Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 06:05 PM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times

Advertisements

Beats me, i hate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 06:17 PM

110 posts, read 154,020 times
Because we are primates.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:35 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Yeung View Post
Why do people like hot weather? Discuss.
addendum: Oops! Stupid me. I misread your post as "Why do people not like hot weather?" I'll leave what I wrote anyway for those who might ask why people don't like hot weather. Sorry. I should read more carefully.

Okay, you asked. This is a true story, because it happened to me about two years ago. Woke up to a beautiful day. Not a cloud in the sky and forecast winds, according to usairnet.com, would be light. Based on the wind direction and velocity, decided to take a bike ride to Tehachapi. From where I lived in Palmdale, out and back would make a nice century ride, and a great lunch stop at the turn-around spot.

Rode the first twenty-something miles to a town called Rosamond and stopped in the shadows of a building that was a wine tasting room for a quick bite to eat and drink some water. First thing I noticed after stopping is that I started sweating all over. The transition was amazing. I now had a real-live experience of what I taught in my weather class. That wind evaporates water quickly. While riding, I was creating my own wind and my sweat was quickly evaporating and my arms, legs, and neck were dry, (albeit salty to the taste). When I stopped moving, I started profusely sweating...a lot!

Then I went to drink some water, and it was as hot as tea! There is nothing less satisfying to drink when thirsty than hot water. Oh well. Off I set up the hill through the windmill farm. Not a steep grade, but long. And out in the open. No trees or shade in the high desert.

Got about half way up the grade and I started feeling "weird". A little light-headed and dizzy. Legs started giving out too. Just didn't have any power in them anymore. "Uh oh! Something's not right."

I was only thirty or so miles into my century and immediately turned around and headed for home. Oh, what an awful ride. I stopped at every little store on the way, of which there were precious few, and purchase the coldest drink they had. Coming toward me on the other side of the street was the mail lady who stopped when she got to me and asked, "Do you want something to drink?" I must have looked terrible, even from far away. She said she always carry a cooler of cold water for those warm days.

Finally limped home and looked up the temperature. It was 104˚F/40˚C. I had no idea. In the Antelope Valley, hot doesn't really feel hot, just warm. Needless to say, I was wiped out for the rest of the day. I'm sure I was suffering heat exhaustion, nearing heat stroke. It is a bit funny that I didn't cramp that ride, when often I do with intense, sustained riding efforts.

Lesson learned! I now know to check the complete weather forecast now, instead of just the wind. And, I've now retired and moved from the high desert to North Idaho. I'm done with triple digits! Too dangerous to ride in it. I have to laugh inside myself when it gets into the mid-80s and people here in North Idaho complain about "how hot it is". They don't know what "hot" is.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 05-21-2018 at 08:45 PM..

Old 05-21-2018, 11:02 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,459,091 times
You couldn't pay me to live below 35N (as is exemplified by the fact that I moved out of Austin and into a high-COL city, despite the fact that I was doing pretty well down there).

Cold weather, on the other hand, is totally fine. The colder the better!

Old 05-21-2018, 11:31 PM

765 posts, read 574,367 times
It's currently 23C outside, 7C DP and 24km/h winds and I'm inside in the living room where it's about 19C with the windows closed, there's no direct sunlight into the room. I'm wearing trackies, thick socks and a t-shirt under a long sleeve shirt and I am ~freezing~ OMG. I've had to turn the heater on.

In summer, the windows would be open, and I'd be in a t-shirt and shorts and I'd be perfectly comfortable. The advantage of having no direct sunlight into the living room is that even on the hottest days with open windows, it's quite pleasant, only in winter it gets too damn cold.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:36 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Yeung View Post
Why do people like hot weather? Discuss.
Not ALL people like hot weather. I don't.
To me a pleasantly warm is between 65-72F.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:50 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab276 View Post
It's currently 23C outside, 7C DP and 24km/h winds and I'm inside in the living room where it's about 19C with the windows closed, there's no direct sunlight into the room. I'm wearing trackies, thick socks and a t-shirt under a long sleeve shirt and I am ~freezing~ OMG. I've had to turn the heater on.

In summer, the windows would be open, and I'd be in a t-shirt and shorts and I'd be perfectly comfortable. The advantage of having no direct sunlight into the living room is that even on the hottest days with open windows, it's quite pleasant, only in winter it gets too damn cold.

That's funny. I wear a t-shirt at home in winter when it is 8c outside. I guess homes are built differently.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:56 AM

125 posts, read 85,108 times
I’ve never related to those who like hot weather. My health is always better in the winter.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:07 AM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times
I don't mind 85f if dew points are below 60f. But 85+ with dewpoints 73+ is nasty.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:28 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I don't mind 85f if dew points are below 60f. But 85+ with dewpoints 73+ is nasty.
Why do you want to move to Cuba then? They get 6+ months of that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather