Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 04:33 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
hey CC I know you didn't ask me, but summer here in FL has been unusually dry, it's more damaging here because we get more extreme heat then you do up there in Toronto. since we're a peninsula, we still have loads of humidity...it's been a hot, humid, dry summer, does that make sense?, lol
Yes it does.

Toronto also can be hot, "dry" from lack of rain, yet have a high heat index from very humid conditions.

Though up here "hot and muggy" (86+ F and >55% humidity) don't usually last more than a 3-5 days in a row normally and also never more than 2-3 weeks of continuous heat and humidity because we're often close to the Jet Stream which changes where the winds come from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
In Southern CA we have this god awful weather pattern every year in late spring called "May Gray" and "June Gloom" that can bring days and just days of overcast skies, especially the closer the the coast you are. Some years are worse than others and some years there is none at all. But I remember the June of 2002 the sun only came out 4 days that entire month in San Diego, so much for that whole "sunny San Diego" crap.

Even though it's not cold or whatever, it's just sucks. If we are going to have mild and boring weather it might as well be sunny. But overcast and boring is just awful, I'd rather it rain that be overcast for weeks. May and June are pretty much the worst time of year for weather in coastal Southern CA when the rest of the country has great weather.
Neat topic.
I've heard rumours of the "May Gray" from southern CA, but I never knew its effect was so pronounced, especially in San Diego.

*On the bright side, two solid months of terrible overcast per year is still better than Toronto
with nearly solid overcast for two months in fall, 1 month in spring and intermittently all winter long.
Bascially, overcast predominates here from late September until early April; 6.5 months straight.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:03 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,455,438 times
Our past winters we have been getting less and less overcast days filled with cool crisp clear days.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
It's kind of ironic that you started a thread on overcast weather today because that's exactly what we've had all day.
Is overcast rare in your part of South Dakota?

Approximately how many days do you think Mitchell, SD gets per summer or per year?

Old 07-24-2008, 06:29 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post

May Grey and June Gloom is an invention of hell. Here it has been about as gloomy as humanely possible in May and June (and this month.....)

I have a feeling you'd HATE Melbourne then. Today is the first time I've seen the freaking sun in like 2 weeks. We have one of the cloudiest winters in the world outside of Great Britian and the Pacific Northwest This year has been the worst I've ever seen.
I never knew much about Melbourne so I just took a quick look at it on Wikipedia and I was surprised how many cloudy and rainy days it has. I always pictured most Australian cities as being fairly warm and sunny, if not warm then at least sunny. I guess I thought Melbourne was farther north that it is. yeah, that really isn't my type of weather at all....

Old 07-24-2008, 06:40 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Neat topic.
I've heard rumours of the "May Gray" from southern CA, but I never knew its effect was so pronounced, especially in San Diego.

*On the bright side, two solid months of terrible overcast per year is still better than Toronto
with nearly solid overcast for two months in fall, 1 month in spring and intermittently all winter long.
Bascially, overcast predominates here from late September until early April; 6.5 months straight.

It might not be that bad depending on who you ask. Transplants from other parts of the US laugh at locals here who complain about when we have "bad" weather, but it's all relative. When you're used to sunny and mild to warm temps much of the time, when it's not like that for more than a few days then it gets on your nerves. Some of us can be weather snobs, like me, I complain whenever it's below 70. It's not solid the whole 2 months, usually won't go more than 4 or 5 days in a row w/o sun but there are the exceptions like 2002. The sun can come out during the day for a few hours but mornings and nights are usually cloudy. According to the National Weather Service possible sunshine on any given day is 59% in May and 58% in June.

But either way I don't care for it and I feel sorry for tourists who come in those months expecting typical Southern CA weather b/c it can be hit or miss.

Last edited by sav858; 07-24-2008 at 06:51 PM..

Old 07-24-2008, 06:50 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Quote:
Is overcast rare in your part of South Dakota?

Approximately how many days do you think Mitchell, SD gets per summer or per year?
I just looked it up and one site says that we get 214 sunny days per year. We don't have a lot of dreary days. Most of our cloudy days are in the wintertime, but the sun actually shines here most of the time. The only problem is that during the wintertime, it doesn't give any warmth.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:56 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,899,491 times
Quote:
I never knew much about Melbourne so I just took a quick look at it on Wikipedia and I was surprised how many cloudy and rainy days it has. I always pictured most Australian cities as being fairly warm and sunny, if not warm then at least sunny. I guess I thought Melbourne was farther north that it is. yeah, that really isn't my type of weather at all....
Wikipedia is being conservative IMO We're really just a glorified Seattle to be 100% honest The sun NEVER shines here in winter, and winters are often up to 6 months long.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
It might not be that bad depending on who you ask. Transplants from other parts of the US laugh at locals here who complain about when we have "bad" weather, but it's all relative. When you're used to sunny and mild to warm temps much of the time, when it's not like that for more than a few days then it gets on your nerves. Some of us can be weather snobs, like me, I complain whenever it's below 70. It's not solid the whole 2 months, usually won't go more than 4 or 5 days in a row w/o sun but there are the exceptions like 2002. The sun can come out during the day for a few hours but mornings and nights are usually cloudy. According to the National Weather Service possible sunshine on any given day is 59% in May and 58% in June.

But either way I don't care for it and I feel sorry for tourists who come in those months expecting typical Southern CA weather b/c it can be hit or miss.
4-5 days no sun... tee-hee hee.
In the sunny summer season we can get 4-7 days in a row with no sun.
(less than 2 hours)
In fall we can get 10-40 days with no sun in a row.
In winter we typically get 7-20 days with no sun in a row.
In spring we can get 7-20 days no sun in a row.

58% sunshine is gloomy?
We only have 4 months that are that "sunny."
Try 28% sunshine on an already short 8 hour winter day.

*Actually I do feel for the tourists, especially if they're only there for a week and they see clouds more than half the time.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:05 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,899,491 times
Quote:
4-5 days no sun... tee-hee hee.
In the sunny summer season we can get 4-7 days in a row with no sun.
(less than 2 hours)
Same here. Happened this February.

Quote:
In winter we typically get 7-20 days with no sun in a row.
In Melbourne, 3 months can go by with only 2-3 clear days , while the remaining days are all overcast or have less than 3 hours of cold windblown washed out sunlight.

Quote:
58% sunshine is gloomy?
In summer yes, but I'd kill for that in winter.

Quote:
We only have 4 months that are that "sunny."
Try 28% sunshine on an already short 8 hour winter day.
Same thing here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather