Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 09:11 AM

5,749 posts, read 3,523,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
Rare Late-Season Heat Hitting Eastern Australia
( source: Weatherzone )

Western Sydney could see its second 40ºC of the month this weekend, with intense late-season heat also hitting Brisbane, Canberra and Melbourne over the next few days.
Two separate tongues of hot air will sweep across eastern and southeastern Australia during the next four days. This type of weather pattern is more typical of summer than early autumn, with some places likely to see their hottest weather this late in the season for more than 20 years.

The first pulse of heat will target NSW and Qld on Thursday and Friday:
Temperatures should push into the mid-thirties in Brisbane and Sydney on Thursday.
This could be the first time since 2019 that both cities reach 35ºC on the same day.
Brisbane will see similar temperatures on Friday, although a southerly change will limit heating to the low thirties in Sydney.

A second pulse of hot air will then spread across Victoria on Saturday and up into NSW and the ACT from Saturday into Sunday:
Melbourne is expected to reach 34 to 36ºC on Saturday, which could be its hottest day this late in autumn for 10 years.
Sea breezes will limit heating in eastern Sydney on the weekend, although parts of western Sydney could approach 40ºC on Sunday.
Penrith may reach 40ºC on Sunday, which will be its second 40ºC so far this month and its latest 40ºC autumn day in 25 years. This would also be only the second time on record we have seen two 40ºC days in the Sydney Basin during March.
Canberra is predicted to reach 35ºC on Sunday, which would also be its latest 35ºC day for 25 years.

Sydney's Observatory Hill weather station is forecast to reach 30ºC or higher each day between Thursday and Sunday. This would be the first time in 165 years of records Sydney has seen four consecutive days at or above 30ºC in autumn.

This week’s heat will have beaches packed and air conditioners running like it’s the middle of summer, putting unseasonably high demand on both surf life savers and the National Electricity Market.
Humid too in Brisbane with coastal and bayside locations having dew point temperatures of 25°C or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 02:30 PM

2,950 posts, read 2,920,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
Max temperature anomaly of the first 10 days of March in Argentina:

So bizarre that they had to add new colors to the scale.
Indeed.
We just ended what it will enters our weather's history books as the "fortnight of fire". Don't get me wrong, it's still abnormaly hot for the date as today, but since wednesday it's no longer THAT absurdly above anymore. Look at how the averages went:

1st half of March, 2023:

Mean: 29,6°C (+6,7°C)
Avg min: 25,3°C (+6,6°C)
Avg max: 35,2°C (+7,4ºC)

Out of curiosity, I searched to compare this insane streak with one of the most talked and discussed monster heatwaves of the recent years worldwide. You're right: of course, I'm talking the 2021's heatwave of June/July in Canada. So I took the hottest 15 day period from Kamloops (sorry but Lytton isn't very trustworthy) during the aforementioned event:

The problem is that heatwave happened between months (June averages 18.4ºC, July 21.5ºC), so I guess an average of around 19.5-20C for that period of the calendar. The hottest 15 day period averaged 28.3ºC, so that would means circa 8.5C above normal.

The fact that this heatwave we have just suffered, is not that much below on terms of desviation from normal (6.8C vs ≈8.5C for 1981-2010) summarizes perfectly how crazy it has been. It totally rewrote history here.
On a side note, you can notice those high dewpoints to make conditions even worse to deal with.

Last edited by marlaver; 03-17-2023 at 02:44 PM..

Old 03-19-2023, 06:15 PM

839 posts, read 3,077,563 times
Yes, I'm getting so tired of this never-ending heat... It's true, temp has dropped but slightly. One of the things I'm hating about this summer/beginning of fall is the little variability in temps (ie, the lack of decent cool spells that we usually have every summer, those that make our summers more 'liveable'). Normally, in the summer I use the A/C for a streak of days in a row, and then, when it cools down, I can turn it off for a few days until the heat calls for the A/C again, and so on the whole summer. Some heat waves are longer than others, but summers here are like that for me. This summer, OTOH, I had (and still have) my A/C running, and there hasn't been a single day it wasn't in use since late November/early December. Absolutely nuts.

I really hope this heat comes to an end soon!

Old 03-19-2023, 08:30 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,701,377 times
Lo! - "never ending heat" ain't something I'll ever have to worry about here .... the thing with sea breeze climates is that the hotter the inland temperature gets, the more the sea breeze blows.

Impressive heat in Buenos Aires, for sure.

Old 03-22-2023, 08:55 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,006,993 times
Autumn Forecast according to Accuweather. Above normal temperatures and precipitation for here.
Warmer and drier for Southern Brazil, Northern Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay.
Cold and wetter season for Southern Patagonia, meaning frequent cold spells and early snowfall there.

Old 03-22-2023, 08:20 PM

2,950 posts, read 2,920,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Autumn Forecast according to Accuweather. Above normal temperatures and precipitation for here.
Warmer and drier for Southern Brazil, Northern Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay.
Cold and wetter season for Southern Patagonia, meaning frequent cold spells and early snowfall there.

umm we're almost a month in into the Autumn and no signal of early snowfalls for Patagonia yet with the excepction of the southern tip (Tierra del Fuego) wich is a world of its own. Those long range forecast aren't trustworthy at all besides the most obvious and general ENSO signals.

Old 04-12-2023, 06:30 PM

5,749 posts, read 3,523,392 times
Cyclone Ilsa about to strike the coast of Australia east of Port Hedland as a category 4.

Source: Satellite Viewer

Old 04-14-2023, 09:11 PM

421 posts, read 223,292 times
Lmao not accurate so far. Most days have been in the teens since the start of April

Old 04-16-2023, 03:22 PM

839 posts, read 3,077,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
Yes, I'm getting so tired of this never-ending heat... It's true, temp has dropped but slightly. One of the things I'm hating about this summer/beginning of fall is the little variability in temps (ie, the lack of decent cool spells that we usually have every summer, those that make our summers more 'liveable'). Normally, in the summer I use the A/C for a streak of days in a row, and then, when it cools down, I can turn it off for a few days until the heat calls for the A/C again, and so on the whole summer. Some heat waves are longer than others, but summers here are like that for me. This summer, OTOH, I had (and still have) my A/C running, and there hasn't been a single day it wasn't in use since late November/early December. Absolutely nuts.
Now that I think of it, there were some A/C-less days in mid February, when we got that weird summer-cold spell. But that's it.

Old 04-16-2023, 06:23 PM

1,228 posts, read 726,581 times
What a difference 24 hours makes.... yesterday was one of the worst humid oppressive days, 27c overnight, and 32c/26-27c dp's all day.

The 'dry season' arrived today, dp's have dropped below 20c at the Airport this morning !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather