Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 04:14 PM

2,949 posts, read 2,918,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
I'm from Ireland and even the UK/Ireland doesn't get 4 distinct seasons. The climate is mostly cool-mild throughout the year. Winters being cool however snow isn't common throughout the season, spring is cool-mild, Summer is mild with a few warm days. Then autumn is mild-cool. Southern England although follows this same pattern has summers that are generally warm with some hot days so it actually gets a decent summer unlike most of the UK/Ireland. It still wouldn't be at the level of summers in lower latitudes like the US and much of Europe

Christchurch where I lived for several years also doesn't get four distinct seasons. It follows a similar pattern as the UK/Ireland only warmer and sunnier especially in winter. It gets cool-mild winters, mild-warm spring, warm summers with some hot days and warm-mild autumn.

Perth is essentially mild-warm in winter, warm to hot in spring, hot in summer, then hot-warm in autumn. It doesn't get 4 distinct seasons either. It's never had snow In recorded history and hard frosts are VERY rare. It can drop to mid single digits in winter but by mid morning temps are in the double digits so you barely feel it.

Therefore I've never lived in a 4 season climate like New York and Chicago. Where the summers are as hot as many Australian cities yet it has winter days regularly below freezing with regular snowfall. Such drastic change in the seasons I've always found interesting. If I didn't work outdoors so much I would find it much more appealing. I find here in Australia your lifestyle really only mildly changes from Summer to winter as winters are still mostly quite pleasant but when you look at cities in the US for example it's like people's lifestyle changes dramtically with each season. Summers are so sunny and hot, people are always outdoors, camping, road trips, lakes, beaches, etc. In winter you see people indoors more enjoying indoor entertainment and venues. If they are outdoors they are so heavily wrapped up trying to keep warm and it's looks like a winter wonderland especially over Christmas
Both New York and Chicago lie within the humid continental zone (NY borderline, actually), and that means they have very marked seasons, wich is the no so subtle difference of concept. Your mistake is very common: defining 4 seasons as a synonym of continental. Going by that criteria, then only northern half of North America, the eastern half of Europe, a minority of Asia and marginal locations elsewhere would be the areas in the world experiencing 4 seasons. Sorry but that's very restricted from a human perspective.
Also equaling 'real winters' with the mandatory presence of seasonal snowpack is a minconception. Some of the coldest areas in the world see little to no snow, see inner Antarctica.
To define a universal criteria so should start by taking into account the worldwide averages (like the annual mean, wichs is around 14ºC currently) as the 'grade zero' for general reference..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 05:03 PM

819 posts, read 583,910 times
Spent most of my life in NY/CT with a three-year stint in the Caribbean (spouse's job). Now I'm in the southern part of Oregon.

Growing up, the change of seasons meant changes in activities, most of which were fun. Winter meant fires in the grate, hot chocolate and sledding with friends. Ice skating at the local rink and sometimes outside. Cold-weather food, like stew or soup, roasts with gravy, etc. Hats,, mittens, winter coats and snuggling under the covers at night with a book.

Spring meant shedding those winter clothes and even putting them away while dragging out the summer stuff. Spring meant anticipation that school would end. Everything was green, the flowers were beautiful and lawns were getting mowed accompanied by that sweet smell. Easter meant having a fancy hat, maybe new shoes and a dress for Easter Sunday, chocolate bunnies, daffodils.

Summer meant THE BEACH. Then more beach. Coming home at the end of the day and taking a blissful shower while anticipating dinner of bbq'd 'something', fresh salad, corn on the cob. Light clothing, sandals, shorts, summer dresses; all wonderful stuff. Watermelon!

FALL meant Halloween, apple-picking,, gorgeous foliage, taking out the winter clothes again and feeling warm, fuzzy socks on your feet. The air smelled of leaves and woodsmoke from fireplaces being brought out of hibernation. School starting! Buying school supplies and enjoying those last warm days out on the playground. November meant planning Thanksgiving and learning about The First Thanksgiving in school (yeah, probably bogus but so what?), fun dinner with family, friends, then Christmas coming down the pike and the cycle continues.

As an adult I have a less idealistic vision of seasonal changes but still look forward to them. My part of Oregon has a much milder version of the four seasons but they still happen and I still enjoy them although some beach time on the beautiful, chilly Oregon coast wouldn't go amiss at the height of summer.

Old 06-29-2022, 06:36 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
What sort of temperatures do you get in summer. Is it still muggy at Night?
The humidity usually subsides at night, and we get temps in the 90's in July and August. We have already had several days of mid 90's so far. This summer has been a lot more tolerable than usual, I am hoping that it continues.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:20 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,053 times
I'm in Colorado. We appear to have the normal four seasons, but in reality what we have is shorts and T-shirt season and shorts and sweatshirt season!

Old 06-30-2022, 09:34 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
I wouldnt trade living where there are 4 seasons no matter how old I get. Have never understood people who move to Florida etc when they get older. Yuck!
That's easy. Less taxes, and no bitter cold. I grew up in south FL, but it's nothing like it was back then. No desire to ever live there again, but lots of great places to visit.

Old 06-30-2022, 02:46 PM

9 posts, read 4,266 times
Quote:
Hey guys I have never lived in a climate that experiences 4 distinct seasons like most of the US and parts of Europe and was wondering for those that do what do you think of living in such a climate? I'm talking about places that experience hot sunny Summers and freezing cold winter's where snow is common.

Do you find it hard to adjust temperature wise to each season? Do you love how drastically different each season is and how it charges the entire landscape or would you prefer less change throughout the year?
"Most of the US and parts of Europe"? Uh...more of Europe a 4 seasons climate than the US.

Old 06-30-2022, 03:08 PM

1,503 posts, read 915,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanic View Post
"Most of the US and parts of Europe"? Uh...more of Europe a 4 seasons climate than the US.
What would count as a "four season climate" for you?

Here I've roughly drawn the Jan freezing point isotherms for Europe and the USA which could be used for the winter component.

Last edited by Bisfbath; 06-30-2022 at 03:20 PM..

Old 06-30-2022, 06:59 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post
What would count as a "four season climate" for you?

Here I've roughly drawn the Jan freezing point isotherms for Europe and the USA which could be used for the winter component.

Very cool map! - is that a small area of 0-2C January mean I see for Iceland?

Old 06-30-2022, 09:20 PM

3 posts, read 1,632 times
The rule is clear:

- Too hot = too little clothes.

- Too cold = too many coats.

It's as simple as that.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:40 PM

2,936 posts, read 1,314,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Both New York and Chicago lie within the humid continental zone (NY borderline, actually), and that means they have very marked seasons, wich is the no so subtle difference of concept. Your mistake is very common: defining 4 seasons as a synonym of continental. Going by that criteria, then only northern half of North America, the eastern half of Europe, a minority of Asia and marginal locations elsewhere would be the areas in the world experiencing 4 seasons. Sorry but that's very restricted from a human perspective.
Also equaling 'real winters' with the mandatory presence of seasonal snowpack is a minconception. Some of the coldest areas in the world see little to no snow, see inner Antarctica.
To define a universal criteria so should start by taking into account the worldwide averages (like the annual mean, wichs is around 14ºC currently) as the 'grade zero' for general reference..
That's not true, i simply used New York and Chicago as an example. Winters don't have to be hot and humid nor winters full of snow. I was simply referring to cities where each seasons is VERY distinct from each other giving way for a change of lifestyle with each season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather