Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 04:01 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,710,827 times

Advertisements

Hi. I bought a fleece hooded jacket for $17 at target (normally $25). I bought it because of the discount and the style. In what temps would i wear this?

I also bought a jacket with white fleece($10) (looks like a lamb's coat), in what temps would these be warm enough and comfortable in?

these are not full winter coats but the prices were good so i got them but I've never worn them before so that's why I'm asking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 08:46 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,312,487 times
You got two jackets. I am not sure where you live, but based on my experience, they will be worn for cooler weather in your neighborhood. I don't think all jackets in these stores are made alike. I've been in CA with their cool weather clothes, and they would not hold up to the same style attire in the northeast. Most so called outdoor attire is only for the looks anyway; a good set of Carhartt coveralls backed by a nice pair of Sorels topped with a silk balaclava under a wool cap will take care of you in sub-zero for hours.

Burlington Coat Factory usually has clothing for cold weather no matter where you live. Of course, if you are a cold weather person, 32 degrees may be just getting brisk, while for warm weather persons, 55 degrees is reason for a parka.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:03 PM

Default hey

I'm in NYC where the weather gets colder and more miserable with each passing year. I don't like bulky coats because they make me feel ungainly so i decided to get these 2. I know they won't do the trick in sub freezing temps like the coats but since i feel so much better wearing them in the store and the prices were good, i thought I'd get them

I'm guessing they may do the trick at about 40 degrees or above

Old 01-02-2009, 09:41 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,312,487 times
It sounds like you should try them out at that temp and get back to us on their suitability.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:42 PM

Default Sometimes I don't know

where all my common sense goes. I just wore them outside like you suggested. In the 39 degree weather they still were not adequate but they certainly would be adequate for weather in the 40's or to wear under the coat as part of a stylish layer system on terribly cold days. Also good for wearing inside the office which can get drafty.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:32 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,828,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Hi. I bought a fleece hooded jacket for $17 at target (normally $25). I bought it because of the discount and the style. In what temps would i wear this?

I also bought a jacket with white fleece($10) (looks like a lamb's coat), in what temps would these be warm enough and comfortable in?

these are not full winter coats but the prices were good so i got them but I've never worn them before so that's why I'm asking
Have you even tried them outdoors?
Most parts of the U.S.A. should at least be cold (under 45 F) before sunrise most winter mornings.

My guess is that above freezing with no rain and they should work great.
If you're cold-acclimated, you might be able to handle 20 F.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:07 PM

Default thanks for the

advice. I don't know if getting older is making me more sensitive to the cold but I was surpsised that they weren't adequate at 39 degrees though i know they certainly would be OK in the 40's. Definitely would not protect me at 20 degrees though!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather