Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:35 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
As far as I'm concerned a tropical climate is "temperate". It has temperatures no lower than room temperature at night and high temperatures that are perfectly comfortable given the right clothing. Humans originated in and were designed for the tropics. People then didn't need clothes apart from a fig leaf or animal fur diaper or whatever jungle people wear. It's only in moving to ridiculously far north latitudes we ever needed clothes.

Climates in an ideal world would be classified by how comfortable they were in the nude. In which case England's fails completely. Animals don't wear clothes, why should we? Polar bears don't live in the jungle. Lions and elephants wouldn't survive at the north pole. Humans were built for the tropics. Wearing clothes is a relatively modern idea.
Haha. This is true. While nude, we're certainly more comfortable in a warm environment. Although didn't humans have much more hair "back in the day"?

But, it is important to note that the quality of life is often better in cooler locations than warmer (at least in the U.S.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 07:49 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,464,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
As far as I'm concerned a tropical climate is "temperate". It has temperatures no lower than room temperature at night and high temperatures that are perfectly comfortable given the right clothing. Humans originated in and were designed for the tropics. People then didn't need clothes apart from a fig leaf or animal fur diaper or whatever jungle people wear. It's only in moving to ridiculously far north latitudes we ever needed clothes.

Climates in an ideal world would be classified by how comfortable they were in the nude. In which case England's fails completely. Animals don't wear clothes, why should we? Polar bears don't live in the jungle. Lions and elephants wouldn't survive at the north pole. Humans were built for the tropics. Wearing clothes is a relatively modern idea.

Trying to classify climate has always been a tricky endeavor. But still. That England's climate is "temperate" is BS. Yeah, 11 months below a mean temperature of 15c. Whatever.
AFAIR, humans started losing body hair when they started to make clothes (animal skins). All other primates have fur (and with very few exceptions they live in all tropical climates).

Anyway I think part of the confusion around the word "temperate" is that it's Euro-centric. Most of Europe (especially western Europe) is not particularly hot or cold and thus is "temperate". But I don't like this term, especially when it is applied to continental climates.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:24 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Haha. This is true. While nude, we're certainly more comfortable in a warm environment. Although didn't humans have much more hair "back in the day"?

But, it is important to note that the quality of life is often better in cooler locations than warmer (at least in the U.S.).
As much as I hate the cold, I agree with your statement to an extent. Quality of life in a cold place like Europe is better than quality of life in a warm place like Africa.

What I don't agree with is when you say this is true in the US. A lot of Americans are moving to warm places because of the better quality of life. I'd say the US is one of the few places where the colder=better quality of life rule doesn't apply (and that's a good thing). Just look at the growth the Sunbelt has seen while cold states remain stagnant or lose population.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:33 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,464,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
As much as I hate the cold, I agree with your statement to an extent. Quality of life in a cold place like Europe is better than quality of life in a warm place like Africa.

What I don't agree with is when you say this is true in the US. A lot of Americans are moving to warm places because of the better quality of life. I'd say the US is one of the few places where the colder=better quality of life rule doesn't apply (and that's a good thing). Just look at the growth the Sunbelt has seen while cold states remain stagnant or lose population.
That's a relatively recent trend. From about the Civil War era to about 1960's, life in the north was much better. The South was mostly rural and agricultural. And even now I think the main reason for southern population growth is that it's cheap. And cheaper is not always better

Old 12-16-2009, 10:33 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
That's a relatively recent trend. From about the Civil War era to about 1960's, life in the north was much better. The South was mostly rural and agricultural. And even now I think the main reason for southern population growth is that it's cheap. And cheaper is not always better
I guess I'm one of the few who would not be deterred from living in Florida before the advent A/C.

I'd gladly take that even if summer meant 90 F and 70% humidity indoors,
provided I had fans and suitably match furnishings; furniture designed to breathe like with wicker-frame, linen-sheets etc.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:34 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post

Well I think it is debatable. I don't know the exact facts and it really depends on a person's preference. According to this list: Healthiest, Unhealthiest U.S. Cities , the top ten healthiest U.S. cities are in cooler climates. In the top twenty, only three are warm cities.

It does depend on a number of circumstances, but in my personal experience, northern places had cleaner, fresher air and cleaner water than southern. But that's only my own experience. I'm sure there are plenty of fine places down south with a good quality of life. And I'm sure the air is "fresher" down south during the winter than the summer (when I typically travel).

Old 09-08-2015, 11:51 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Temperate places are those with milder season - summers not to hot and winters not too cold. They can range from London and Paris to Auckland and Sydney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather