Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:14 PM

368 posts, read 929,586 times

Advertisements

My son will be starting kindergarten next year which is when our lease in Wellington is up, and DH and I have started thinking about whether we stay here or move back up north (not fully north but perhaps NC). We do love the weather here, but I have to say that we're still flummoxed by many of the people down here...

A case in point today. My husband had a blowout on 441 this morning, immediately slowed his speed to 15 mph, put on his hazards, and drove half in/half out of the bike lane so everyone would know he was in trouble. He even pulled over on the grass completely when he saw a big wall of traffic coming. He told me that on 9 separate occasions before he got to a tire place, people drove up right on him and only then changed lanes. He said that it wasn't because of heavy traffic. The lanes were clear next to him and yet people chose to speed right up to him, until they hugged his bumper, and then switched lanes. He said that more often than not, Florida drivers just can't assess what's in front of them. I suggested that it's because everyone seems distracted when driving here - even the cops are on the phone, in addition to bicyclists and motorcyclists. I saw a bicyclist smoking and taking on his cell phone one time, and a guy on a harley on 95 looking DOWN at his iPhone! Anyway, my husband also had to wait 3 hours for a tire replacement and alignment when he said that it should've only taken 30-45 minutes tops. He said that they just couldn't be bothered to do it faster. An elderly gentleman in the same boat who had been promised a quick turnaround on his tires due to a doctor's appt was also left waiting for hours.

Teenagers in my neighborhood stand in the middle of the street and look at me as if I'm crazy as my car approaches, and I have to come to a full stop because they meander to the sidewalk. The same teens veer out with their bikes and skateboards from the sidewalk into traffic without looking and when you slam on the brakes, they are in no hurry to jump out of your way. They never have that look, "Omg, I could've been killed!" that I saw in NY all the time when pedestrians had close calls. I've gone into restaurants where you stand there waiting and the hostess is chatting away with her friends sees you and ignores you for 10 minutes. I've struggled with a baby stroller and everyone watches idly as I try to coordinate holding open the door and pushing the stroller out. I hold the door open for a family of 5 and nary a one says thank-you. Many a time, I'm coming down 441 in the right lane, and someone swings out in front of me at at the last minute, making me slam on my brakes, and they don't blink an eye. I saw a publix worker almost run over in the parking lot because someone in their SUV just pulled out in reverse without checking. The publix worker literally jumped out of the way and when the driver saw us staring at him, he just looked away and went on his merry way. I would've at least rolled down my window with a profuse apology and I would've felt awful for not looking.

I'm certainly not saying that people in Northern NJ (where I used to live) are saints, not at all, but as a whole, things moved faster up there and people just seemed more AWARE. The two ironies about Florida that surprise me are 1) people seem much more tolerant of interracial marriage/families down here and 2) customer service at places like DMV, Post Office, etc., are MILES above what we experienced in NJ. Those are the friendly folks!!! So that, in addition to the lower cost of living, are major pluses.

I'm not trying to generalize nor do I want to sound more annoyed than we really are by all this (even though this has turned into a rant ), but I worry somewhat about my kids developing this distracted, couldn't-care-less air that many people, especially the young people, seem to have down here in South Florida. This is just my perception, mind you, so perhaps YMMV if you've moved down here from up North, but it honestly makes us pause when we consider buying down here and setting up long-term plans to be here. We are *not* eager to go back up to the ice and perpetual winters, but I admit, we're not "getting" living here yet, primarily because of the people/driving. I'm sure some on this board will tell us that we need to relax already (we'll have been here 4 years in July), but 35 years in the hustle and bustle of northern living, relaxing is hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 03:23 PM

232 posts, read 774,105 times
Below are the best/drivers by state if you care to look. North Carolina is 20th best but ironically south carolina is 40th. I agree that drivers down here can be horrible and obnoxious. I am always perplexed when people don't even slow down when there are emergency vehicles about to turn in the lane.

Where the Worst Drivers Live- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

Old 05-10-2011, 03:40 PM

63 posts, read 156,172 times
Having moved here from MA where the bad driving is notorious, I must say that I have never seen worse driving than in this state.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:43 PM

239 posts, read 474,489 times
No way. hANDS down, Ny and Nyc win that award.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:47 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,395,447 times
Ra even I have to disagree with you on that one..LMAO My dh commutes to miami and let me tell you he would take driving in Manhattan, bronx queens anywhere in NY or NJ for that matter over driving in Florida..lol

With that being said the grass isnt greener on the other side...Maybe you are just in the wrong neighborhood and area...I wont address one other part you mentioned as I dont want it to come off the wrong way but I lived in NC for 2 years and my best friend is stuck there for who know how much longer and well she could give u an ear full and she is in a Middle Upper Class Area as was I...You wont see anything different anywhere else you go than you will here...Good Luck whatever you decide..

Old 05-11-2011, 08:14 AM

23 posts, read 56,694 times
We haven't moved down there yet, but I wanted to throw in that the attitude you notice in the teenagers down there is likely just the attitude of teenagers in this day and age. There seems to be a lot more entitlement-itis among teenagers, and I'm not sure if that's attributable to Hollywood, MTV, technology, or what. I'm hoping (as the mom of an almost 2 year-old) that it's something that needs to be (and maybe isn't being) addressed at home for most of these kids. I live in NC, BTW, and I will agree with pps who said the grass isn't always greener. I'm in a fairly small town, so the rudeness thing we don't see very much, but in the larger towns there's still quite a bit of self-centeredness that makes people just not SEE those around them.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:21 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,395,447 times
Razz I have a teenager and my son will never act or conduct himself that way and none of his friends do either..We would never Tolorate it...and I agree with amy its all about the Home..Just keep that in mind..and yes teens certainly are different now than when I was a teen..

Old 05-11-2011, 09:46 AM

467 posts, read 1,489,949 times
Well I can certainly agree with you on the driving issues...I have noticed so many really lousy drivers
here, having lived in N.J., N.Y, and Pa. before coming to Fl...it's the blatent disregard of laws too that
upsets me..They never turn their headlights on when it rains..No one bothers to use signals when they
turn. they don't pull into the next lane when they see someone up ahead pulled over or an emergency
vehicle. No one bothers to do the speed limit either..and 95 in South Palm Beach county, Broward and
Dade is a death trap...they drive on this like the Daytona 500 speedway. It takes a lot to get used too that's for sure. but there are pluses to living here..I'm sorry that you had such a bad time of it. .As far
as the teenager issue, they are like that unfortunately all over. No one bothers to teach them respect
it seems for anyone, whether it be their parents, teachers, neighbors, even themselves....i.e. texting
pictures of themselves for everyone to see....Anyway, good luck wherever you settle.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:30 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,635,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delray Patty View Post
Well I can certainly agree with you on the driving issues...I have noticed so many really lousy drivers
here, having lived in N.J., N.Y, and Pa. before coming to Fl...it's the blatent disregard of laws too that
upsets me..They never turn their headlights on when it rains..No one bothers to use signals when they
turn. they don't pull into the next lane when they see someone up ahead pulled over or an emergency
vehicle. No one bothers to do the speed limit either..and 95 in South Palm Beach county, Broward and
Dade is a death trap...they drive on this like the Daytona 500 speedway. It takes a lot to get used too that's for sure. but there are pluses to living here..I'm sorry that you had such a bad time of it. .As far
as the teenager issue, they are like that unfortunately all over. No one bothers to teach them respect
it seems for anyone, whether it be their parents, teachers, neighbors, even themselves....i.e. texting
pictures of themselves for everyone to see....Anyway, good luck wherever you settle.
Welcome to Florida, the throwaway state! For a lot of people this is their playground, not their home and consequently they couldn't care less about what, how, where, when and why...
OD

Old 05-12-2011, 03:02 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,832,788 times
I am from up north living in Boca now. If I had my choice I would move back up north. I don't have kids but if I did I would feel that way even more. In FL I don't feel as safe,the people are not as friendly,it costs more to live.
If a person needs to work and has a job in their current location I don't think it is wise to move till you have a job in the new state. I feel that about moving to and from anywhere. No place is going to be pleasant if you can't make ends meet.
Like I said I don't have kids but if I did a bigger concern I would feel is the safety and education aspect. Some of the children I think pattern after their parents because I see a lot of what you are stating with adults here.
Good luck in what you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach