Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2023, 06:24 PM

89 posts, read 77,637 times

Advertisements

https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/1...Linate-Airport

Which place is actually humid subtropical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2023, 06:35 PM

2,819 posts, read 1,407,410 times
Both are Cfa, but Jacksonville without a doubt is much more quintessential. I am not familiar with European climates so I had to do some extra research, but it seems Milan is only 2.5C in the coldest month and 23.6C in the warmest - making Jacksonville WAY, WAY more quintessential in that it is the closest to the quintessential Cfa of Dallas Love Field (image box for reference).

Given that this is the quintessential Cfa, it's very easy to see why Jacksonville is closer!

Old 06-10-2023, 07:43 PM

5,889 posts, read 6,093,260 times
I think there's a reasonable case for Milan having subtropical traits, but Jacksonville is more what I think of when I think subtropical.

Old 06-10-2023, 08:10 PM

901 posts, read 346,264 times
Milan is somewhat closer to subarctic, than to 'subtropical' (though very far from either). This is not a contest in the slightest compared to Jacksonville which is strongly subtropical.

6 C average highs and cloudy winters like that will never be subtropical sorry, not to mention the very low annual mean of 13 C. The summers aren't even that long to make up for those cold winters, unlike climates in China with similar (and much sunnier) winters but MUCH longer and hotter summers. Milan's latitude is 45.46 N for god's sake! That's more than 10 degrees poleward of the official subtropics. Just look at the vegetation and scenery around Milan-- I needn't say more. Let's get back to reality please.

Old 06-11-2023, 12:26 AM

2,932 posts, read 1,309,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesterlyWX;65402098[B
]Milan is somewhat closer to subarctic, than to 'subtropical' [/b](though very far from either). This is not a contest in the slightest compared to Jacksonville which is strongly subtropical.

6 C average highs and cloudy winters like that will never be subtropical sorry, not to mention the very low annual mean of 13 C. The summers aren't even that long to make up for those cold winters, unlike climates in China with similar (and much sunnier) winters but MUCH longer and hotter summers. Milan's latitude is 45.46 N for god's sake! That's more than 10 degrees poleward of the official subtropics. Just look at the vegetation and scenery around Milan-- I needn't say more. Let's get back to reality please.
That is a bit extreme. Milan is clearly right on boderline of what is Subtropical and could be regarded as such if we go off Koppen. Even if we didn't it is only a few hours from cities that are clearly subtropical (Csa) such as Rome. Northern Europe would be closer to the Subarctic than subtropics especially Ireland, UK and Scandinavia.

I do agree with you though those winters is why I feel most won't see it as Subtropical. Very different from Southern Italy

Old 06-11-2023, 03:37 AM

1,223 posts, read 721,404 times
Milan subropical ? ... jeez mate, I want some of those 'Shrooms you've been ingesting... lol

Old 06-11-2023, 06:08 AM

2,932 posts, read 1,309,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
Milan subropical ? ... jeez mate, I want some of those 'Shrooms you've been ingesting... lol
I wouldn't regard it as Subtropical myself but if we go of Koppen it clearly is but also on the boundary. I'd still see the likes of Auckland and Tauranga as more subtropical than Milan due to those cold winters.

Old 06-11-2023, 07:04 AM

5,889 posts, read 6,093,260 times
An example of how the Mediterranean is very warm for its latitude. Mersin, Turkey at 36.5N has an annual mean of over 20C. That's almost as warm as Brisbane, warmer than Porto Alegre, Goma and northern coastal NSW, and significantly warmer than Toowoomba, Curitiba and Harare.

I would say that Milan feels oceanic in many ways, but that Rijeka or Zadar start to feel more subtropical since 10C winter daily highs isn't that cold any more.

Old 06-11-2023, 07:54 AM

271 posts, read 293,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't think of username View Post
Both are Cfa, but Jacksonville without a doubt is much more quintessential. I am not familiar with European climates so I had to do some extra research, but it seems Milan is only 2.5C in the coldest month and 23.6C in the warmest - making Jacksonville WAY, WAY more quintessential in that it is the closest to the quintessential Cfa of Dallas Love Field (image box for reference).

Given that this is the quintessential Cfa, it's very easy to see why Jacksonville is closer!
I'm not sure why Dallas is quintessential Cfa. It has hotter summers than most Cfa climates and an almost Mediterranean precipitation pattern. I would have thought somewhere like Atlanta was more typical of Cfa, due to its flat precipitation pattern.

Old 06-11-2023, 08:20 AM

2,819 posts, read 1,407,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondbreakfast View Post
I'm not sure why Dallas is quintessential Cfa. It has hotter summers than most Cfa climates
That's actually something that can be expected for some Cfa. It is possible for some of these climates to have hotter than expected summers because the horse latitudes' longer days during summer than the tropics can be conducive to more heating up time than is lost by the weaker sun angle.
And Dallas is smack in the middle of these latitudes while being the furthest inland not-borderline Cfa in the US at that latitude. So it's going to have those very toasty summers for sure - remaining quintessential because this as mentioned is a reasonable mechanism-wise feature of Cfa climates.

Quote:
and an almost Mediterranean precipitation pattern.
Thank you for pointing that out, because that reminds me - I didn't see it at the time but as it turns out the Dallas box in my image is outdated precipitation wise. July and August actually have 65mm and 59mm of precipitation respectively, not the 43mm and 56mm on the first box: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Dallas#Data

With that problem fixed, Dallas has the fairly evenly distributed precipitation one would expect of a Cfa. Only significant outliers are May and October, and that's not at all crazy because 10/12 months are fairly flat and even evenly (haha) distributed rainfall is not static.

if the first box was the actual precipitation, I would agree with you that it's not very quintessentially Cfa on that front. However, the precipitation of the first box is not exactly a Csa/Mediterranean precipitation pattern, more like half Csa/Cwa because winter is also dry on it.

Quote:
I would have thought somewhere like Atlanta was more typical of Cfa, due to its flat precipitation pattern.
To be fair, Atlanta is also a pretty good example of a Cfa on both of those fronts. It may not be the picture-perfect smack-dab-middle-Cfa Dallas is (and that picture-perfect was what I was attempting to reference), but any Cfa with the flat/somewhat warm season bias precipitation that is within a degree or 2C or the middle ground works.

Some other not smack-dab-middle-examples within that range (at least mean temperature wise) besides the Atlanta airport are Tallahassee, Columbia, Savannah, and Wilmington airports. Any of these will give you a basic idea of what a more middle ground Cfa is like for mean temperatures.

All this of course makes Jacksonville much more similar to Dallas than Milan is, Milan is borderline hot summer continental Dfa (about as close to that as Orlando is to being tropical) with the previously mentioned nearly oceanic summers too (about as close to Cfb as Minneapolis is to Dfb).
Jacksonville of course has neither.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather