Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 06:22 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,711,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Well, does he get to keep the ring you gave him?
To be fair both parties should lose total investments (time, money and gifts) or have a legal agreement before the exchange of property to keep everything clear. I think it would make it easier to sort if it ended and people would have one more step in thinking about what they are about to do. (getting married or cheating)
To label the ring as a conditional gift is silly. What if she bought him a car etc. ?She doesn't get that back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 06:49 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
To be fair both parties should lose total investments (time, money and gifts) or have a legal agreement before the exchange of property to keep everything clear. I think it would make it easier to sort if it ended and people would have one more step in thinking about what they are about to do. (getting married or cheating)
To label the ring as a conditional gift is silly. What if she bought him a car etc. ?She doesn't get that back.
When it comes to engagement rings there doesn't need to be an agreement because it's not a typical gift. It is conditional. People know this. The same goes for wedding gifts. You wouldn't, for example, keep wedding gifts if you or your groom decided the day before your wedding that one of you couldn't go through with it, right? You don't need a contract drawn up between you and your future guests, correct? Of course not. It's understood.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
When it comes to engagement rings there doesn't need to be an agreement because it's not a typical gift. It is conditional. People know this. The same goes for wedding gifts. You wouldn't, for example, keep wedding gifts if you or your groom decided the day before your wedding that one of you couldn't go through with it, right? You don't need a contract drawn up between you and your future guests, correct? Of course not. It's understood.
Its only conditional in some states. Not all. So it depends on where you live. Why would you drop off a wedding gift before the wedding?

Old 09-30-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Its only conditional in some states. Not all. So it depends on where you live. Why would you drop off a wedding gift before the wedding?
You never heard of a wedding registry? Wedding gifts do arrive before the wedding, especially from folk who cannot attend. Providing you have a family and friendships and decide to do a traditional wedding, of course. Many couples will register at a particular place or a few places. For example, I was registered at Macy's, bed, bath, & beyond, and REI. Guests go to the website, find the couple who is registered, and purchase gifts selected on the list. The gifts start arriving weeks before the wedding. Then there are the engagement gifts, which should also be returned if the wedding doesn't happen. I guess this issue simply comes down to etiquette. Some folk value it, while it's not on the radar for others.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:10 AM

Any way, you didn't answer the question. Would you return those wedding gifts if the wedding didn't happen? I'm guessing yes, even tho they are gifts, and there are probably no laws preventing you from keeping them. You would understand they are conditional. Why give that kind of respect to others and not your former fiance?

Old 09-30-2011, 07:12 AM

782 posts, read 1,109,007 times
Didn't read alll the pages in the thread but in Texas an engagement ring is a promise to the contract of marriage....If he gave the ring and broke off the engagement then it doesn't have to be returned. This is the eqilivent of his buying himself out of the contract...if he bought the ring and she broke off the engagement then she is required to return the ring.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:19 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
Didn't read alll the pages in the thread but in Texas an engagement ring is a promise to the contract of marriage....If he gave the ring and broke off the engagement then it doesn't have to be returned. This is the eqilivent of his buying himself out of the contract...if he bought the ring and she broke off the engagement then she is required to return the ring.
And if each says the other broke the engagement first, then that will be really confusing.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Any way, you didn't answer the question. Would you return those wedding gifts if the wedding didn't happen? I'm guessing yes, even tho they are gifts, and there are probably no laws preventing you from keeping them. You would understand they are conditional. Why give that kind of respect to others and not your former fiance?
Anyone I was inviting to a wedding I could call and ask if they wanted it back. But they didn't cause any faults that created the separation unlike the fiance.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
And if each says the other broke the engagement first, then that will be really confusing.
Oh that too. "He said/she said" would be cut out of the equation if there was a binding legal document already in place.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:14 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
This is the woman's side of the story. LOL I wonder what the truth is.

Surgeon refused to pick up ring after breakup, attorney says - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Surgeon-refused-to-pick-up-ring-after-breakup-2195536.php - broken link)

The link posted didn't work, so let's try this one: Ex-fiancee tried to return ring, her lawyer says - Houston Chronicle

Like you stated, I wonder what the truth is, but I wouldn't be so quick to label her a gold-digger. I love the fact that Fischer wants to keep it a private matter now. Why the heck didn't he have "no comment" when first approached about the story?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings