Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2017, 10:54 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
And the funny thing is, no matter how much a bride swears up and down that her wedding will be unique and outside the box, it still ends up being cookie cutter right down to the horribly staged photographs.
Yes.

Personally, I think weddings should be private with only the couple and a few close friends/family. Short ceremony. Its a personal thing.

If you want to have a party, have a party. A wedding is about two people joining their lives. Not whatever sad un-fun, expensive excuse for a celebration the "wedding industry" has turned it into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 08:12 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Yes.

Personally, I think weddings should be private with only the couple and a few close friends/family. Short ceremony. Its a personal thing.

If you want to have a party, have a party. A wedding is about two people joining their lives. Not whatever sad un-fun, expensive excuse for a celebration the "wedding industry" has turned it into.
There have always been large expensive weddings, at least as far back as anyone still living can remember.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:48 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
The ugly strapless dresses that all look alike.
^^^^ This. 100%.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:59 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
Years ago, I went to a horrible wedding as a guest of a friend of the bride. The groom had to be sobered up before the ceremony took place and had to be frog marched to the altar by his best man and his father. On the way down the aisle he was winking and flirting with one of the guests. The bride's mother walked her down the aisle holding a CD player that kept starting and stopping. When the bride reached the front, the groom accidentally stepped on her wedding veil which left a large black footprint that no one tried to clean off.

The reception area was hot and smelly, and the bride's mother was sweating as she attempted to make salami roll-up appetizers and squirted Cheez Whiz on Ritz crackers. They told the guests to hang onto their styrofoam cups and someone came around and poured beer into each cup, whether or not you drank beer didn't matter. The groom's dad plonked 2 buckets on chicken on the table and the guests swarmed them like dogs. The bride and groom did a disgusting and overtly sexual first dance that had everyone blushing and the groom apparently passed out from the heat. I have never been to such a horrible wedding in my entire life!

Old 09-05-2017, 11:27 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Years ago, I went to a horrible wedding as a guest of a friend of the bride. The groom had to be sobered up before the ceremony took place and had to be frog marched to the altar by his best man and his father. On the way down the aisle he was winking and flirting with one of the guests. The bride's mother walked her down the aisle holding a CD player that kept starting and stopping. When the bride reached the front, the groom accidentally stepped on her wedding veil which left a large black footprint that no one tried to clean off.

The reception area was hot and smelly, and the bride's mother was sweating as she attempted to make salami roll-up appetizers and squirted Cheez Whiz on Ritz crackers. They told the guests to hang onto their styrofoam cups and someone came around and poured beer into each cup, whether or not you drank beer didn't matter. The groom's dad plonked 2 buckets on chicken on the table and the guests swarmed them like dogs. The bride and groom did a disgusting and overtly sexual first dance that had everyone blushing and the groom apparently passed out from the heat. I have never been to such a horrible wedding in my entire life!

Wisconsin?

Sounds like fun!

Old 09-06-2017, 01:28 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Wisconsin?

Sounds like fun!
Close, Indiana!

Old 09-07-2017, 08:51 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
I saw an episode of Four Weddings where one bride only provided seating for family, and the rest of the guests were forced to stand. I thought that was incredibly rude.

My sister once went to a wedding where they ran out of food at the buffet, so half the guests didn't get to eat.

The best wedding I've been to was my best friend's. She kept it small, around 40 guests, and instead of doing a sitdown reception, she held an extended cocktail hour at a local martini bar/lounge. Open bar, tons of hot and cold appetizers, cake for dessert and a nice laid-back vibe. It was nice to be able to mingle and move around, and not stuck at a table trying to make awkward conversation with someone's great-aunt.

At our reception, we (I) was paying for the dinners by the plate. Which was fine, I knew this going into the arrangement.

Did not count on one of our guests sitting at the bar the entire time, encouraging all 'the help' (bartenders and waiters) to help themselves to some dinner. Which they did.

Old 01-27-2018, 03:52 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,150,103 times
Worst wedding? The one where the rent-a-minster showed up snockered & couldn't remember the bride & groom's names.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:10 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
What? I have never once attended a wedding where a BF & GF both caught the garter & the bouquet. What in the world was that girl thinking that she started to cry about it.

Usually the fun is that the two make such an odd "couple". Like the wedding I attended where a 17 or 18 year old boy caught the garter and he had to put it on a 30 something year old woman in super, super sexy revealing short dress. Man was he ever embarrassed.

But, it is too bad that you missed so much of the wedding, especially the meal, by having pictures taken. Most couples try to get it done very fast so they miss very little of the reception and it certainly does not ever interfere with the meal. And, it is too bad that you were unhappy with the photographs after all that.
My 8 year old stepson caught the garter at his cousin's wedding, someone's 80 something aunt caught the bouquet. Shortest garter application ever!! boom.

I have a lot of cousins, most older than me, and on an in-law's side of the family was someone with a catering business. So for years, all weddings were catered by these people, dismal cafeteria type food, chicken, canned string beans - blech!! This was way back in the 60's - 70's, before weddings became a BIG THING. You got married in the local church, rented the local Elks, Moose, or K of C hall for your reception.

So no "worst wedding", just minor annoyances. I do hate it when the happy couple thinks they will get away with "heavy hors d'oeuvres" and the guests are thinking "DINNER!!" Usually the food runs out after half the guests have helped themselves. Serve a real meal, people.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:34 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
My 8 year old stepson caught the garter at his cousin's wedding, someone's 80 something aunt caught the bouquet. Shortest garter application ever!! boom.

I have a lot of cousins, most older than me, and on an in-law's side of the family was someone with a catering business. So for years, all weddings were catered by these people, dismal cafeteria type food, chicken, canned string beans - blech!! This was way back in the 60's - 70's, before weddings became a BIG THING. You got married in the local church, rented the local Elks, Moose, or K of C hall for your reception.

So no "worst wedding", just minor annoyances. I do hate it when the happy couple thinks they will get away with "heavy hors d'oeuvres" and the guests are thinking "DINNER!!" Usually the food runs out after half the guests have helped themselves. Serve a real meal, people.
The worst one I ever attended, which I don't have time to detail this moment, had first cousins of the same age catch the garter and bouquet. It was cringeworthy...they went through with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings