Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 06:06 PM

58 posts, read 192,567 times

Advertisements

I am planning a few road trips here pretty soon, and one of them is through the U.S. south, san Diego-Georgia, Pacific to the Atlantic.

It's a hitch-hiking trip. I want to do it now, but am afraid of it being too cold, especially around El Paso.

I always had the idea of the south being a warm, humid place all year around..

Any thoughts or feedback on that.

If not now, when would be the earliest time to do it? Mid-Feb to March?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 06:22 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Never. I know you mean this seriously, and I really don't have the answer for you about when you wouldn't be too cold or too hot. BUT that's a very dangerous trip to make and hitchiking in this day and age isn't a good idea.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:33 PM

I don't remember asking if it was dangerous or not, I was more curious in getting personal feedback from those that live there..

But thanks anyway..

Old 11-18-2009, 07:05 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times
If you hate cold, I'd wait at least until April.
March temperatures can vary wildly over most of the central and eastern U.S.
I've heard rumours that Myrtle Beach, SC has seen a bit of ice, as late as late-March.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:19 PM

Yeah, I sorta figured it'd be a little cold, but not totally unbearable.

Gloves, long pants, medium size jacket and stocking cap weather at night, no?

Old 11-18-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbullet View Post
Yeah, I sorta figured it'd be a little cold, but not totally unbearable.

Gloves, long pants, medium size jacket and stocking cap weather at night, no?
Depends...
I've found out from personal experience even 57 F can be "bone-chilling" if you get the right combination
of heavy dew and breezy winds; a strange combination, but not-so-uncommon in "bayou" country and other very-humid regions.

If you are naturally "good with cold," yes?
If you feel you are a "light-weight" when it comes to cold, ()
have layers to put underneath those garments you mentioned,
just in case it becomes damp and/or very windy.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:24 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,613,373 times
Good advice from cc, it is the dampness/wind that can make even 40's be miserable if you aren't dressed properly. Definitely a hat and long johns under those pants!

Old 11-19-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Good advice from cc, it is the dampness/wind that can make even 40's be miserable if you aren't dressed properly. Definitely a hat and long johns under those pants!
What was particularly shocking for me was that only 6 hours earlier, about 2 hours before sunset,
it was 75-78 F with somewhat-hot sunshine from clear blue skies, the sun heat making it feel more like low-mid 80's F.
Totally clear skies also caused the temps to plummet as the sun went down. The combined effect of dew
and constant 10mph wind probably made 57 F feel more like the low 40's F or maybe high 30's F.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 11-19-2009 at 10:25 AM..

Old 11-19-2009, 10:06 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,359,673 times
Quote:
I am planning a few road trips here pretty soon, and one of them is through the U.S. south, san Diego-Georgia, Pacific to the Atlantic.

It's a hitch-hiking trip. I want to do it now, but am afraid of it being too cold, especially around El Paso.

If not now, when would be the earliest time to do it? Mid-Feb to March?
I just thought I would add my 2c to this …. since I have often been in the southern half of the USA in winter.

I made a quick map with Paint Shop. It’s pretty bad - but at least it will give you a rough idea. I used a map of average January high temps (the coldest month)…and drew in the main interstate highways in the southern USA for reference. Feb/Mar would be a bit warmer. Of course these are only averages…fronts/storms…etc will bring warmer/colder weather.

You can see if you follow close to the I-8 corridor from southern California (San Diego/LA) east to Phoenix…the highs should be in the 60’s, lows near 35/40 F. Traveling east of Phoenix toward eastern Arizona/New Mexico/west Texas on I-10…expect in to be cooler: days in the 50’s/ nights around 30 F (desert nights are cold!). As you get more south and east toward the Gulf of Mexico on the I-10, it should become a bit milder again. From Houston east toward Jacksonville, Fl – days should be in the mid 60’s nights near 40 F.

If you go up I 95 in coastal Georgia/southern/coastal South Carolina… days are from the upper 50’s to middle 60’s with nights in the upper 30’s to mid 40’s (south to north). As noted above, much north of around Myrtle Beach, SC it gets cooler - days are often below 55 F. Going south on I-95 into Florida you are of course going to get the warmest winter weather in the USA: Days should be above 70 F /nights around 45 in central Florida….then as you go south on I-95 toward Miami/Palm Beach/Ft. Lauderdale of course is pretty warm/hot…days are mostly in the 75 to 80 F range and nights in the mid 50’s.

I think Jammie was just expressing the risks associated with hitchhiking. I hitchhiked with 3 others from NYC to Key West Fl 20 years ago. It was fun… but in fairness we encountered several “scary and strange people” walking the highways/in rest areas/along many state routes. The fun wears off of walking after the first day. We in fact got a ride through 4 states, so we really spent little time hitchhiking. I can't imigain what a treck from the West Coast to the East Coast would be like hitchhiking.

My advice is go with other people… keep in touch with at least one person as you progress… and carry a portable radio (weather/news/). We encountered lighting strikes (New Jersey), Chemical spills (Delaware), saw a 5 car pileup (South Carolina), and fires (north Florida). One other note - be mindful from the Gulf of Mexico coastal areas east to South Carolina and south to Florida …there are ALLAGOTORS and poisonous snakes in many ponds/low country wooded areas. I would only camp in areas where posted/camp grounds if you intend to not sleep in motels.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:07 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:

No not even maybe.

Quote:
I've heard rumours that Myrtle Beach, SC has seen a bit of ice, as late as late-March.

That area is known to stay warm well into November, December. I live in Wrightsville Beach, just up the coast from Myrtle Beach and we are just beginning to cool off. it is 74 degrees outside today, in late November. The flip side is that our Springs start very late. It still feels cold and dreary here in February, March, even into April and occasionally May.

Last edited by le roi; 11-19-2009 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather