Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 05:16 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times

Advertisements

They had a story on Keloland this evening telling how Alaska had their coldest summer in decades. They have already been below zero this season and were expecting a very cold winter. Unfortunately, a lot of their cold hits the Midwest so they said to beware. But they don't see anything that will hit here soon.

They went on to say that the glaciers have stopped melting and are actually starting to reform.

I searched for the article, but unfortunately couldn't find it. If anyone bumps into it from their local newspaper or news station, please post it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 12:07 AM

3,341 posts, read 5,559,719 times
McClatchy Washington Bureau | 10/14/2008 | Alaska glaciers grew this year, thanks to colder weather

That might be the article you saw.

The lower 48 has already had some air directly from Alaska (last week initially). First the cold air mass went down to the PNW and southern california and gradually moved east. It still is moving east...

Old 10-16-2008, 09:37 AM

That's it!!! Thank you, Candle. Our news had a summary and it looks like it was based on that article.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:09 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
One year does not make a trend. The Alaskan panhandle gets a lot of orographic lift in the winter, and the mountains get a ton of snow. Even with warmer temperatures those areas can get a lot of snow during the colder season. I think that the sunspot cycle (being on the low end of the spectrum) is helping to temporarily cool the climate.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:40 PM

That may be true, but unfortunately, the meteorologists in our area think we should be prepared for a cold winter.

When we made our prediction on this forum, I predicted above average and I'd really hate to be wrong. Well, it's not so much as being wrong as having to live with weeks of sub-zero temps.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
That may be true, but unfortunately, the meteorologists in our area think we should be prepared for a cold winter.

When we made our prediction on this forum, I predicted above average and I'd really hate to be wrong. Well, it's not so much as being wrong as having to live with weeks of sub-zero temps.
I hope your temps this winter aren't too cold The one thing I will never miss about the Plains is the constant wind during the winter. I live near a river valley area and the winds here are nearly non-existant. So.. cold weather is not as big of a deal around here.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:15 PM

458 posts, read 776,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
One year does not make a trend. The Alaskan panhandle gets a lot of orographic lift in the winter, and the mountains get a ton of snow. Even with warmer temperatures those areas can get a lot of snow during the colder season. I think that the sunspot cycle (being on the low end of the spectrum) is helping to temporarily cool the climate.
Actually, NASA is now saying the next 30 years will be much colder. And its not just sunspots but PDO.

American Thinker: Are Global Warmists Pulling a Cool Fast One?

EO Newsroom: New Images - La Nina and Pacific Decadal Oscillation Cool the Pacific

Old 10-16-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelman View Post
Actually, NASA is now saying the next 30 years will be much colder. And its not just sunspots but PDO.

American Thinker: Are Global Warmists Pulling a Cool Fast One?

EO Newsroom: New Images - La Nina and Pacific Decadal Oscillation Cool the Pacific
I read those links, but I have a feeling the the overall warming will temper some of the cooling. However, I still feel we will be in the midst of a solar minimum cycle. I agree with the phase cycle change of the PDO.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:56 PM

458 posts, read 776,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I read those links, but I have a feeling the the overall warming will temper some of the cooling. However, I still feel we will be in the midst of a solar minimum cycle. I agree with the phase cycle change of the PDO.
It's amazing how quickly a low solar cycle and and the PDO can completely stop so called "global warming" in its tracks. NASA already expecting 20-30 years of cooling. If we have a major volcanic eruption we will really see things get much cooler. What happened to the "tipping point" that we were on the brink of entering? I believe this was the biggest scam ever perpetrated. For many reasons most of their agenda will now never happen.

Global warming has already faded from the mass media now that we have a real problem, with the global credit crisis. A lot of the alarmists wanted to see capitalism and the marketplace slow down, they got their wish.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:00 AM

I don't personally believe in global warming either and I know that some people do and I respect their opinion. I personally believe it was done so a few could make some big $$.

IMHO the weather is controlled by a Higher Power and it goes from too cool to too hot and sometimes it's just perfect.

One of the problems I see is that the words "global warming" turned to "climate change" in just a few years. They're bound to be right no matter what happens because our climate has always been changing. And from just reading this forum, it seems that it's been cooler then average in many parts of the world. I'm not going retro to the 70s in thinking that we're getting an ice age either.

All I'm hoping is that they are wrong about the Midwest getting that cold Alaskan weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather