Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 09:53 AM

95 posts, read 210,248 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have been thinking about moving back to the Gold/Treasure coast. I lived in Gardens when I was younger. Its been about 15yrs since I lived there. I now live in San Antonio, TX with my wife and 9yr old son. We are both employed; She is an assistant manager for an apartment complex. I am a facility response tech at a data center here in town.

I guess my question is... Is it wise to relocate from TX to FL? I know the cost of living is a little higher but, whats the work force like there? Whats in demand? How are the home prices right now? Whats a good area to think about for a young couple with a child to move to?

Any other info would also be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 02:48 PM

522 posts, read 1,610,024 times
Don't know what the price of homes are in San Antonio but the housing market here has dropped considerably so it is a buyer's market. As far as jobs go, Florida is bad, especially in your wife's career field. People can not only only not afford to buy they can't afford to move period so even rentals are a challenge. Without knowing what things are truly like in San Antonio I cannot adequately advise you only to tell you what I have. Good luck!

Old 07-22-2009, 03:34 PM

162 posts, read 679,383 times
My advice is to stay in San Antonio until the economy improves unless you really want to get out of Texas. Jobs are scarce right now in PBC, and home prices will likely fall a bit further.

You should come back for a visit. Things in Gardens have changed considerably since you left, especially along PGA Boulevard.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:54 PM
m5*

166 posts, read 659,573 times
Come if you can secure a job. That's the only hard part.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:00 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,825,049 times
I would think especially since you have a family too that having a job in place or a transfer in FL needs to be first. It would be different if you had no job there but like everyone else said the job market is bad and everywhere. I know 3 people who lost there job in TX. Two had to move out of state but to places like Wisconsin because job was #1.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:42 PM

693 posts, read 2,176,083 times
I think you have to compare the job markets , as things are tough all over. FL job market may be bad, but I'm thinking of coming back because at least there are 6 help wanted ads in my field in the SunSentinel, while there are NONE in the Charlotte Observer .

Old 07-24-2009, 01:46 PM

90 posts, read 226,463 times
Dude, Texas has the better job market, lower cost of living, and better schools. Florida has better weather in my opinion, but I really think I'd stay in Texas if I were you.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:43 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,468,502 times
jonthegiant>

If you and your wife have good jobs already, stay put! Unless you secure an offer down here before moving, do not even think about it.

Palm Beach Gardens is a beautiful area. I remember it 15 years ago too and boy has it changed. I mean some things still look the same, but it is really built up now along PGA Blvd as the other poster mentioned. There is a downtown Gardens now just off of PGA and Alt A1A. They re-constructed the PGA/Alt A1A intersection about 5-10 years ago and made it an overpass with PGA Blvd going overtop Alt A1A with exits. You used to have to wait at the railroad tracks, but not any longer. The population is about double now what it was in the area. Also, the community called Abacoa is just to the north of Gardens and is home to thousands of residents. Abacoa didn't exist 15 years ago. The eastern part of Palm Beach Gardens hasn't changed at all though. The US1 corridor still looks the same pretty much. The Jacobsen's department store went out of business at some point. Panama Hatties is still there along the intracoastal. When I get older and have a family, I would love to settle down in Palm Beach Gardens.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:26 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,938,381 times
I agree with the previous poster about securing an offer before you move back. The salary here in Fla is probably considerably less than what you are making. But what I've been saying lately is, in this economy, if you have a 'good thing', stay where you are until at least next year. I certainly don't know your specific situation but your job search may turn out to be an exhausting process even if you can get an interview. A colleague of mine had just completed several interviews and 3 different companies. She said at one company, they told her that they are speeding through the interviews because they have so many to go through. The good part is you'll find out if you get the job or not quicker but the bad news is you are competing with 2-3x the typical number of applicants.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:47 PM

593 posts, read 1,915,783 times
i don't know how it is everywhere and how beachy you are, but in the last 15 years beach quality has gone way downhill in south fl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach