Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 09:17 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmorangie View Post
I also wouldn't want to be proposed to on Christmas, but everyone's different. There's an engagement ring thread in the Wedding forum where a few people have good alternative suggestions for the traditional diamond ring. Perhaps the lady's birthstone or a ring made out of a favorite gem of hers. You could plan to "upgrade" it with a real diamond on an anniversary, if that idea appeals to you down the line.

Engagement Ring - Is it Acceptable to Buy Cheap and Upgrade Later?
"Buy cheap" then upgrade? Some birthstones are much more expensive than diamonds. Diamonds are ordinary. Emeralds, for example, are rare. If her birthstone is garnet (January), you could do something different and get her a green garnet. Some are expensive, others not. Some women prefer not to have a deBeers product, anyway. There are lots of beautiful stones that are more affordable, too. Chrysoprase is a gorgeous green. Some people like the multicolored aspect of opals.

Get jiggy with it, OP! Get creative. Another thing you can do is look online on antique sellers' sites, and look for unique estate jewelry. But maybe you've already decided on something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 09:26 PM

837 posts, read 962,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Buy cheap" then upgrade? Some birthstones are much more expensive than diamonds. Diamonds are ordinary. Emeralds, for example, are rare. If her birthstone is garnet (January), you could do something different and get her a green garnet. Some are expensive, others not. Some women prefer not to have a deBeers product, anyway. There are lots of beautiful stones that are more affordable, too. Chrysoprase is a gorgeous green. Some people like the multicolored aspect of opals.

Get jiggy with it, OP! Get creative. Another thing you can do is look online on antique sellers' sites, and look for unique estate jewelry. But maybe you've already decided on something.
Sorry, Ruth! I haven't the slightest clue how much diamonds are compared to other stones! I was just pointing to the other thread where I assume the ladies are offering more informed suggestions than I can.

OP: Do you know what month the baby will be born on? You could get a necklace mother/baby piece that incorporates an element from the mother's birth month and the baby's. Or if the ring idea doesn't work out, I guess that's another option for a sentimental Christmas gift. You don't have to do birthstones, but there are options out there for unique Mom and Baby pieces.

I think it's great you're setting aside for the kid and I bet she'll understand if you go with a less pricey gift in anticipation of the little one.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,635,440 times
If you want there to be more of an element of surprise, it wouldn't hurt to NOT do it on a major holiday. If that's not a real priority, go for it.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:02 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,766,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmorangie View Post
I also wouldn't want to be proposed to on Christmas, but everyone's different. There's an engagement ring thread in the Wedding forum where a few people have good alternative suggestions for the traditional diamond ring. Perhaps the lady's birthstone or a ring made out of a favorite gem of hers. You could plan to "upgrade" it with a real diamond on an anniversary, if that idea appeals to you down the line.

Engagement Ring - Is it Acceptable to Buy Cheap and Upgrade Later?
I like that idea! I wasn't thinking of proposing on Christmas Day itself. Instead, maybe a couple days before or on Christmas Eve.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:12 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,750,088 times
whatever you do buy it soon because they will jack ring prices up for the holidays very soon.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
whatever you do buy it soon because they will jack ring prices up for the holidays very soon.
Oh boy, I didn't think about that. I was also thinking, as one poster suggested, to buy a ring with the birthstone month the baby is due (July). BUT! What happens if the baby comes in June? Do I just replace the birthstone?

Old 11-11-2014, 07:42 AM

837 posts, read 962,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Oh boy, I didn't think about that. I was also thinking, as one poster suggested, to buy a ring with the birthstone month the baby is due (July). BUT! What happens if the baby comes in June? Do I just replace the birthstone?
If the due date is at the beginning of the month, close to the previous, that's a risk you have to consider and whether it's worth going that route. Definitely ask the place you buy it from if you can switch it out and have them quote you on options for your June pick and July backup pick.

As Ruth pointed out, some stones are even pricier than diamonds. July's is a ruby, which unfortunately I think is one of those expensive stones. Going shopping for a vintage piece with just her stone may work, too.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:50 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,750,088 times
whats your budget btw? because you can get a nice diamond on any budget if you do it right.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
whats your budget btw? because you can get a nice diamond on any budget if you do it right.
Well, I've got excellent credit, so I was thinking of hitting up Weisfield or Zales.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:15 AM

Oh, and yes, the expected due date is around July 7th ish. So maybe getting the baby birthstone wouldn't be a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings