Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:14 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,273,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
It's protocol, not inviting the boss indicates you don't think much of that person. Tell me, you are the boss, your subordinate is getting married and doesn't invite you - what does that say? Hey JordanJP, you may sign my paycheck, you may give me a raise/bonus, but I don't think much of you as a person. See how far you get at work. You can do stellar work and guess what, this comes into play and instead of a 10% raise, you get a 7% raise, while your cubicle mate gets 8%. And this is one of the things they don't teach you at school, but is taught at the school of "hard knocks".

I agree.

And 75 guests is that fair-to-middlin' number where it's not "small and intimate."

I invited my then-boss as well as the immediate staff where I worked, and I had only been there for three years at the time. They all had a good time, and he was the last one off the dance floor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 11:36 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,242,232 times
I wouldn't invite him just because he's your boss, but if you work closely with him and you're inviting other co-workers who you work closely with, by all means invite him.

I used to run a small company of about 70 employees. Some of them I "worked with" and others I seldom saw. I was usually invited to the weddings of the former type (and attended) but not the latter, and that's exactly what I'd have expected. Even if invited, I wouldn't have attended the weddings of those whom I saw rarely and would have considered the invitation as "Notice: I'm getting married. A gift or bonus would be appreciated."

As a side note, I remember when I got married the first time my boss gave me a 10-15% raise because "as a married person you'll need that." That was 45 years ago. I doubt it would fly these days -- discrimination.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:47 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,628,860 times
Unless you don't get along with your boss (which apparently is not the case) then I would definitely invite him or her. I went to a coworker's wedding who'd invited his boss, his boss's boss, and many of his coworkers. We all had a great time and he also hadn't worked in that group for a very long period of time, he was just a young guy. I think it is also a good way to develop a friendship with a boss and I see nothing wrong with that at all.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:00 PM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times
If you enjoy their company and would like to see them there, sure, invite them!

Old 05-10-2010, 09:02 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,254,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
hello :-)
i'm an IT professional, 29, and about to be married...
i wanted to know if it's appropriate to invite a couple of collegues....including the boss (ie. CEO of small company) to the reception/wedding.
i haven't been at the company for long (about a year) but get along well with them (although always professional as far as our relationship).

the wedding is local. about 75 people total. mostly family and friends of family but a pretty diverse group.

please let me know what you think.
You could invite them but most bosses politely decline the offer. The problem is when alcohol is involved at the reception and people have a few too many. Sometimes things get said with the help of some alcohol courage and maybe even a fight. It just seems unless the person is very close to their boss they usually will not go and avoid the possibility of a confrontation.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:05 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,388,478 times
Quote:
i wanted to know if it's appropriate to invite a couple of collegues....including the boss (ie. CEO of small company) to the reception/wedding.
i haven't been at the company for long (about a year) but get along well with them (although always professional as far as our relationship).

the wedding is local. about 75 people total. mostly family and friends of family but a pretty diverse group.

I think it's appropriate to invite your boss to the wedding.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:09 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,593,286 times
Quote:

Based on what you've said, I don't see anything wrong with inviting the boss. If he/she doesn't feel comfortable, they'll decline the invite.

And congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Old 05-10-2010, 09:11 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,593,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
You could invite them but most bosses politely decline the offer. The problem is when alcohol is involved at the reception and people have a few too many. Sometimes things get said with the help of some alcohol courage and maybe even a fight. It just seems unless the person is very close to their boss they usually will not go and avoid the possibility of a confrontation.
If you get along well with the boss, the likelihood of a confrontation is extremely slim

Plus, not everyone stays at a reception late enough to witness the drunkenness (or don't drink at all, to begin with).

Old 05-10-2010, 09:17 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,254,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post
If you get along well with the boss, the likelihood of a confrontation is extremely slim

Plus, not everyone stays at a reception late enough to witness the drunkenness (or don't drink at all, to begin with).
I even witnessed an employee kiss his boss's wife while dancing with her and fell down on the dance floor on their bums! Pepper spray was deployed that night!LOL........

Old 05-10-2010, 11:06 PM

483 posts, read 556,035 times
Quote:

Invite the boss. But don't show up yourself... NEVER get married. Did you even bother to google marriage..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings