Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:03 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,688 times

Advertisements

Here's a good one. This is what my husband and I did. We funded our own wedding.
My parents were in Germany during most of the planning and sent us a gift of $1000 to either use for the wedding or for other expenses. His mother and step-father also gave us $1000 to use as we saw fit. His father and step-mother did not give us a gift of money, but were very helpful throughout the weddig planning process. His mom helped me a lot with the planning even though she does not live nearby.

And we were only 24 and 22 when we got married!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 01:17 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,949 times
With all of the replies here there is one thing that has come to mind Is it to late to swap out kids????? I also have another one to look forward to in the years to come, I ll pay for that one since it is my daughter but she is alot more reasonable and mature beyond her yrs., at least for now lollllll

Old 06-26-2008, 02:57 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,434,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
With all of the replies here there is one thing that has come to mind Is it to late to swap out kids????? .......
Yeah....mine are not married....yet...but THAT THOUGHT had come to my mind, if I remember correctly....ROTFL.
Well...you're stuck with 'em....and if you can't fight them, you gotta join 'em....LOL. (That's what keeps me afloat, so to speak....LOL)
I think, my husband and I will be conveniently "out of the country", when my boys decide of getting married, because I am trying my best to keep the little sanity, I still have left....LOL.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:57 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,685 times
Is the bride is pushing your son guilt you into footing bills they are more than capable of paying for themselves? When I got married, it was in my in-law's home and the only guests were his parents and my parents. A JP presided. That was 17 years ago.

We wanted to be married, not have a wedding. Call me cheap, but if they have already set up housekeeping, why the big wedding? Traditionally it was done to help the couple fill their house with what they would need to start a life together. Sounds like they have everything they need.

Sounds like they think you should be paying, but not heard! I would hate to see this as the beginning of a pattern of how you will be treated in the future.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:03 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,949 times
Oh Siobjuan, It is not the beginning of the pattern but it may well be the end. The brides parents are flipping the big money, they just keep stoking the fire. And yes this is definately a case of where money talks. By the way you are not cheap, just abit smarter than most....

Old 06-27-2008, 08:58 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
We wanted to be married, not have a wedding.
Great point - the only point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings