Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 02:28 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,681,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Again, get better friends. I've never ever heard any of my friends or family complain about the amount of a cash wedding gift.
I've read posts here and other places online where brides complained that the cash gifts didn't cover the sit-down meal. Trashy? Yes of course. But it certainly happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 03:08 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Ehh arent you supposed to cover your plate? Im not saying you have to but inst that the standard/whats expected? So if you bring someone thats an extra plate to be covered. Im not saying i agree with this lol i think weddings are ridiculous in general, but i think the brideand groom expect people to at least cover their plates.
Nope.
It is not your responsibility to pay for the reception.
The bride and groom should have a reception they can afford... it is not about "covering a plate" at all.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Im just saying that if i only give 50$ as a wedding gift bc thats my budget, the bride and groom will most likely have something to say about it... Behind my back of course.
And you consider people like this friends?

Old 07-25-2016, 03:15 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I've read posts here and other places online where brides complained that the cash gifts didn't cover the sit-down meal. Trashy? Yes of course. But it certainly happens.
I don't doubt it happens. I remember a thread here where a poster complained that she was invited to a "cake and punch" reception. She thought it was cheap and tacky, particularly since she routinely gave $200 (or something). Entitlement apparently goes both ways. It certainly doesn't make it polite behavior though.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:32 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,681,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
And you consider people like this friends?
If we all gave up every friend because of their character flaws....well, we'd all be friendless.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
If we all gave up every friend because of their character flaws....well, we'd all be friendless.
So, you have friends who complain about the gifts you give them and talk behind your back? (as was the case I quoted & commented upon)
I sure wouldn't be friends with people like that!

Old 07-25-2016, 08:11 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
oh i don't know anyone who sends a gift weeks in advance.
Then you don't know much.

Quote:
i'm used to everyone bringing a check to the actual wedding.
YOU may be used to that, but that doesn't mean it's the norm.

Quote:
i could be wrong about all this.
You are.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:47 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Then you don't know much.

YOU may be used to that, but that doesn't mean it's the norm.

You are.
Haha geez ok. Its not that big of a deal.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Ehh arent you supposed to cover your plate? Im not saying you have to but inst that the standard/whats expected? So if you bring someone thats an extra plate to be covered. Im not saying i agree with this lol i think weddings are ridiculous in general, but i think the brideand groom expect people to at least cover their plates.
I just got married last year and "covering our plates" never entered into the discussion. We had a strict budget for our wedding and did the best we could with what we were willing to spend. It wasn't fancy but it was pretty, and it was very "us." We did not register for gifts (we have enough stuff) but gratefully accepted the gifts some of our guests chose to give us. Some were more generous than others, but none were expected. We wrote thank-you notes promptly after the honeymoon. We never "totaled up" what we got vs what we spent. We didn't care.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:47 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,773 times
Well I think that if guests can afford it, they should roughly cover per person cost of the event and then leave a bit more for the actual gift. But then I only went to the weddings of the friends or family members who I've know for years and cared about. I would feel different if this was someone I know casually.

But I agree that it is absolutely tacky for the hosts to discuss the gifts they received and complain if someone did not pay enough...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings