Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 09:37 PM

891 posts, read 363,808 times

Advertisements

Everything points to a wetter and cloudier Earth in the future-- regardless of ENSO phases and other such drivers. We already know that warmer oceans carry greater moisture content and likewise cloud cover, and this trend in particular has accelerated faster over just the last decade more than any time in the last several-thousand years.

The initial prediction in much of the 2010s was for a 'hotter and drier' Earth; however this has ultimately fallen flat on its face in light of new discoveries and observations. I have always doubted that 'consensus', and it turns out I was right. The oceans will eventually get so warm that it will completely overwhelm the climate system, and make for wet and cloudy conditions even in an El Nino (Australia); and La Ninas will be catastrophically wet. The future, is one of storms and floods. Rain records have been shattered just about everywhere in Australia in the last three years and continue to fall.

The bouts of unprecedented heat in the Northern Hemisphere (particularly, Canada and the British Isles), are a signature of the 'initial' warming i.e., without the overwhelming ocean warmth that's about to befall us; and of the rapid glacial melt which consequently has caused the Rossby waves to go haywire. Extreme cold events have also been frequent of late-- a clear signature of these wavy jets introducing unusual airmasses to unusual locations (50 C in Canada; record cold and snows in the Australian summer).

My two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2023, 01:20 AM

2,961 posts, read 1,368,020 times
Where In the world is getting cloudier?

Last edited by Paddy234; 06-09-2023 at 01:40 AM..

Old 06-09-2023, 02:48 AM

891 posts, read 363,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Where In the world is getting cloudier?
Hard to tell as sunshine data is hard to come by these days. Met agencies are getting lazier, especially the BoM lol. But with more rain you will get more cloud as well.

Anyways my post was more of a prediction for the future-- an educated guess using up to date science and observations. We're not quite there yet, even though we're seeing early signs such as this El Nino being a fizzer.

Old 06-09-2023, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterlyWX View Post
Hard to tell as sunshine data is hard to come by these days. Met agencies are getting lazier, especially the BoM lol. But with more rain you will get more cloud as well.
All I know is that our sunshine hours here is actually above average in the last few years recieving over 3400 hours of sunshine so certainly not getting cloudier. Unfortunately with BOM you have to count it up monthly on the daily data page. Also following NIWA data in New Zealand places like Dunedin in recent years have been getting much higher than average getting 1900 and even over 2000 hours yet it's average Is no different to London. To be fair though Dunedin's average is based on data from over 10 years ago but it still shows it is getting sunnier.

Also Christchurch is now like 2150 hours of sunshine. That's 100 hours more than the last data that was available for it so all these places are getting sunnier. I'd say it's similar in other parts of the world

Old 06-09-2023, 03:13 AM

421 posts, read 234,042 times
Sounds nice.

Old 06-09-2023, 03:35 AM

Also just looking at the Met service just for this year as I couldn't be bothered counting manually for several years but London in the last year recieved over 1750 hours of sunshine so again sunnier than it's average of around 1650. I can't find anywhere that isn't sunnier lol

Old 06-09-2023, 06:03 AM

5,999 posts, read 6,214,017 times
Quote:
Also just looking at the Met service just for this year as I couldn't be bothered counting manually for several years but London in the last year recieved over 1750 hours of sunshine so again sunnier than it's average of around 1650. I can't find anywhere that isn't sunnier lol
The Great Lakes had one of the cloudiest winters ever this year, and most of North America was cloudier than normal (except the Canadian Arctic).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thund...ario-1.6785625

Old 06-09-2023, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
The Great Lakes had one of the cloudiest winters ever this year, and most of North America was cloudier than normal (except the Canadian Arctic).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thund...ario-1.6785625
No doubt there are areas and to be honest we would have to look at this over a 10 year period at least for more reliable averages. All I know is about Western Australia and New Zealand data which I've been following for the last several years and to a certain extent the UK/Ireland.

Old 06-09-2023, 08:19 AM

5,999 posts, read 6,214,017 times
Quote:
No doubt there are areas and to be honest we would have to look at this over a 10 year period at least for more reliable averages. All I know is about Western Australia and New Zealand data which I've been following for the last several years and to a certain extent the UK/Ireland.
Seems like in the north Atlantic and NW Europe, cloud cover has been decreasing, but in the south Atlantic, eastern Pacific and Southern Ocean, cloud cover has increased from 1980 to 2005 (would be nice to see more recent data though).

https://www.carbonbrief.org/clouds-d...ng-since1980s/

Old 06-09-2023, 08:30 AM

30,746 posts, read 21,613,629 times
Not at all. It will make it much drier like in my area that started years ago. As the planet super heats the upper levels will get hotter and have much less lift and the jet stream will go away for good outside of 140 years. FL will become like the ME area of the world on the west coast as we are now stuck in a west flow just about all summer since the 1980's. I already avg around 30" of rain a year while inland 2 to 50 miles gets 60"+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather