Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 08:05 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times

Advertisements

^^ I wish I was "lucky enough" to become familiar with and hate southern California's coolness and short spells of cloudiness.

I think I heard on City-Data that San Diego has potential to go 2 days in a row without sun during their 2-month "gloom" season. (boohoo )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 10:42 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
I've been there twice, both times in November and it wasn't cold at all. In fact, last November it was hot.
I guess it depends on your definition of hot... the one time I was in Melbourne a few years ago now in November too... it was 12C one time at night... I remember going to going to see the penguins on Phillip Island and only having brought a light coat and freezing with the stiff southerly wind... perhaps you got lucky with the weather.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:45 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
San Diego's weather seems pretty pleasant to me (I've never actually been yet) and even though I probably "could" go swimming in the water during the winter there just like I "can" go swimming in the water in the summer here in Vancouver, it's not really all that comfortable and I wouldn't stay in for long. It's certainly nowhere near as pleasant as Floridian beaches in terms of warmth and sunshine, that's for sure.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:59 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,381,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I guess it depends on your definition of hot... the one time I was in Melbourne a few years ago now in November too... it was 12C one time at night... I remember going to going to see the penguins on Phillip Island and only having brought a light coat and freezing with the stiff southerly wind... perhaps you got lucky with the weather.
It was toward the end of November. And this time I was wearing shorts and it was hot - guessing at least 25C.

I went to Phillip Island to see the penguins late November on a previous trip in 2005. We were told we'd be cold so to bundle up. We did but it was surprisingly mild. We had to take our coats off.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:56 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,899,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
That is very common summer weather here

Most November nights are typically around 12C, often cooler. And that southerly seabreeze....it ruins about 90% of "summer" days

It's not Sydney thats for sure where it's 20C every summer night

Quote:
It was toward the end of November. And this time I was wearing shorts and it was hot - guessing at least 25C.

I went to Phillip Island to see the penguins late November on a previous trip in 2005. We were told we'd be cold so to bundle up. We did but it was surprisingly mild. We had to take our coats off.
25C is not "hot".

Old 04-03-2010, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
That is very common summer weather here

Most November nights are typically around 12C, often cooler. And that southerly seabreeze....it ruins about 90% of "summer" days

It's not Sydney thats for sure where it's 20C every summer night

25C is not "hot".
You said it was freezing all year long. 25 is hardly freezing is it? The sun was beating down on us making it even hotter.

Why don't you move to the sahara if every place is too damn cold for you?!

Old 04-03-2010, 03:57 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,899,491 times
Well, a place that gets a temp of 25C as the HIGHEST FOR THE ENTIRE SUMMER is freezing. Not only that, being on the coast of one of the coldest oceans on the planet makes for some lovely windchills and low overnight temps year round

You sound like you'd have a hard time dealing with any temp above 20C. You remind me of one lunatic on the aussie forums whom actually referred to a 23C forecast temp for his town as "deadly"

Old 04-03-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Well, a place that gets a temp of 25C as the HIGHEST FOR THE ENTIRE SUMMER is freezing. Not only that, being on the coast of one of the coldest oceans on the planet makes for some lovely windchills and low overnight temps year round

You sound like you'd have a hard time dealing with any temp above 20C. You remind me of one lunatic on the aussie forums whom actually referred to a 23C forecast temp for his town as "deadly"
You must have ice in your veins if you think 25 is freezing. 25 is hot when the sun in strong. Otherwise it is pleasant. I've lived in many different climates - from cold, northern US, to hot Tennessee and Florida, to chilly Scotland, to the perfect climate of Uganda (20-30C all year long, except for occasional freezing temps of 15 in the middle of the night).

I heard you have a reputation for being a PITA on the all the Aussie and NZ forums. Easy to see why.

So why don't you move somewhere that's HOT enough for you?? There's loads of people on the Religion forums who can recommend a place for you.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:39 AM

813 posts, read 951,453 times
Quote:
You must have ice in your veins if you think 25 is freezing. 25 is hot when the sun in strong. Otherwise it is pleasant. I've lived in many different climates - from cold, northern US, to hot Tennessee and Florida, to chilly Scotland, to the perfect climate of Uganda (20-30C all year long, except for occasional freezing temps of 15 in the middle of the night).

I heard you have a reputation for being a PITA on the all the Aussie and NZ forums. Easy to see why.

So why don't you move somewhere that's HOT enough for you?? There's loads of people on the Religion forums who can recommend a place for you.
SAB is a serial complainer. I wouldn't worry too much what dribble he writes.

We have had a great summer with Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar all averaging top temps of 26C or higher but he has constantly complained that we live in Subarctic maritime Melbourne....
I also have lived in other climates such as the US and Europe and travelled around Africa but this bloke has probably spent his whole life in the one town.

BTW...I was in Scotland in 2006 for your summer when you guys had the heat wave...Well it was high 20's and considering the highest temp ever recorded in Scotland is 33C it was very nice...Hilarious to see everyone at the beach in Edinburgh getting sunburnt.

Last edited by damo1995; 04-03-2010 at 08:02 AM..

Old 04-03-2010, 07:57 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
^^ I wish I was "lucky enough" to become familiar with and hate southern California's coolness and short spells of cloudiness.

I think I heard on City-Data that San Diego has potential to go 2 days in a row without sun during their 2-month "gloom" season. (boohoo )
It’s the spring/early summer that is the cloudiest time in SOCAL. It’s kind of weird in the sense that for most of the USA (and most of Canada)…June is the month that sunshine is plentiful everywhere. However, in coastal southern California beach cites…it is a time of stratus, fog, and overcast skies. South of LA some of this burns off late in the day…but north of LA it can be overcast for much of the day in June (again along the coast).

Still, your right it’s relatively, overall of course southern California is generally sunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather