Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2017, 10:48 AM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,919 times

Advertisements

Grass is pretty brown (from yesterday).

Got some rain overnight; I measured 0.68". Nice sky yesterday evening - I'm assuming these clouds were a sign of the approaching system.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 09:06 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
December 17-18, 2017. Trip to Southern Vermont. Posting only 27 of the 250+ images I took. Not bad. lol

1st... My route going there in blue (more boring) and coming back in yellow (more interesting)

9am. Passing through Hartford.. 25°F(-4C). River starting to partially freeze in spots.

10am. Passing though northern Massachusetts. 21°F(-6C). Huge difference already with snowpack..

11am. Welcome to Vermont. 18°F (-8C)

Ate lunch here on Route 9 in West Brattleboro. Air crisp, scene snowy. Rivers and Lakes all frozen over with snow on it. Was only 3 hrs away from home..

Mmmm, Sugar, Syrup and Snow.

I'm used to seeing "Warning" signs for Bears only in parks, but cool to see Bear Crossing signs.

Did a Horse and Sleigh ride through a farm and woods for an hour.

Temp was 15°(-9C) with little wind at this time, (was 1°F(-17C) few hours earlier).

They gave us blankets. Everyone was layered up. I was enjoying every minute of it. Didn't bother me and few on the sled. Wasn't that bad.

We stopped at a cabin along the way.

I forgot the mountain in the backdrop, Nei might know. Mount Snow?

Note the skies.. Was an awesome day with a warm front approaching...Kinda felt weird being in the teens with a warm front coming.

Inside the cabin they had hot chocolate ready for us and a warm room being heated with a wood stove. Note the temp inside. I started sweating.

Note the skies on the way back.. was just 30 minutes after.. Clouds moving in. Still just 17°F (-8C) at 2:30pm. Felt great.

Lots of Icicles around. A lot of homes had ladders on them ready to rake the snow off roof which I noticed were angled more often than back home.

Spoiler

Inside hotel.. Of course...weather.. I never saw Matt Noyes on tv. Cool. Funny how they had NBC Boston on there. 30s back home, yuck.

Spoiler

Had snowed lightly overnight with a dusting..

Next day heading to Manchester, VT 45 min Northwest of Brattleboro.. snow showers were possible and I was heading into the Green Mountains.

Passed through small towns, almost forgot to slow down through each one.

These covered bridges seem common in Massachusetts and Vermont. I forget why or maybe its just part of history.

Cool supports for the Bridge! River frozen below.

Love the Green road signs.

Ummm, wha?

What the heck? Is this legal? Lots of CO2 going into the air.

President Lincolns Family Home Museum. Wont bore you with inside pics although pretty interesting! Was starting to snow. They only called for an inch around here but I know mountain weather can be surprising.

After 30 minutes was coming down harder.. Visibility dropping. Love this weather and the entire Manchester area! Elevation was only 1000' I believe here.

They didn't mind.. Jogging in the snow. Love the locals around, they seemed very cool and friendly.

One more from Manchester

Quote:

On Route 7 still which goes all the way down to southern CT, wonder if it looked like this back home. lol

Was checking radar all morning I knew would clear up as I headed south but I didn't expect this just 40 minutes away! Elevation was about 600' here in Bennington, Vermont. Interesting!

After passing through Bennington just 15 minutes away it looked like this.

Had some cool views along the way back on Route 7 and Route 20. This might of been in MA.

And I'm back...

Last edited by Cambium; 12-19-2017 at 09:15 AM..

Old 12-19-2017, 09:24 AM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
December 17-18, 2017. Trip to Southern Vermont. Posting only 27 of the 250+ images I took. Not bad. lol

1st... My route going there in blue (more boring) and coming back in yellow (more interesting)

Had some cool views along the way back on Route 7 and Route 20. This might of been in MA.

And I'm back...

Wow, seems like a great trip. Did you experience any subzero temps at all? Single digits at least?

Old 12-19-2017, 09:50 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Wow, seems like a great trip. Did you experience any subzero temps at all? Single digits at least?

Just missed it actually. Morning of was low single digits but I arrived around lunchtime.
The temp simply hovered 17-19°F all day and night.
Warm front came through and was low 20s next morning.

And 40s today so I'm glad I went and left before this warmup.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:34 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Very gloomy today in Oslo:

Old 12-19-2017, 01:14 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Quote:
Sounds like a great trip. And great weather.

I especially enjoyed the photos of small towns. Looks lovely there, wouldn't mind having that a weekend trip away from home. Btw I see Quebec City on the map, strange that they indicate a foreign city on the local TV forecast.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:35 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Covered bridges? I thought they only existed in Madison County . Vermont looks great.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:

I-91 isn't that exciting; and further west is hillier.

Quote:
11am. Welcome to Vermont. 18°F (-8C)
surprised how much more wintry it looks up there only 40 miles north.

Quote:
Did a Horse and Sleigh ride through a farm and woods for an hour.
looks fun

Quote:
I forgot the mountain in the backdrop, Nei might know. Mount Snow?
you're somewhere between Brattleboro and Wilmington, right? Mt. Snow, then. From a different angle than I'm used to; it's very visible from the higher hills near me.

Quote:
Next day heading to Manchester, VT 45 min Northwest of Brattleboro.. snow showers were possible and I was heading into the Green Mountains.

Passed through small towns, almost forgot to slow down through each one.
Manchester in the summer is overwhelmed with tourists mainly there to shop at expensive boutiques and outlet stores. Didn't care for it, but maybe it has more charm in the winter. Arlington, 7 miles south, is a really neat little town

Quote:
These covered bridges seem common in Massachusetts and Vermont. I forget why or maybe its just part of history.
Neat to find them biking.

Quote:
What the heck? Is this legal? Lots of CO2 going into the air.
Burning extra wood? In Massachusetts it's only allowed in early spring. Vermont may be a very liberal state, but it's still rural. Less rules for a lot of stuff; locals would know better what that was for.

Quote:
They didn't mind.. Jogging in the snow. Love the locals around, they seemed very cool and friendly.

A lot of the locals there look quite athletic. Not going to let snow stop them.

Quote:
On Route 7 still which goes all the way down to southern CT, wonder if it looked like this back home. lol
looks awful to drive on.

Quote:
After passing through Bennington just 15 minutes away it looked like this.
area by Bennington is in a neat valley with low mountains on both sides. Thanks for sharing your trip photos.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
Hi guys!

This December has been incredibly snowy in here, actually the most snowy December I can remember of.

Let's start with the pictures of the 1st and 2nd of December

One week after, the 8th of December, the view was like this:

The evening of the 9th it started to snow again, and it went on until Monday evening. For this I have less pictures, but it snowed even more than the previous time!

^ these pictures where taken more or less in the middle of the snowfall, the peak dept was close to 40-50 cm!

And today the view is still like this:

Summarising:
More than 50 cm of snow fallen in less than one month
17 consecutive days of snow on the ground

The both of these data are really remarkable in comparison with the average winter here at my place, in the last few years we didn't get as much even during the whole winter.

looks very snowy, especially for there. Mountains are impressive looking as always. Poor cat! How'd he get there?

Old 12-19-2017, 10:31 PM

short bike ride on Sunday. Was 29°F (-2°C). Don't usually bike in that cold, but wanted to get out and move a bit. Town is nice enough to plow the bike path, some ice patches lingered

felt cold on my face and hands since my gloves weren't thick. After a couple of miles, blood was moving harder and I warmed up. Close to sunset

slight downhill meant my hands were getting cold, but I only had 1.5 miles left

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather