Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 08:34 AM

2,938 posts, read 1,316,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
An example of how the Mediterranean is very warm for its latitude. Mersin, Turkey at 36.5N has an annual mean of over 20C. That's almost as warm as Brisbane, warmer than Porto Alegre, Goma and northern coastal NSW, and significantly warmer than Toowoomba, Curitiba and Harare.

I would say that Milan feels oceanic in many ways, but that Rijeka or Zadar start to feel more subtropical since 10C winter daily highs isn't that cold any more.
Very true though Greece and Turkey are continental influenced and given the Mediterranean sea it is situated on is much warmer than the Ocean that Brisbane and NSW is situated on it's summer temperatures will not be heavily moderated by a cooler ocean. The Mediterranean water temperature gets up to 30°C in these areas.

The summers are the reason it's Annual mean is similar to Brisbane. Brisbane is much warmer in Spring, Winter and late Autumn. Obviously due to it being a more oceanic climate with less variation between the seasons compared to Mersin

The summer average lows for Turkey and Greece are impressively high for its latitude.
While other parts of the world such as Western Australia, California, South Africa might share the same name as the Mediterranean climate they are all generally moderated by an ocean while the Mediterranean in Europe is it's own micro climate being on a body of water that is much warmer.

Last edited by Paddy234; 06-11-2023 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2023, 08:58 AM

999 posts, read 329,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondbreakfast View Post
I'm not sure why Dallas is quintessential Cfa. It has hotter summers than most Cfa climates and an almost Mediterranean precipitation pattern. I would have thought somewhere like Atlanta was more typical of Cfa, due to its flat precipitation pattern.
Most true humid subtropical climates have precip concentrated in the hot/warm months (or summer). If you look at places like Brisbane, Jacksonville, Shanghai, ...etc seasonal rainfall is always highest at the time of high sun (summer).

From what I understand of it, in the United States, especially on the inland and northern fringes of the subtropical zone (cities like Dallas and Atlanta), the normal summer rainfall/winter drier pattern gets interrupted by the frequent winter low pressure/storms (whose centers are often well north of these cities) that bring precip in winter and even early spring. So the pattern of high sun rain/low sun drier is often missing from many parts of the USA subtropical zone, esp north and inland.

Old 06-11-2023, 06:51 PM

901 posts, read 348,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
That is a bit extreme. Milan is clearly right on boderline of what is Subtropical and could be regarded as such if we go off Koppen. Even if we didn't it is only a few hours from cities that are clearly subtropical (Csa) such as Rome. Northern Europe would be closer to the Subarctic than subtropics especially Ireland, UK and Scandinavia.

I do agree with you though those winters is why I feel most won't see it as Subtropical. Very different from Southern Italy
Koppen, is a laughing stock of a system. Rome is not subtropical.

Northern Europe wouldn't be 'closer to the subarctic'-- it IS in the subarctic zone! With a very cool climate year round, albeit not exactly a subarctic climate per se in the more southern parts. Northern Europe, meaning north of 54 N (that's my definition of N. Europe-- I don't go by petty national borders).

Subantarctic zone in the S. Hem starts as little as 46 degrees south (Milan's latitude!) til 60 south where it becomes fully-fledged Antarctic (despite being well equatorward of the polar circle). Bouvet Island @ 54 S is a borderline ice cap (!) at sea level. I'd say Antarctic starts more like 57 S rather than 60. South Sandwich and Southern Thule islands are most definitely Antarctic islands.

Last edited by WesterlyWX; 06-11-2023 at 07:06 PM..

Old 06-11-2023, 07:09 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterlyWX View Post
Koppen, is a laughing stock of a system.Rome is not subtropical.

Northern Europe wouldn't be 'closer to the subarctic'-- it IS in the subarctic zone! With a very cool climate year round, albeit not exactly a subarctic climate per se in the more southern parts. Northern Europe, meaning north of 54 N (that's my definition of N. Europe-- I don't go by petty national borders).

Subantarctic zone in the S. Hem starts as little as 46 degrees south (Milan's latitude!) til 60 south where it becomes fully-fledged Antarctic (despite being well equatorward of the polar circle).
It is Cfa though -the issue here isn't whether or not Rome is Cfa, but if subtropical is the right term for Cfa climates.

