Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 05:51 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times

Advertisements

A very severe storm came though two hours ago. There were no tornado touchdowns, but there were several funnels spotted in and around Lubbock. It rained about 2" in 30 minutes and there was almost 1" of pea to quarter sized hail on the ground which made the rush hour commute especially hazardous. In a nearby town, a hail storm parked over the town and there was 6-7" of hail. They had to get the snowplows out! I like thunderstorms as long as they aren't severe. This one was too much for me though. I'm just glad we don't get storms like these often like other places in Tornado Alley. (Sorry about that the third picture is so blurry.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 06:23 AM

1,560 posts, read 1,264,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
A very severe storm came though two hours ago. There were no tornado touchdowns, but there were several funnels spotted in and around Lubbock. It rained about 2" in 30 minutes and there was almost 1" of pea to quarter sized hail on the ground which made the rush hour commute especially hazardous. In a nearby town, a hail storm parked over the town and there was 6-7" of hail. They had to get the snowplows out! I like thunderstorms as long as they aren't severe. This one was too much for me though. I'm just glad we don't get storms like these often like other places in Tornado Alley. (Sorry about that the third picture is so blurry.)

All the years I lived out there, I never saw the snowplows get broken out. Freaked me out when they showed it on the news here in DFW last night. That is crazy!

Old 04-17-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lothartheterrible View Post
All the years I lived out there, I never saw the snowplows get broken out. Freaked me out when they showed it on the news here in DFW last night. That is crazy!
They showed it on the news in Dallas? That's pretty crazy. Apparently, there were eight tornado touchdowns in the area, two of them in Lubbock county! Some parts of Lubbock got baseball sized hail. There are still piles of hail in the yard and our rain guage showed 4" of rain, all of which fell in about 30-45 minutes, flooding out many of the roads. I-27 was closed from Hale Center to Canyon. I hope we're done with severe storms this season.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
They showed it on the news in Dallas? That's pretty crazy. Apparently, there were eight tornado touchdowns in the area, two of them in Lubbock county! Some parts of Lubbock got baseball sized hail. There are still piles of hail in the yard and our rain guage showed 4" of rain, all of which fell in about 30-45 minutes, flooding out many of the roads. I-27 was closed from Hale Center to Canyon. I hope we're done with severe storms this season.
Yeah, they showed it on the channel 8 news.

And I doubt it, man; it's only April. One of the worst storms I saw when I was living out there (apart from the two tornadoes), me and a couple of the other guys on the football team were lifting weights at Chapman Field when a real blockbuster of a storm blew through complete with golfball sized hail and 80mph winds. And that was in June!

Old 04-17-2009, 10:07 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
You also hit CNN news. I saw it this morning. That was pretty unbelieveable!!! When I read your post yesterday, I just couldn't picture how bad it must've been for them to need the snow plows. Thanks to CNN I got to see it.

Kinda off topic, but do you guys have your own county/state snow plows in the panhandle? OR did you have to borrow them from further north? Just wondering cause I didn't think you'd have anything except sand trucks.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:26 PM

The City of Lubbock does indeed own a couple of snow plows. We obviously don't get the snow here in Texas that you guys get up there, but every few years or so they have to break them out mainly to clean up melt from snow and sleet storms. They get more use in Amarillo, I'm sure. The northern end of the Panhandle gets a surprisingly good amount of snow each year (again, nothing like y'all are accustomed to).
Even the City of Dallas owns a few plows. I have no idea why, but they do.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:46 PM

Can you guys not see my pictures? I posted three in my first post. Can you see them now?
Attached Thumbnails
Severe Weather-ethan-262.jpg   Severe Weather-ethan-263.jpg   Severe Weather-ethan-265.jpg  

Old 04-17-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Can you guys not see my pictures? I posted three in my first post. Can you see them now?
You can see them this time. That's wicked

Old 04-17-2009, 01:52 PM

27 posts, read 51,692 times
I wonder who believes climate change is responsible?

Old 04-17-2009, 01:58 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Quote:

Well, better now than when I go out there in a few months. By then, it should be sunny all the time.

Actually, for now, your rain event is over, but the dryline is hovering east of Lubbock and will bring more showers to D/FW later on today. We've already had lingering thunderstorms, but no hail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather