Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 08:00 PM

143 posts, read 471,668 times

Advertisements

That was a croc yesterday in Miami that I saw on the news 10-12 footer...
And I live in Boca...off St Andrews and in 8 years I've seen plenty of snakes in my yard...last week a pretty 2 1/2 foot green and orange on by my pool....plenty of garden snakes...racers, and my neighbor had a coral snake....I hate snakes...last summer I had a nest in the pool skimmer....I've tried the snake away...it's a waste of money...now I feed the ferel neighborhood cats....lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 13,385 times
Hey MartyXB. You're going to see snakes here. Most of them are harmless enough and actually help to rid your garden of nasties like rats and mice. Learn to identify them and just leave them be; they're saving you some pest control money! If you see a venomous snake, call local animal control if you feel threatened. All in all, snakes aren't a big deal.

Exotic snakes, however, are becoming a problem in south Florida. Burmese pythons are posed to take over the Everglades, and as their population increases (and their prey becomes more scarce), they're moving through the maze of drainage canals and into suburbia.

I know this reads like an urban legend, but it is harsh truth; our climate and environment is perfect for this species to thrive and grow to incredible sizes. A quick Google search will confirm this.

Precautions to take are all common sense; don't leave your child or your dog unattended in the back yard, especially if you live near any type of water source.

Other nasty critters: rats. They like attics, especially after hurricanes. APPLE SNAILS. This invasive species can destroy your garden. They get huge. Huge! I regularly pick up fist-sized shells by the lake behind my house. The wading birds like to eat them, I think.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,118,685 times
99% that you'll never ever see a snake anywhere here. Or rats or snails.
Snakes don't make nests in swimming pool skimmers, there's no such thing as garden snakes and there are no snakes that are green and orange crawling around the neighborhoods....closest thing to that are the pencil-thin ribbon snakes that are so innocent and scared and they stay near water, mostly at roadside ditches.
Imaginations run wild when people talk about snakes and critters, Lol!
But you do have to be careful of the alligators!

Last edited by rainroosty; 07-27-2012 at 09:34 AM..

Old 07-27-2012, 03:53 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,734 times
The Crocodile in Miami was a rare site, they are endangered and protected. I never seen one out of captivity, seen a number of Alligators, just drive out on Southern past 441 and gaze in the C-51 Canal, you will see plenty.

Judging by the bars on the windows of the one house, the Crocodile was the least of anyones concern.

After while crocodile! Croc removed from Miami neighborhood | todaysthv.com

Old 07-27-2012, 05:05 PM

143 posts, read 471,668 times
Yea, I must have some imagination....

Old 07-30-2012, 07:20 AM

3 posts, read 5,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
The Crocodile in Miami was a rare site, they are endangered and protected. I never seen one out of captivity, seen a number of Alligators, just drive out on Southern past 441 and gaze in the C-51 Canal, you will see plenty.

Judging by the bars on the windows of the one house, the Crocodile was the least of anyones concern.

After while crocodile! Croc removed from Miami neighborhood | todaysthv.com
Wow, I will have to keep this video away from my wife. When I came down south to check out places we saw a Geco On the wall and my wife ran out screaming!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:41 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyXB View Post
Wow, I will have to keep this video away from my wife. When I came down south to check out places we saw a Geco On the wall and my wife ran out screaming!
Lizards will be hard to keep out of the house, they get in my garage all the time, occasionally in the house, I just capture them and put them back outside. All are harmless and free pest control, however the droppings are often the biggest headache and with all lizards you have to worry about salmonella poisoning. Most prevalent with Iguanas and their droppings, are the worst.

FLMNH - Checklist of Florida Lizards

Old 08-05-2012, 04:29 PM

22 posts, read 71,827 times
I've been here one year and the only time I saw an alligator I was canoeing on the Loxahatchee and saw it sunning itself on a bank. I spend a lot of time outdoors and I did see a tiny rattlesnake a few weeks ago while walking along a canal. The wildlife here is really rich and diverse and must be respected, i.e., do not swim in the canals. I love the ocean and actually worry more about sharks than about alligators, but I haven't seen one of those yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach