U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2019, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Southern West Virginia
489 posts, read 143,979 times
Reputation: 342

Advertisements

I’m in D1 drought right now, but we finally got a thunderstorm today. The raindrops were very large, and it was a good soaking rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2019, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Putnam County, TN
210 posts, read 42,293 times
Reputation: 113
D1 here right now. Also, I noticed that Indian Creek and Martin Creek are low, but they're still running continuously (except in one place someone built a new concrete ford across the former).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I have a few sugar maple trees that lost a good chunk of leaves (turned half brown). I have even watered them. Horrid drought and heat, a very depressing Fall. Plan on going to the Northwoods next weekend to actually have nice Fall weather.
I feel ya. I've been having trouble for weeks keeping my potted Virginian Juniper alive. I've watered a gallon a day, but only a few green needles for quite some time. I also agree that it's a very depressing autumn (which is an unpleasant season for me regardless).

At least my Blue Spruce isn't drying up! But we'd be in REAL trouble if it even started; it's native to desert areas like Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming and Utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2019, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Part time dual resident of 76131 and 46060
2,970 posts, read 2,007,636 times
Reputation: 992
I find it ridiculous that the national weather service depicts much of Tennessee as being abnormally dry or in drought conditions especially given the fact that places like Nashville have a 12 inch surplus of year to date precipitation, why would anyone in their right mind put somewhere like Nashville in a D0 or a D1 designation despite the fact that that area is still well above average for the year, as a matter of fact Nashville has already surpassed their average rainfall for the whole year already with 47.42 inches(the average rainfall for Nashville for a whole year is 47.25 inches), why an agency would ever dream of mentioning drought in a state with abundant annual precipitation is beyond me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2019, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Putnam County, TN
210 posts, read 42,293 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I find it ridiculous that the national weather service depicts much of Tennessee as being abnormally dry or in drought conditions especially given the fact that places like Nashville have a 12 inch surplus of year to date precipitation, why would anyone in their right mind put somewhere like Nashville in a D0 or a D1 designation despite the fact that that area is still well above average for the year, as a matter of fact Nashville has already surpassed their average rainfall for the whole year already with 47.42 inches(the average rainfall for Nashville for a whole year is 47.25 inches), why an agency would ever dream of mentioning drought in a state with abundant annual precipitation is beyond me
I'm not qualified to give a definitive answer, but it's probably about soil moisture and ecological effects.

Yes, we do generally have abundant precipitation. There's the Appalachian Rainforest in East TN, western NC, southwestern VA, northern GA, far western SC and far northeastern AL. Additionally, Tennessee is the sixth-wettest state on average, so it's even closer to being the wettest state than infamously dry places like California and Colorado are to being the driest. Driest 10 Wettest 10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
24,581 posts, read 18,312,073 times
Reputation: 28887
Highs are forecast in the low to mid 90s until Friday here in the Tri-Cities. There is at least some semblance of a rain chance with seasonal temperatures this weekend going into next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM
 
33 posts, read 13,676 times
Reputation: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I find it ridiculous that the national weather service depicts much of Tennessee as being abnormally dry or in drought conditions especially given the fact that places like Nashville have a 12 inch surplus of year to date precipitation, why would anyone in their right mind put somewhere like Nashville in a D0 or a D1 designation despite the fact that that area is still well above average for the year, as a matter of fact Nashville has already surpassed their average rainfall for the whole year already with 47.42 inches(the average rainfall for Nashville for a whole year is 47.25 inches), why an agency would ever dream of mentioning drought in a state with abundant annual precipitation is beyond me
It's pretty simple really. Imagine you won a windfall at the casino, but you spent it all in a few months. Bill collectors are still wanting money today, but you don't have it. It doesn't matter that you had a lot of money earlier in the year, you need it now.

This weather is so bad, it has me considering moving back west or north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
24,581 posts, read 18,312,073 times
Reputation: 28887
Quote:
Originally Posted by loser prole View Post
It's pretty simple really. Imagine you won a windfall at the casino, but you spent it all in a few months. Bill collectors are still wanting money today, but you don't have it. It doesn't matter that you had a lot of money earlier in the year, you need it now.

This weather is so bad, it has me considering moving back west or north.
The climate, at least in this part of the state, has gotten progressively hotter over the past twenty years. The local news station ran a story a few weeks ago about days over 90 degrees, mapped over the time. With some exception (and this year being an exception until the last few weeks), days above 90 have dramatically increased over the past few decades. Personally, I don't remember any temps in the mid-90s in October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
732 posts, read 418,527 times
Reputation: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The climate, at least in this part of the state, has gotten progressively hotter over the past twenty years. The local news station ran a story a few weeks ago about days over 90 degrees, mapped over the time. With some exception (and this year being an exception until the last few weeks), days above 90 have dramatically increased over the past few decades. Personally, I don't remember any temps in the mid-90s in October.
Where was this temperature data taken? Was it in an area that was urbanizing? I think we really underestimate the urban heat island effect...what used to be surrounded by cornfields 30 years ago might be surrounded by vast seas of asphalt today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
732 posts, read 418,527 times
Reputation: 1242
Relief is in sight!!! Upper 90s through this week and then the ridge weakens! 80s and chances for rain late the weekend and next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
24,581 posts, read 18,312,073 times
Reputation: 28887
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Where was this temperature data taken? Was it in an area that was urbanizing? I think we really underestimate the urban heat island effect...what used to be surrounded by cornfields 30 years ago might be surrounded by vast seas of asphalt today.
There may be some impact from that, but this is a small metro that hasn't grown a ton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top