Do you think the winter threshold to qualify Cfa, should be raised to eliminate Rome from Cfa?

Old 06-11-2023, 07:15 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,074,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I think there's a reasonable case for Milan having subtropical traits, but Jacksonville is more what I think of when I think subtropical.
Same for me.

Jacksonville, Florida climate .....very subtropical.....

Jacksonville, North Carolina is still subtropical ....but so....

Milan, Italy ....not so much....it is like Windsor, Ontario ...but with a milder, very cloudy winter.

Old 06-11-2023, 07:27 PM

2,831 posts, read 1,416,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It is Cfa though -the issue here isn't whether or not Rome is Cfa, but if subtropical is the right term for Cfa climates.

Do you think the winter threshold to qualify Cfa, should be raised to eliminate Rome from Cfa?
I would say not. Look at the massive fiasco of thread after thread after thread, as many deleted as there are still around, of what happens when it is assumed so.

Koppen's warm, moist, temperate climate original term is appropriate if you ask me. Cfa climates are dominated by warm weather, they get plenty of rain to offset evapotranspiration, and the winters (which the term temperate refers to) are neither hot nor cold but either cool or comfortable with no snowpack - if that's not temperate I don't know what is.

All that has to be done is ditching the term subtropical.

Old 06-11-2023, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post

I don't use this 'Cfa' nonsense. I use the original, textbook definition of the subtropics i.e., at the mercy of the Horse Latitudes high pressure ridge all year round. Rome is certainly not under its influence for a sizeable part of the year-- very briefly in the summer and that's it. It's a mild climate most of the year, as opposed to a truly warm climate like Gunnedah NSW (quintessentially subtropical both in latitude and in temperature, rainfall pattern).

I think instead to put in place an ANNUAL temperature threshold-- Rome's is simply too low. It's like Wodonga in Northeast Victoria which is decidedly NOT subtropical and very solidly temperate.

Old 06-11-2023, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
I would say not. Look at the massive fiasco of thread after thread after thread, as many deleted as there are still around, of what happens when it is assumed so.

Koppen's warm, moist, temperate climate original term is appropriate if you ask me. Cfa climates are dominated by warm weather, they get plenty of rain to offset evapotranspiration, and the winters (which the term temperate refers to) are neither hot nor cold but either cool or comfortable with no snowpack - if that's not temperate I don't know what is.

All that has to be done is ditching the term subtropical.
No-- all that has to be done, is separating subtropical from temperate. They should be entirely different categories. Why do you insist on merging the subtropics with the temperate zone? They are wildly different.

Your 'warm moist temperate climate', is not subtropical. Especially the 'moist' part, given that the Subtropics are by far the most arid region on Earth...

Old 06-11-2023, 07:55 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterlyWX View Post
I don't use this 'Cfa' nonsense. I use the original, textbook definition of the subtropics i.e., at the mercy of the Horse Latitudes high pressure ridge all year round. Rome is certainly not under its influence for a sizeable part of the year-- very briefly in the summer and that's it. It's a mild climate most of the year, as opposed to a truly warm climate like Gunnedah NSW (quintessentially subtropical both in latitude and in temperature, rainfall pattern).
Some merit in that - many of the thresholds seem arbitrary.

Quote:
I think instead to put in place an ANNUAL temperature threshold-- Rome's is simply too low. It's like Wodonga in Northeast Victoria which is decidedly NOT subtropical and very solidly temperate.
This creates more problems than solutions imo - temperate climates have a huge range of conditions, so the term is pretty meaningless when trying to understand any climate labelled as such.

Old 06-11-2023, 09:00 PM

2,950 posts, read 2,920,076 times
I have Milan as temperate/subtropical transitional climate (Tts), or subtropical/temperate (a marginal dinstinction) depending on the station used and POR. Thermally it's too cold annually-wise to belong to the warm climate's family where Subtropical, among others, is in. Its annual average places it in the 'neutral' zone thermally, hence the transtional nature. Obviously its subtropical trait comes from the high Pp amounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather