Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 05:10 PM

284 posts, read 701,938 times

Advertisements

My daughter is getting married in an informal ceremony at their home. She has her dress (short, very pretty) and says I should look for something in a bluey green or teal or light teal range. I would prefer below the knee to midi length. I wear a large or XL misses size. Any idea where to look, in the metro Phoenix area or online? I need a pretty dress suitable for a wedding but not formal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 06:00 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,743,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianR View Post
My daughter is getting married in an informal ceremony at their home. She has her dress (short, very pretty) and says I should look for something in a bluey green or teal or light teal range. I would prefer below the knee to midi length. I wear a large or XL misses size. Any idea where to look, in the metro Phoenix area or online? I need a pretty dress suitable for a wedding but not formal.
I am not so sure about Phoenix, but my mom just got a beautiful mother of the bride dress at Dillards for $42.50!

Old 10-10-2014, 05:22 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,594,618 times
I will second Dillard's and go to the one at Scottsdale Mall. They always have the best selection. Check Macy's while you are there too.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:03 PM

39,321 posts, read 27,704,630 times
I would shop online if I were you. Actually, using online site for creativity if you would like.
Google mother of the bride dresses and you will have thousands of different choices in a second.

I think I will be buying several dresses (all returnable) lol on line and make the final decision.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:04 PM

For teal color. I like this dress

http://image.dhgate.com/albu_3733113...-strapless.jpg

Old 10-14-2014, 07:57 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,594,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

I would just caution you using dhgate.com for dresses. I ordered one for my son's wedding this past spring and it was nothing like pictures. Ugliest dress ever and I went thru the wringer trying to get my money back. Ordered one for my daughter from the same site and it never even arrived although they showed it as being delivered. Total nightmare with last minute panic shopping for dresses.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:47 PM

284 posts, read 701,938 times
I am looking for a pretty casual dress, not a formal dress. I think a formal dress would be easier!

Old 10-14-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPam View Post
I would just caution you using dhgate.com for dresses. I ordered one for my son's wedding this past spring and it was nothing like pictures. Ugliest dress ever and I went thru the wringer trying to get my money back. Ordered one for my daughter from the same site and it never even arrived although they showed it as being delivered. Total nightmare with last minute panic shopping for dresses.
Oh geeze. Thanks for the warning. May I ask are these dresses coming from China?

Old 10-15-2014, 06:38 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,743,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Oh geeze. Thanks for the warning. May I ask are these dresses coming from China?
Many of the websites similar to dhgate/lightinthebox/most "wholesaler" sites are made in and coming from China. If you google dhgate it even states, "Buy directly from Chinese factories."

Not that most dresses sold to you by a retailer aren't also made in China, but from I what I have heard... it makes returning things a pain if they don't fit. I have had friends who have ordered from lightinthebox - some who absolutely loved their dress and others who hated it and went to David's after it came in.

I also had a friend, not sure which website she chose, who had to send photos of her taking her measurements and then they had to match them to what she put in online, all to be able to return the dress. Another lady on a different board that went that route has had to fight her credit card company tooth and nail to return money she paid for a Chinese dress where they never sent her the dress and kept asking her to pay for it, even though she did! However, there are also many people who were able to get dresses similar to designer gowns they wanted but couldn't afford. So it is all a roll of the dice, I suppose! I am considering trying it because my 11 year old niece found a junior bridesmaid dress she loves on there that we haven't found anything else she loves nearly as much. Luckily, it is only a $50 gamble compared to $150-$250.

It's not necessarily a bad choice to use these websites, but it is a risk. I wouldn't necessarily order a lot of dresses and expect to be able to return them easily unless you ordered online from Dillards/Macy's, etc.

Last edited by randomlikeme; 10-15-2014 at 06:46 AM..

Old 10-15-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Many of the websites similar to dhgate/lightinthebox/most "wholesaler" sites are made in and coming from China. If you google dhgate it even states, "Buy directly from Chinese factories."

Not that most dresses sold to you by a retailer aren't also made in China, but from I what I have heard... it makes returning things a pain if they don't fit. I have had friends who have ordered from lightinthebox - some who absolutely loved their dress and others who hated it and went to David's after it came in.

I also had a friend, not sure which website she chose, who had to send photos of her taking her measurements and then they had to match them to what she put in online, all to be able to return the dress. Another lady on a different board that went that route has had to fight her credit card company tooth and nail to return money she paid for a Chinese dress where they never sent her the dress and kept asking her to pay for it, even though she did! However, there are also many people who were able to get dresses similar to designer gowns they wanted but couldn't afford. So it is all a roll of the dice, I suppose! I am considering trying it because my 11 year old niece found a junior bridesmaid dress she loves on there that we haven't found anything else she loves nearly as much. Luckily, it is only a $50 gamble compared to $150-$250.

It's not necessarily a bad choice to use these websites, but it is a risk. I wouldn't necessarily order a lot of dresses and expect to be able to return them easily unless you ordered online from Dillards/Macy's, etc.
Thank you Random.
I am looking for something to wear on my bro's upcoming wedding. I still have many months to prepare. Plus, we don't know what colors to wear yet. Most likely my sistter and I will be wearing the same color.

I don't think I will buy anything from a wholesale website from China. But I might look at those sites for dress ideas.

bolded is very tempting though. If I decided to go with a Chinese factory, I will look at those feedbacks of the sellers carefully I think.

Thank you for the advice. Really appreciate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings