Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:26 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: Deleted quote removed

Claiming that their average summer weather is "brutal" is a joke:

I've spent many days entirely outdoors in a South Carolina summer,
with highs at 33 C, dewpoints at 23 C and even the wind gusts rarely hit 15 km/h.
Brisbane averages what, 29 C with a dewpoint of 21 C and average windspeed close to 20 km/h?
If I lived there and they were whinging enough,
I'd just smile and say "...Too bad you can't acclimatize to the heat as easily as a Canadian could..."

Now if you're talking record-heat,
Brisbane has been hotter than both Townsville and Darwin.
In fact with records like 43.2 C, (109.8 F) Brisbane's been hotter than almost the entire state of Florida!

Last edited by Jammie; 07-22-2009 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: removed the quote since I've deleted it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 09:14 AM

4 posts, read 20,421 times
I LOVE WINTER its my favorite season. Summer is GROSS I HATE SUMMER AND I CANT WAIT TIL IT ENDS LOL. I Love the cold

Old 11-27-2009, 09:26 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker420 View Post
I LOVE WINTER its my favorite season. Summer is GROSS I HATE SUMMER AND I CANT WAIT TIL IT ENDS LOL. I Love the cold
Oh, but winter in southern Cali isn't the same thing as winter is for many of us. When you say that you like the cold~what temps are you thinking of?

Old 11-27-2009, 10:20 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
I'm surprised at the harsh attacks directed at those who prefer cooler weather. Everyone has there preferences. No need to call someone a retard for preferring a certain type of weather.

Right now it is 43 F outside and cloudy, and I am loving it! Much of the fall has been cloudy, cool, and damp. The air is so refreshing. During the fall and winter, I love sitting in the house with a nice cup of tea or coffee, reading a good book, looking outside on a cloudy, cool, snowy, or rainy day. Sunshine is nice, but constant sunshine just gets so boring after a while.

During the summer, there is nothing worst than spending five minutes outside and having sweat soak through my shirt while I'm swatting at flies. And what about those nights during a heat wave where its 80 outside and its impossible to sleep because its so hot? What's so great about that? I sleep so much better during the cooler months of the year.

And when it does get warm and stuffy in the house or car...all I have to do is go outside or a crack open a window and let the cold, fresh air breath life back into my skin.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:32 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I'm surprised at the harsh attacks directed at those who prefer cooler weather. Everyone has there preferences. No need to call someone a retard for preferring a certain type of weather.

Right now it is 43 F outside and cloudy, and I am loving it! Much of the fall has been cloudy, cool, and damp. The air is so refreshing. During the fall and winter, I love sitting in the house with a nice cup of tea or coffee, reading a good book, looking outside on a cloudy, cool, snowy, or rainy day. Sunshine is nice, but constant sunshine just gets so boring after a while.

During the summer, there is nothing worst than spending five minutes outside and having sweat soak through my shirt while I'm swatting at flies. And what about those nights during a heat wave where its 80 outside and its impossible to sleep because its so hot? What's so great about that? I sleep so much better during the cooler months of the year.

And when it does get warm and stuffy in the house or car...all I have to do is go outside or a crack open a window and let the cold, fresh air breath life back into my skin.
They have an invention called an air conditioner. You think the heat waves up north are bad? That's what it's like all summer in the South and they survive.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
They have an invention called an air conditioner. You think the heat waves up north are bad?
That's what it's like all summer in the South and they survive.
80 F outside for me is not "bad" for sleeping...
80 F inside is perfect, so I'd just open the windows or maybe turn on a fan.
*Nothing to "survive", that's comfort in my book.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
They have an invention called an air conditioner. You think the heat waves up north are bad? That's what it's like all summer in the South and they survive.
Thanks for the reminder. I wasn't aware air conditioning existed.

I only have a window unit, so I take it out at the end of every summer. When we had a heat wave last April, the AC wasn't installed.

I've been in the South several times during the summer, so I understand the intensity of the heat.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
80 F outside for me is not "bad" for sleeping...
80 F inside is perfect, so I'd just open the windows or maybe turn on a fan.
*Nothing to "survive", that's comfort in my book.
80 outside during the day is fine, but if its above 70 in the middle of the night, it's definetly too warm out. 80 inside? Forget about it! Way too hot! It usually doesn't get warmer than 68 inside my house, but even thats too warm for me. I prefer it around 62 degrees.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
80 outside during the day is fine, but if its above 70 in the middle of the night, it's definetly too warm out. 80 inside? Forget about it! Way too hot! It usually doesn't get warmer than 68 inside my house, but even thats too warm for me. I prefer it around 62 degrees.
Yeah I was talking 80 F outside in the dark at bedtime, even with 80% humidity; not bad, but not great. Tolerable for me.
Everyone's different, I'm just more on the "cold-blooded" side.

I find it harder to get comfy for sleeping when it's less than 65 F wherever I sleep;
I can feel a chill on the tip of my nose, sometimes face, ears... which is a distraction when I'm trying to nod off quickly.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:14 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Winter is disgusting lol.

I love nights above 80 degrees (which we do get), most of our nights are around 75 degrees during the Summer so there's no big difference, and they're not horrible at all in my opinion. I can sleep in any kind of weather, I took a nap at 95 degrees with the AC off and the sun beaming through the window.

Its been in the 50's/60's/70's (with a few 40's & 80's) most of October & November so I can't complain (although its not Winter yet), I probably won't have to rant about Winter weather this year if the weather stays okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather