and you'll see very green mediterranean climates.

Ramsar is humid subtropical. I don't like how the wettest month is in October for a mediterranean climate, although I could let that slip had July had less than 30 mm of rainfall, which it hasn't.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Northern coastal/near interior California's climates are stonewall mediterranean, yet are extremely green due to the high winter rainfall... I fail to see a contradiction there
I know that there are green Csa climates like those in northern Californian. But there was some sort of a "tropical moist forest" vibe in those woodland pics of Rasmar (which I can't put a finger on). They resemble the forests in southeastern Asia.

Mediterranean forests still look "different" or distinct to me, as green as they are. I don't know why.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:10 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Winter is also not the rainiest season in either Monaco or Marseille.
overdrive1979 made a map showing the wettest month of the year in select European cities:

European stability maps and both rainiest and rainless months of the year

The NW Med has October or November rainfall maxes, with fall being the wettest season for most locations.

Quote:
Even the most wettest Med climates (like Kalamunda for instance) have rather short wet winters which give away to a pronounce dry season. That's something Ramsar doesn't do.
While WA has some of the wettest med climates, their dry season is more prononced than those of the NW Med basin. Kalamunda only gets about 100 mm in its driest 5-month period, compared to 190 in Barcelona, 180 in Nice, 220 in Rome or 230 in Naples for example. Basically the whole area between Valencia and southern Italy.

So I don't think the rainfall pattern woud disqualify Ramsar from being mediterranean. But what mediterranean climate doesn't even get 200 hours in its sunniest month? The lushness of the vegetation compared to similarly wet med climates probably has a lot to do with the cloudy summers.

Here's last July there:
Synop report summary

15 days with rainfall? Couldn't happen in a med climate.

Sure, most Julies aren't that wet, but even dry ones are still on the cloudy side:
Synop report summary

Old 03-05-2017, 05:28 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Clearly Cfa. Sustained summer high pressure is the hallmark of a Mediterranean climate, more so than rainfall, and Ramsar ain't looking like a place with sustained summer high pressure.

Winter conditions are irrelevant in this discussion, as Ramsar clearly fits the C criteria, and could be any type of C climate in winter.
I agree with Joe.

1500 Average annual sunshine hours is too gloomy for Med.
If that's Med ....then Prince Rupert, BC could be Med. too

Also the veg in those photos screams Humid Subtropical to me,
discounting those "planted" super tall Mexican Fan Palms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather