Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 02:43 PM

670 posts, read 482,397 times

Advertisements

We are having a fall themed wedding so was thinking of maybe incorporating caramel apples as either a favor or dessert. We are having a ton of food so I think I will need to remove something in order to have them. On our dessert station we are having wedding cake, seasonal macarons, pumpkin pie jars, chocolate covered strawberries and chocolate bouchons. We are also having a late night philly themed station of mini cheesesteaks and soft pretzels. The late night station is about an hr after dessert. Should I replace something in the dessert station with wrapped individual caramel apples and put in a basket? IF so, what do you think is replaceable? Or should I serve as a favor before they leave in baskets and remove the cheesesteak station? We are also having a lot of food at cocktail hour and a sit down dinner. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 04:48 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
If you're going to relpace anything, I would replace the strawberries. But honestly I don't think caramel apples are a good idea.

They are too problematic for people with dental work and aren't really that great once you start eating them. It's an example of a theme idea that works on paper but not in reality.

I think the men would revolt if you pulled the cheesesteak station.

Old 07-17-2016, 01:41 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,156,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
If you're going to relpace anything, I would replace the strawberries. But honestly I don't think caramel apples are a good idea.

They are too problematic for people with dental work and aren't really that great once you start eating them. It's an example of a theme idea that works on paper but not in reality.

I think the men would revolt if you pulled the cheesesteak station.
I agree with this ^^.

Caramel apples are way too messy for a wedding. I'd say the pumpkin pie dessert covers the fall theme.

You certainly are having a "ton of food!" Cocktail hour, sit down dinner, dessert station, followed by "late night" food stations...wow!

Old 07-17-2016, 03:19 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times
You're having a late night station an HOUR after dessert? That's a lot of food in a very short time frame. Do you want your guests to be able to move? I'd personally cut back to only 3 desserts and push the "late night" station back at least another hour.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:00 PM

11,800 posts, read 12,043,246 times
What time is the sit down dinner? I agree with rrah, that is a lot of food.

I think the caramel apples are too messy as well and create issues with teeth, dentures, etc. I think they'd be a waste of money.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:04 PM

8,273 posts, read 8,664,411 times
As with all of your threads, no one will remember this a week after the wedding.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:11 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
As with all of your threads, no one will remember this a week after the wedding.
I have to agree with thinkalot on this one.

You are definitely overthinking and over planning and over worrying and over everything about this wedding. I hope that you are doing as much thinking about your actual marriage as this one day in your life.

It reminds me of a relative who nearly came to blows with her parents when she wanted to add real rose petals on each of the guest tables which would have added a few hundred dollars to her already (in today's dollars) almost $100,000 wedding. Her parents said "No, not one more 'extra thing'." The daughter was so mad that she did not speak to them for a few days.

Yes, I remember that she had a very nice wedding & reception but do I remember any of the details? No, not really. She did have a great DJ and the food & free bar were great and they had a coffee and dessert bar late in the evening but that is about it. I don't remember what we ate, I don't remember the centerpieces (except that they were too big to see the people across the table), I don't remember the cake (except that it HUGE), I don't remember any specifics about anything. On the plus side she apologized to her parents for the rose petal incident, thanked them for paying for the wedding and has been happily married almost 15 years.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:19 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,094,404 times
How about adding pumpkin pie or a pumpkin flavored coffee as a fall theme? Seems to be easier and cheaper that caramelized apples... Not sure why you want to spend money on after dessert food station. I have never seen that done in any of the roughly 6+ weddings I have attended... I don't know anyone who is still hungry after the food at the cocktail hour, sit down dinner and dessert...

Old 07-19-2016, 08:26 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Once dessert is done, I think I'd stick to a table with some basic munchies. Pretzels, chips, cookies, mints, nuts, mini cupcakes, etc. In other words, keep it LIGHT and keep portions SMALL.

If you want to work your fall theme into that, you can get some really good caramel apple cookies or cupcakes, for example. I would not load things up with this level of food you are describing.

Your guests, if there's alcohol involved, with be throwing up in the reception hall from gorging themselves on food.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:27 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I have to agree with thinkalot on this one.

You are definitely overthinking and over planning and over worrying and over everything about this wedding. I hope that you are doing as much thinking about your actual marriage as this one day in your life.

It reminds me of a relative who nearly came to blows with her parents when she wanted to add real rose petals on each of the guest tables which would have added a few hundred dollars to her already (in today's dollars) almost $100,000 wedding. Her parents said "No, not one more 'extra thing'." The daughter was so mad that she did not speak to them for a few days.

Yes, I remember that she had a very nice wedding & reception but do I remember any of the details? No, not really. She did have a great DJ and the food & free bar were great and they had a coffee and dessert bar late in the evening but that is about it. I don't remember what we ate, I don't remember the centerpieces (except that they were too big to see the people across the table), I don't remember the cake (except that it HUGE), I don't remember any specifics about anything. On the plus side she apologized to her parents for the rose petal incident, thanked them for paying for the wedding and has been happily married almost 15 years.
I would rather the rose petals on the tables than overdo it on the food. And, that option would probably be more affordable.

I do agree with your overall point, though. People forget most of this stuff after a wedding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings