Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2023, 06:46 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,011,860 times

Advertisements

Basically, if you were to turn every single latitude with S into N and every one with N into S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2023, 08:04 PM

Never mind, somebody else made this: WELCOME TO TURNOVIA

Old 03-28-2023, 01:44 PM

1,503 posts, read 915,625 times
I really like the detail in Welcome to Turnovia!

I was thinking that this was a silly question as each location would be pretty much the same except the seasons would be reversed as I hadn't stopped to think that the Earth would be flipped not mirrored, so the rotation of the Earth relative to the continents would be reversed. Ie East Coasts would become West Coasts and vice versa, the coriolis effect would cause the trade winds to blow towards Mauretania and Senegal for example instead of towards the Caribbean etc.

Old 03-29-2023, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post

I was thinking that this was a silly question as each location would be pretty much the same except the seasons would be reversed as I hadn't stopped to think that the Earth would be flipped not mirrored, so the rotation of the Earth relative to the continents would be reversed. Ie East Coasts would become West Coasts and vice versa, the coriolis effect would cause the trade winds to blow towards Mauretania and Senegal for example instead of towards the Caribbean etc.
Well, I didn't think it through that much, I just thought of flipping the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. Also, if I did that without changing anything else, some stuff would still change, right? After all, aren't the waters cold in the Southern Hemisphere where they would be warm in the Northern Hemisphere? (Come to think about it, it's kinda weird that I did remember Turnovia, but forgot that it was a similar concept to this.)

Old 03-29-2023, 09:50 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,314,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackierudetsky View Post
Well, I didn't think it through that much, I just thought of flipping the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. Also, if I did that without changing anything else, some stuff would still change, right? After all, aren't the waters cold in the Southern Hemisphere where they would be warm in the Northern Hemisphere? (Come to think about it, it's kinda weird that I did remember Turnovia, but forgot that it was a similar concept to this.)
The southern hemisphere is milder because there is less landmass in the south. If the Northern and southern landmasses were switched in terms of hemisphere the southern hemisphere would be warmer and cooler than the North.

Old 03-30-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
The southern hemisphere is milder because there is less landmass in the south. If the Northern and southern landmasses were switched in terms of hemisphere the southern hemisphere would be warmer and cooler than the North.
But aren't the waters at 40-69 degrees south rougher and colder than the waters at the equivalent latitudes in the Northern Hemisphere?

Old 03-30-2023, 09:46 AM

1,503 posts, read 915,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackierudetsky View Post
But aren't the waters at 40-69 degrees south rougher and colder than the waters at the equivalent latitudes in the Northern Hemisphere?
They are but that's because there is very little land in those latitudes so the winds can circulate right round Antarctica almost uninterrupted. If you flipped the Earth over then Antarctica would be over the north pole and ~40-60N would have little land and let the winds circle Antarctica uninterrupted. Or did you mean something else by flipping the northern and southern hemispheres?

There would be some relatively minor effects of the Earth being closer to the sun in Jan than it is in July. In actual Earth this slightly counteracts the greater continentality of the NH, but in Turnovia, Eurasia, North America and the majority of Africa would be in the hemisphere that has its summer when the Earth is closest to the sun and winter when it is furthest, so their continentality would be increased.

Old 03-30-2023, 07:51 PM

120 posts, read 75,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisfbath View Post

Definitely wonderful details and thought-experiments regarding such alterations. Although I wish there were some sort of easily accessible tool avaliably to the public to run such altered geographic simulations.

Old 03-30-2023, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemakai View Post
Definitely wonderful details and thought-experiments regarding such alterations. Although I wish there were some sort of easily accessible tool avaliably to the public to run such altered geographic simulations.
I mean, there's this: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...-LyYfdP_yz7MGt

Last edited by jackierudetsky; 03-30-2023 at 08:37 PM..

Old 03-30-2023, 08:38 PM

OK, so that link may or may not work, but either way, it's the first link that comes up here: https://www.google.com/search?q=pete...obile&ie=UTF-8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather