Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 11:28 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times

Advertisements

Anyone aware of the new buzz phrase? "Atmospheric rivers"
Listen to this from British Columbia...today from a friend.

...major highways are closed down to our region. Essential goods travel only. So no retail trucks coming in ... Gas shortages as pipeline is closed down. Limited milk and produce, meat ext.
Hundreds out of their homes due to flooding. Water boil advisory for many. Hubby is doing 12 hour days in emergency services clean up. Long drive there and home.
More rain on the way. Where I live no flooding but lots of businesses closed due to no stock, first Covid 19 lock downs, summer of wild fires and now flooding. Where is it all going to end ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2021, 11:57 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Anyone aware of the new buzz phrase? "Atmospheric rivers"
Listen to this from British Columbia...today from a friend.

...major highways are closed down to our region. Essential goods travel only. So no retail trucks coming in ... Gas shortages as pipeline is closed down. Limited milk and produce, meat ext.
Hundreds out of their homes due to flooding. Water boil advisory for many. Hubby is doing 12 hour days in emergency services clean up. Long drive there and home.
More rain on the way. Where I live no flooding but lots of businesses closed due to no stock, first Covid 19 lock downs, summer of wild fires and now flooding. Where is it all going to end ????

The phrase is not that new, just being made more aware of because of climate change. It was apparently coined in 1998.

The heating of the oceans make these atmospheric rivers carry more water and hence do more damage.

I'm not sure where your friend lives, or when they sent you that info, but goods are flowing as two of the four highways are open again, but I do believe they still want people only to travel if it's essential.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2021/1...open-thursday/

Friends that live in the Okanagan did say panic buyers did buy out some grocery items, but that was immediately after the storm, and that things there are normal again.

Here in Vancouver I didn't see any shortages at all, except one store did run out of eggs, but living downtown I have multiple grocery stores within walking distance and the one I went to did have eggs.

Old 11-26-2021, 02:04 PM

5,740 posts, read 3,516,037 times
Here in Victoria we were short on gasoline for a few days. The highway connecting Victoria to the rest of the island was closed for a day and then overnight for a few nights so no gasoline deliveries could be made. The situation was made much worse by panic buying. Things are getting back to normalish.

Some of the damage to the highways was truly catastrophic. In places the spot where the highway used to run no longer exists.

Highway 8 washout
by B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, on Flickr

Old 11-27-2021, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
Here in Victoria we were short on gasoline for a few days. The highway connecting Victoria to the rest of the island was closed for a day and then overnight for a few nights so no gasoline deliveries could be made. The situation was made much worse by panic buying. Things are getting back to normalish.

Some of the damage to the highways was truly catastrophic. In places the spot where the highway used to run no longer exists.

Highway 8 washout
by B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure, on Flickr
Whoops. I should have included the island.

Old 11-27-2021, 02:01 PM

256 posts, read 155,976 times
Atmospheric rivers aren't a new concept. They were just previously called pineapple expresses. I'm guessing they aren't using that term so much anymore because of the movie and association with cannabis.

Old 11-27-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
Atmospheric rivers aren't a new concept. They were just previously called pineapple expresses. I'm guessing they aren't using that term so much anymore because of the movie and association with cannabis.
The Pineapple Express is a particular Atmospheric River, but is not all Atmospheric Rivers.

Old 11-28-2021, 09:10 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,932,037 times
I’ve lived in WA my whole life and this isn’t a new term for me, happens every November. The only unusual thing is just how many storms/low pressure systems have rolled in this month. It’s not not uncommon to have a string of them hit, hence the term atmospheric river, but I don’t remember so many of these “rivers” hitting us?

Old 11-29-2021, 08:31 PM

256 posts, read 155,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The Pineapple Express is a particular Atmospheric River, but is not all Atmospheric Rivers.
Up until about 10 years ago, that's what any AR was called on the West Coast. It's only recently that the usage has been restricted.

Old 11-30-2021, 09:27 AM

5,740 posts, read 3,516,037 times
Another AR over the next 48 hours with high risk of more damage. Also a winter storm in the Rockies.

Source: https://twitter.com/InteriorWeathe1/...nPQp92DQQ&s=19

Old 08-22-2022, 09:58 AM

26,419 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Looks like another massive flood in the US yet again, DFW region this time with 6-12'' of precipitation occurring in under 12 hours. Warming climate means more extremes in terms of drought and floods, and this is exactly what keeps happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather