Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2015, 08:22 AM

19 posts, read 3,434 times

Advertisements

Is it true that marriage in the United States has been declining over the last few years? Because I noticed that 4-5 years ago , people were getting married left and right and now it is 2015 and very few weddings now. Are men and women not trusting each other anymore ? Do men not see benefits to then if getting married? Could it be the economy because now a days it is a major risk when you get marriage and no ones job is secure? Do we see less and less getting married in the future because a lot of people told me that getting married is putting your life at major risk because there are no garuntees with marriage these days. Many say you are more secure with a job than marriage.. Is this all true the question that I ask

Old 05-11-2015, 09:49 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I get invited to two or three (or more) weddings every year , so I'm not seeing that there are very few people getting married.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:55 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard on earth View Post
Is it true that marriage in the United States has been declining over the last few years? Because I noticed that 4-5 years ago , people were getting married left and right and now it is 2015 and very few weddings now. Are men and women not trusting each other anymore ? Do men not see benefits to then if getting married? Could it be the economy because now a days it is a major risk when you get marriage and no ones job is secure? Do we see less and less getting married in the future because a lot of people told me that getting married is putting your life at major risk because there are no garuntees with marriage these days. Many say you are more secure with a job than marriage.. Is this all true the question that I ask
US marriage rates have been holding steady at around 6.8 per 1000 people per year since the 2008 crash. Maybe over the last five years you have noticed fewer marriages among friends because you are a stage in life where fewer of your friends remain single to be married.

Although this is a decline since before the recession, there has been no further precipitous drop off in more recent years.

The economy was a major factor in the initial drop in the 2008-2009 time frame and may continue to be so as younger folks have struggled more with establishing good jobs and careers, become more independent of others, and also just a natural trend which is seeing people get married at older ages in life than in the past.

Just watch out with this broad brush. These are trends, and there are TONS of anecdotal examples to the contrary.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:30 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Is it true that marriage in the United States has been declining over the last few years?
No, that is not true.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No, that is not true.
Well it could also be based on the age range. Plus the job market and trust. More people are being very analytical these days because although you get married there is no gaurante with a job , companies are constantly changing and are cutting costs. Plus with the way many people act these days and people observed other people's marriages. There is no guarantee that you can always trust your partner. People change over time. I have seen couples at first hand start off their marriage as being the perfect couple then all of a sudden they hit a fork in the road. So there are no gaurantees with marriage. It is a big risk

Old 05-11-2015, 11:42 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
And now you are just looking to argue.

You asked "Is it true that marriage in the United States has been declining over the last few years?"
Several people say 'no' and even give statistics proving it... and now you are changing parameters and arguing.

Why ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer?

Old 05-11-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
And now you are just looking to argue.

You asked "Is it true that marriage in the United States has been declining over the last few years?"
Several people say 'no' and even give statistics proving it... and now you are changing parameters and arguing.

Why ask the question if you don't want to hear the answer?
Why are people diverting with statistics instead of facts? I am not looking to argue people here are looking to argue with statistics . Why is it that they don't see it because of Job security or divorce rates? Yes people are being analytical about who the marry these days. You have to be . You have to cover all your grounds of people were truly trustworthy and prepared you would not be seeing people get married at later ages . Also there would be no divorce courts and everyone would be get married. I have seen this with couples who are married that their relationship is not always dandy. Throwing statistics out doesn't always necessarily cut it. If this was a perfect world you would see more people getting married . You have to observe people and not statistics.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:56 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Quote:
Why are people diverting with statistics instead of facts? I am not looking to argue people here are looking to argue with statistics . Why is it that they don't see it because of Job security or divorce rates? Yes people are being analytical about who the marry these days. You have to be . You have to cover all your grounds of people were truly trustworthy and prepared you would not be seeing people get married at later ages . Also there would be no divorce courts and everyone would be get married. I have seen this with couples who are married that their relationship is not always dandy. Throwing statistics out doesn't always necessarily cut it. If this was a perfect world you would see more people getting married . You have to observe people and not statistics.
Why?

Your argument is predicated on an allegation that the rate at which people are getting married has declined significantly in the last 5 years.

Statistics show people are getting married at the same rate over the past 5 years. That there has been NO decline.

Therefore, your original premise is proven false on it's basis. So there is no point to discuss why marriage rates have recently dropped when those rates have not dropped.

It would be like me arguing the world is flat which is causing a water shortage due to the water running off the end of the earth, and still sticking to that argument after conclusive evidence is presented that the earth is indeed round, and no water is falling off of it.

There is no argument left to be had.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:00 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Why are people diverting with statistics instead of facts?
Statistics are facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings