Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate the climate of Bayankhongor?
A 2 5.41%
B 3 8.11%
C 4 10.81%
D 11 29.73%
E 6 16.22%
F 11 29.73%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 01:58 PM

1,218 posts, read 686,212 times

Advertisements

Couldn't believe the winter sun totals when I saw them, calculations reveal it to be 92% in January! I thought maybe it was 160.5 hours but I checked the source and it is definitely 260.5!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayankhongor

Definitely an A climate! It is better than Khatgal or Uliastai as it is warmer and sunnier. Note that it would get snow in winter sometimes despite the dryness, because it is so cold that almost all precipitation would have to be snow. Also, snow would fall in Spring and Autumn and would remain on the ground in Winter. I wonder how much there is on the ground now.
Attached Thumbnails
Rate the climate: Bayankhongor, Mongolia-bayankhongor-climate.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 02:41 PM

13,484 posts, read 9,025,623 times
F. Awful. Freezing cold winters, cold springs & autumns & mediocre summers which have cold nights

Old 01-07-2018, 02:44 PM

240 posts, read 253,870 times
A solid E climate.

The one positive is that the summers (albeit not as warm as I'd like) are comfortable and sunny.

Otherwise, this climate is awful: long, frigid winters with laughably little snow, and all around just too dry.
MAYBE you'd enjoy this climate if you just love the sun and hate cloudy weather; but then again, most sun worshippers also prefer warm weather, so I don't think Bayankhongor's winters would please many people.

Old 01-07-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
F. Awful. Freezing cold winters, cold springs & autumns & mediocre summers which have cold nights
It's sunnier than Malta, just to let you know

Old 01-07-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonj417 View Post
It's sunnier than Malta, just to let you know
And? Who cares if it's freezing cold you plank

Old 01-07-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoStrata View Post
A solid E climate.

The one positive is that the summers (albeit not as warm as I'd like) are comfortable and sunny.

Otherwise, this climate is awful: long, frigid winters with laughably little snow, and all around just too dry.
MAYBE you'd enjoy this climate if you just love the sun and hate cloudy weather; but then again, most sun worshippers also prefer warm weather, so I don't think Bayankhongor's winters would please many people.
This is a climate for heat haters and sun lovers like me. I hate those winter sun adverts to like Singapore or somewhere like that in December which is a cloudy, wet, humid and hot hellhole, that's winter HEAT not SUN. This is winter sun (92% of daylight hours in January). Also it gets more snow than you think, as it will have far more snow cover days than snowfall days, as it has a permafrost in the winter.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
It's average high is -11°C in the coldest month, I think you would be surprised how much of a greenhouse effect there would be, especially in old-style conservatories and with 20°+ sun angle beaming through for hours. Failing that, some heaters would do the job. Obviously on cloudy days and at night it would be dramatically colder.
Rubbish. My Mum has a conservatory in the UK & doesn't go in it at all during the winter as it is far too expensive to heat & that's in mild temperatures. Somewhere that has average highs of -11C is not the sort of place you would be sat in a conservatory lol.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Rubbish. My Mum has a conservatory in the UK & doesn't go in it at all during the winter as it is far too expensive to heat & that's in mild temperatures. Somewhere that has average highs of -11C is not the sort of place you would be sat in a conservatory lol.
On sunny winter days, it’s definetly warm enough in my conservatory. Gets up to 21C in the shade, and 30C in the sun. That’s the proper, single glazed conservatory with transparent roofs. Your Mum either has a shaded garden, or a double glazed conservatory.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taralga Hunter View Post
How many fellas do you think would care about the life of a bloody chicken? Chickens were bred for two things: eggs and poultry meat. Don't like it? Then bugger off.

I own many chickens, sheep and cattle on my farm between Porters Retreat, Black Springs and here. What do I breed them for, you ask? For products, of course! They haven't a use for anything else, young boy.
Yep, using their lives for profit, that’s the attitude of greedy farmers. You obviously have no problem with slaughtering animals, my point is most people wouldn’t. Also people keep chickens as pets, I have no problem with people eating those eggs. To say people don’t love their pets is wrong. Those same people eat other chickens, I know as I used to do it.

You don’t love your animals, you hate them.

Old 01-07-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
On sunny winter days, it’s definetly warm enough in my conservatory. Gets up to 21C in the shade, and 30C in the sun. That’s the proper, single glazed conservatory with transparent roofs. Your Mum either has a shaded garden, or a double glazed conservatory.
But you don't live in Bayankhongor do you & don't get average highs of -11C

And no my Mum's conservatory is in the sun, it just never gets warm enough to sit in during the winter without heating...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather