Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 11:56 AM

3,906 posts, read 4,560,219 times

Advertisements

Can a moderator please close this thread now? I think points have been made and heard.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 12:39 PM

24,728 posts, read 11,055,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ofc it’s still an engagement ring...Ita it’s what it symbolizes to the wearer & giver. I just assumed that the O.P. meant she would be giving her future daughter in law diamonds when she said passing “stones” for the ring.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:43 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,604,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post

Tho you quoted something I said & said this.^^ What does it mean? Use your words!

Old 03-25-2021, 03:11 AM

23,900 posts, read 33,661,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Can a moderator please close this thread now? I think points have been made and heard.
Thanks!

It would be nice if they leave it open so you can update us on what they decided to do.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:49 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,487,274 times
I found this thread interesting in that my ring was in my mother's family since the mid-1800s. After it became clear we were heading toward engagement, I told my guy I wanted to use this ring. It was missing a small diamond. I gave it to him and he had them make the center a touch larger. I love it and it is unique and beautiful and yet understated.

But the ring really has nothing to do with his love and commitment to me. There were a lot of big long term challenges in my life and wanting to tie himself to THAT was symbol enough.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:08 AM

4,044 posts, read 2,719,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I found this thread interesting in that my ring was in my mother's family since the mid-1800s. After it became clear we were heading toward engagement, I told my guy I wanted to use this ring. It was missing a small diamond. I gave it to him and he had them make the center a touch larger. I love it and it is unique and beautiful and yet understated.

But the ring really has nothing to do with his love and commitment to me. There were a lot of big long term challenges in my life and wanting to tie himself to THAT was symbol enough.
Same for my fiancé and I. He was an amazing man.

I love that your ring was in the family for so long!

Old 04-10-2021, 08:45 AM

6,900 posts, read 4,917,939 times
Passing down an engagement ring can be a lovely way to welcome someone into the family.

Didn't Kate get princess diana's ring? Was it as an engagement ring or something else? I don't keep up with the royals.

I've a friend whose fiance offered her a new car or a diamond. She took the car because she needed it. He also put her through graduate school after they were married........and she was stuck with just a plain band. How gastly. @@. Amazing how they raised a family and were married until he died without any bling at all.

Rings aren't contaminated. Reused stones aren't inferior. If I love someone why would I want them to "prove" their love by spending a lot of money, possibly going into debt on a ring if they had a more practical opportunity of having a family stone reset? Hopefully they prove their love everyday by their kindness and thoughtfulness.

I think there is no harm done in asking the couple. If they are pragmatic they may think it's a good idea. If they are superstitious they may feel it's been contaminated by divorce or being a used stone. Only one way to find out.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:26 AM

3,765 posts, read 5,876,358 times
We have a friend that gave his future wife a ring ( I don't even think it was remounted) that his father won in a poker game ! LOL It was at least a full carat and a nice ring. He was just getting out of med school and into a residency so didn't have any money. They are very happy and he is finally has his real job after 4 years.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:50 AM

23,900 posts, read 33,661,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Passing down an engagement ring can be a lovely way to welcome someone into the family.

Didn't Kate get princess diana's ring? Was it as an engagement ring or something else? I don't keep up with the royals.

I've a friend whose fiance offered her a new car or a diamond. She took the car because she needed it. He also put her through graduate school after they were married........and she was stuck with just a plain band. How gastly. @@. Amazing how they raised a family and were married until he died without any bling at all.

Rings aren't contaminated. Reused stones aren't inferior. If I love someone why would I want them to "prove" their love by spending a lot of money, possibly going into debt on a ring if they had a more practical opportunity of having a family stone reset? Hopefully they prove their love everyday by their kindness and thoughtfulness.

I think there is no harm done in asking the couple. If they are pragmatic they may think it's a good idea. If they are superstitious they may feel it's been contaminated by divorce or being a used stone. Only one way to find out.

Yes, Kate's engagement ring was Diana's engagement ring. Meghan's was made from diamonds from some of Diana's jewelry. The boys wanted their wives to have a part of their mom. Beautiful sentiment

Kate had platinum beads added to the inside of the ring to make it fit better. Princess Diana slightly changed it too, she had more prongs added to the sapphire. There originally were 8, it now has 14. Believe it or not, her ring wasn't custom, it was bought at a local jewelry store Garrard where anyone could buy it.

Diana's ring was originally given to Harry but Harry gave it to William so that one day it will sit on the Queen's throne, something their mother didn't get to do. Apparently it was mentioned in the Amazon documentary The Diana Story

Not only do the wives get Diana's jewelry, it's a tradition to use rare Welsh gold passed down from the Queen Mother from 1923.

Kate Middleton’s ring: All the details you could possibly need to know

Quote:
Most of you know that before it became Kate Middleton's engagement ring, it was actually Princess Diana's. As fans of The Crown will attest, she got engaged to Prince Charles in February 1981, and chose the ring herself, instead of picking one from the Queen's collection

Later on though, Harry chose to give it to his brother William. ‘Harry said to him: “Wouldn’t it be fitting if she had mummy’s ring? Then one day that ring will be sat on the throne of England”‘ recalls Burrell.

...forged from a nugget of rare Welsh gold. In 1923, the royal family obtained a large nugget of gold from the Clogau St. David’s Gold Mine in Bontddu, North Wales, to make the Queen Mother’s wedding ring.

That same nugget was used for the rings of Queen Elizabeth II, Princess Margaret, Princess Anne and Princess Diana, however not much was left of it after that.

But fear not, the British Royal Legion came to the rescue by gifting Queen Elizabeth with a second nugget in the 1980s, which has been used for the wedding rings for the Fergie, the Countess of Wessex, Camilla, Meghan and Kate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings