Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:41 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
No, it's spending money that one doesn't have that's gotten us into the mess we're in.

I think if a couple wants to blow their own money, that's their prerogative. I'm more interested in the lavish weddings thrown for children by parents barely eking by.
I do not understand the concept of parents paying for a couple's wedding AT ALL. This is definitely something a couple should work out on their own with whatever money they can save themselves. If a couple has no money to get married, they probably shouldn't be getting married in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 02:42 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I do not understand the concept of parents paying for a couple's wedding AT ALL. This is definitely something a couple should work out on their own with whatever money they can save themselves. If a couple has no money to get married, they probably shouldn't be getting married in the first place.
Oh, I'm with you on that. Yet, people have just blithely gone along with that rationale.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:21 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Blithe couple here. (Well, half of one.) Our wedding was about $15K, paid for by my parents. My dad is self-employed, and I never had a good idea whether my parents were hurting for money, so I originally tried to plan a very modest wedding at my parents' house, where l lived. (I was 21 and in college.) My parents told me that I was their daughter and they were going to give us a nice wedding, so I let them. I did keep my mother in check, though, because she would have gone kind of nuts.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:24 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
My husband's older brother and sister have a different mother than he does, and they are wealthy. Both of their weddings were about $250K. They were both gorgeous events, absolutely breathtaking and picturesque, but yeah, I'd rather have a house. They're different, though. They already had houses.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:27 PM

I'm with you JJ, and we throw some boffo parties. I just think I'd much rather throw a nice party on a modest budget with a few dozen friends and relatives than blow tens of thousands inviting half the planet. Of course, it's a preference thing if it's your own money. But when you're guilting your parents to pony up huge sums, that's something else.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:28 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
I went to the jp. I got married in front of my mom and uncle's partner and 10 people waiting to sue their landlord right after. I'll be married 8 years next month. My husband's sister did the whole wedding and apparently was a bridezilla and her marriage lasted about a year or two.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:37 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,570 times
Good post, CPG- I haven't popped the question to my GF yet, but I'm sure I will and the wedding expense is probably the thing I dread the most. I own a house, and have real expenses. I'm not at my parent's sleeping in a twin bed. I told my girl that I'm not interested in a big wedding, but I have a large family, her family's a decent size, and we have a lot of good family and friends, who have been waiting for the day that both of us get married (individually and collectively). So on one hand I feel the pressure to have a large reception, on the other I want to keep it small and intimate, and save that money for more tangible stuff.

I'm don't really care about the glitz and glam, I'll hire a good friend of mines who is a DJ and let him go to work. It's the price per head for a reception that's killing me 300 people at $25 is $7500!!!!. And my good friend who roomed with me while he saved for his wedding (just got married 3/15) pretty much told me that wedding expenses are counted in multiples of 1,000s LOL. So everything we consider, add another 1,000 to your bill. Extreme yes but not too far off.

I'd appreciate hearing the extremes as well, but then some more sensible stories as well.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:44 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,570 times
I did see this MTV special one day, and they had a profile of like 4 weddings. There was one NJ couple who spent close to $40k on their wedding. They were middle class, probably late 20s. He was a hothead and she had all of this plastic surgery that made her look like that muppet lady that was in the band. They went all out- the limos, her dress, the bridal party, lobster and shrimp menu, and a huge invitation list.

Of course, MTV's following them around the whole time. I guess the groom was too stupid or did not care enough to make sure the complaining he was doing about the lack of funds included in the cards of the guests did not make the final cut. That's not why you invite a lot of people. It's not to make a ROI. Well in the end I think they got about 11k in total money, which was a far cry from what they spent. I bet if you did a follow up on that couple, they probably didn't make the year mark.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:50 PM

You know, a good friend of mine remarried a couple of years ago. She held it in somebody's back yard, only had her sister as a bridesmaid, and it was the most beautiful (and fun) wedding we had been to in a long time. She said her entire budget was only $3,000 for 100 guests.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:04 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

My point is, EVEN IF you donate to other worthwhile projects, 60K is a lot of money. It could have done SO MUCH GOOD in this world, even saved a few lives.

I could just never in good conscience spend that kind of money on my own pleasure for a one day event, sorry.

1K is a lot of money in my book. What's the difference between choosing to frivolously spend 60K on a wedding as opposed to 1K? Based on your theory, shouldn't we all forgo wedding receptions and just donate our money? Doesn't every little bit help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings