Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 11:15 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times

Advertisements

I just remembered an acquaintance where the husband took his wife's last name. He had a foreign name with a very unusual, difficult spelling and it was pronounced "Vagina". His wife's last name was a common, easy to pronounce name like Johnson or Smith or Jones. My acquaintance said that she could not picture going through married life being called "Mrs. Vagina" and her hubby had hated having a last name like that, too, so she kept her name and he changed his last name to her last name.

She said that they were especially happy with their decision when they had three daughters. She said that she could just imagine the problems with having a very difficult last name to spell and to top it off by having it pronounced like a female body part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 03:29 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,755,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
OP, what are your reasons for wanting to have the same last name?
To be one family, prevent confusion.

Old 11-13-2016, 12:26 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
To be one family, prevent confusion.
I can see this, if you are planning to have children. My husband and I have different last names. My brother and his wife have different last names - their children have his last name. I don't think anyone is confused, and it isn't matching names that make a family.

To each his own and you should do whatever works for you.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:44 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,508,468 times
Sounds great to me. I don't think it's common, and I bet you'd get some flak from people about that choice (some people are going to think it's weird), but I'm all for it. I haven't known a man to take his wife's last name- the closest thing I've seen is hyphenating both names (I'm assuming you meant hyphenating instead of abbreviating? Abbreviating would make something shorter). I think it's a great idea. Pick the name you both like and go with it. I had a friend who chose a new name with her spouse. They created a new name out of the letters in their original last names.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:26 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,885,127 times
I know two guys who have gone this route. One was actively looking to rid himself of his abusive step-dad's name that he carried. The other just had a long and difficult to pronounce last name and liked his wife's better.

My fiance and I are probably going to combine bits of our last names into something new. It would be a plus for both of us: my birth name is a super complicated hyphenated monstrosity, and when you google my partner's name you get a news article from his small hometown paper about a stupid prank he pulled in high school.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:16 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
When my wife and I were getting married she said she wanted to keep her last name for professional reasons. I had a problem with that since it was the last name of her former husband rather than her maiden name. Not on my watch would I be married to Mrs. Ex'slastname. When I put it like that she agreed and it caused only a very minor, short-lived hiccup for her professionally. Of course, then she had to learn to spell my last name!

Old 11-27-2016, 10:33 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
Choose the name you want. Period.

And pay no attention to those who insist you must do this or that. Some will hold it against you for not following convention (that's called 'political correctness', though in this case it's a code of behavior demanded by those individuals who usually rail against such things).

Old 12-02-2016, 01:24 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times
I see nothing wrong with the wife keeping her maiden name. I think it's a little unusual for the man to take the wife's name but he's the one who has to do all the paperwork so whatever makes you happy.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:08 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hello,
Not sure if this is the correct place for this, if not, please move this thread. I had a talk with my fiancee the other day, and she decided that she would like to keep her maiden name. Her reasoning are justified, ntbut I would like to both have the same last name.

With that said, I thought about taking her last name. I know its not common for the husband to take the wife's last name, but I think it is better than my last name. Its easier to say (everyone gets my last name wrong), and I like the flow of how my first name and her last name sounds. In fact, saying my middle name and her last name rhymes!

The abbreviation idea has been ruled out because it would be a real mish-mash of syllable and very lengthy.

Thoughts? Can any husbands that did this chime in?

Thank you.
I am not in favor of different last names when married.

I think your idea is lovely. Once you are married, nobody will ever ask who had the name first.

Congrats on the engagement.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:32 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
I knew someone who must have done that. His last name was the same as hers, yet people referred to HER ancestors as "the so-and-so family." The family had an elite background in a certain activity, so I thought he did it for that reason, OR because the family insisted on it if they had children later. Keeping the heirs in the same name and all that.

I also know of a guy who had been in my brother's school year. Later, he changed his last name so that he could inherit some money. I don't know whose name, but maybe it was his mother's maiden name if she came from a wealthy family. I do remember they were said to be wealthy...maybe it was from the mother's ancestors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings