Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 08:12 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
$100 gift ($200 if you bring someone else)
No. A gift is a gift. How many people attend is a non-issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 08:17 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,484 times
it's even more ridiculous if you are in the wedding party...

i'm in two this year, one in August and one in October. i'm already up to 600$ spent and there is still so much more to go. was just told hair and make up will be $250 for one of them.... $250!!!!

i feel like the bride/groom should pay for the bridal party's expenses and it should be considered part of the cost of having a wedding. it's frustrating b/c i will never ask for this in return b/c i don't want to ask friends/family to spend money on me jst because i decided to spend the rest of my life with someone.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:21 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,681,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
it's even more ridiculous if you are in the wedding party...

i'm in two this year, one in August and one in October. i'm already up to 600$ spent and there is still so much more to go. was just told hair and make up will be $250 for one of them.... $250!!!!

i feel like the bride/groom should pay for the bridal party's expenses and it should be considered part of the cost of having a wedding. it's frustrating b/c i will never ask for this in return b/c i don't want to ask friends/family to spend money on me jst because i decided to spend the rest of my life with someone.
That's horrible. When did women become unable to do their own hair and makeup? And nails for that matter?The bride should not dictate those things. When I got married (first time, back in the 80s), I paid for my bridesmaids' dresses and shoes. And they got beautiful all by themselves.

For my second wedding, 5 years ago, we just got married in our home with a JP. Didn't even invite anyone, not even his or my grown children (they were all 1000-3000 miles away and it just seemed like a needless expense).

I detest the monster that the wedding industry has become, and the expectations many brides feel they must live up to.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:45 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,093,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
For my second wedding, 5 years ago, we just got married in our home with a JP. Didn't even invite anyone, not even his or my grown children (they were all 1000-3000 miles away and it just seemed like a needless expense).

What will you do for you third wedding? Not get married ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I detest the monster that the wedding industry has become, and the expectations many brides feel they must live up to.

The only reason the US wedding industry became the monster that is because people use its ridiculously overpriced services. And from what I have observed and heard, women have the highest expectations and desires for the weddings. Most guys seem to not care too much... I think I detest US culture as it pertains to weddings...

Old 07-23-2016, 06:14 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,462,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
And from what I have observed and heard, women have the highest expectations and desires for the weddings. Most guys seem to not care too much... I think I detest US culture as it pertains to weddings...
I agree completely. Every time someone in my social circle gets engaged, my hope is that they don't invite me to the wedding. If they invite me, I RSVP no more often than I RSVP yes. Surprisingly, my non-attendance at most people's weddings has not impacted the quality of my friendships. I RSVP no more often than I RSVP yes because attending most weddings offers more drawbacks than benefits from my point of view.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No. A gift is a gift. How many people attend is a non-issue.
Ehh arent you supposed to cover your plate? Im not saying you have to but inst that the standard/whats expected? So if you bring someone thats an extra plate to be covered. Im not saying i agree with this lol i think weddings are ridiculous in general, but i think the brideand groom expect people to at least cover their plates.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Ehh aerent you supposed to cover your plate? Im not saying you have to but inst that the standard/whats expected? So if you bring someone thats an extra plate to be covered. Im not saying i agree with this lol i think weddings are ridiculous in general, but i think the brideand groom expect people to at least cover their plates.
No. A wedding invitation is extended to include people you care about to be a part of an important moment in your life. A reception is a celebration of that event and it is the responsibility of the hosts to foot the bill for whatever kind of event they want and can afford. The guests responsibility is to RSVP promptly, bring only those invited (no children unless they are invited, no plus-one's unless mentioned on the invitation), have a good time but not an obnoxious one, and a gift within your own budget and commensurate with your relationship with the bridal couple. For example, my nieces and nephews all recieved the same amount as a gift, regardless of our family size (kids were invited) and regardless of how fancy or extravagant the wedding was. Frankly what is rude is trying to figure out what your hosts have spent.

Edited to add:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/05/manners-

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-24-2016 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-24-2016, 12:48 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,531,765 times
The way I look at it is...... I'd expect others to come to my wedding so ... Least I can do I turn up to theirs

Old 07-24-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No. A wedding invitation is extended to include people you care about to be a part of an important moment in your life. A reception is a celebration of that event and it is the responsibility of the hosts to foot the bill for whatever kind of event they want and can afford. The guests responsibility is to RSVP promptly, bring only those invited (no children unless they are invited, no plus-one's unless mentioned on the invitation), have a good time but not an obnoxious one, and a gift within your own budget and commensurate with your relationship with the bridal couple. For example, my nieces and nephews all recieved the same amount as a gift, regardless of our family size (kids were invited) and regardless of how fancy or extravagant the wedding was. Frankly what is rude is trying to figure out what your hosts have spent.

Edited to add:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/05/manners-
If that were the case people wouldnt have bridal parties, outlandish bachelor and bachelorette parties and other gluttonous things that the wedding includes

Old 07-24-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
If that were the case people wouldnt have bridal parties, outlandish bachelor and bachelorette parties and other gluttonous things that the wedding includes
1. Not everyone has these things;

2. Some people who do have these things...might simply enjoy them;

3. Of course there are greedy and entitled people. Sometimes they get married. Nothing new there. If these are the kind of friends you have, get better friends.

None of those indicate a necessity to "cover your plate".

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-24-2016 at 03:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings