Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 01:27 PM

7 posts, read 13,863 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're moving from new York to florida and thinking about different places to live. Would appreciateany local input, especially from other young folks/families who have moved from large cities down to Florida...

Context: I will be working in boca raton. Willing to commute up to 50 mins each way, though obviously the shorter the better. My wife and I are in our mid thirties and have a baby and a dog. We're looking for a place where ideally we can walk to stores, restaurants, bars etc and be reasonably close to the beach. Looking for a cool neighborhood which has a good mix of other young families or young professionals but isn't a total frat party on the weekends.

Looked at boca, delray and WPB as potential options, open to others though. Looking initially to rent (up to $3500/month) and eventually to buy once we figure out real estate in the area (around $1M). Prefer relatively smaller 3 to 4 bed place in a great location and in excellent condition vs a huge amount of space.

Would love to get thoughts on boca vs delray Vs WPB Vs Others?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 03:00 PM

623 posts, read 1,303,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasdygart1 View Post
Hi, we're moving from new York to florida and thinking about different places to live. Would appreciateany local input, especially from other young folks/families who have moved from large cities down to Florida...

Context: I will be working in boca raton. Willing to commute up to 50 mins each way, though obviously the shorter the better. My wife and I are in our mid thirties and have a baby and a dog. We're looking for a place where ideally we can walk to stores, restaurants, bars etc and be reasonably close to the beach. Looking for a cool neighborhood which has a good mix of other young families or young professionals but isn't a total frat party on the weekends.

Looked at boca, delray and WPB as potential options, open to others though. Looking initially to rent (up to $3500/month) and eventually to buy once we figure out real estate in the area (around $1M). Prefer relatively smaller 3 to 4 bed place in a great location and in excellent condition vs a huge amount of space.

Coming from NYC, (and imo) all three are great. Depends what you want. We need decent public schools (Boca) for elem thru HS - and to be close to thebeach.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,387,627 times
We too are from NYC dh worked on wall street for a lot of years been down here almost 3 years and love it...We chose Boca because of the schools..Our son is a Junior in HS and very pleased with the education and our daughter is in Middle School and is thriving so for our family this was a great move...

Good Luck

Old 03-04-2012, 10:35 AM

Thanks! We hear that boca has an older more retired feel to it, is that true? We're looking for somewhere which is ideally a historic neighborhood with cool restaurants, stores, bars etc. We hear parts of delray and WPB are like this? Is this true? If so where is good?

Would love to get any thoughts!

Old 03-04-2012, 12:25 PM

623 posts, read 1,303,651 times
Boca for schools, beaches, shopping, dining, tons tons tons of stuff for kids to do. I 've never seen more of a kid agenda. Plus, I am crazy about the manicured 'look' of BR.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:23 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,401,056 times
The Lake Ida area in Delray would be a close fit for what you are looking for. Its very close to the Atlantic Ave strip of restaurants/shops, and has some homes that have more of a historic (at least South FL historic) feel.
What are some of your other interests? Ie would you like to be on the water, are you interested in country clubs, etc
Also are schools important or are you planning/able to move in a few years when you are ready for schooling.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:44 PM

Boca is not all old...and in your price range you will find people 30's 40's and 50's and maybe a little older but there are a ton of kids in Boca as our schools prove it and that is only the Public ones not even the Private Schools...I wouldn't worry about it....

Old 03-04-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasdygart1 View Post

Lake Ida areas sounds interesting...our main priority is a place which is a real 'neighborhood', in particular where we can walk to a few nearby places such as restaurants, shops, bars etc . Also if it has a historic feel with older houses that would be great.

At this stage, schools are probably less important to us as we figure we may end up moving in a few years.

Being on the water is not really an issue for us but it would be great if the beach is reasonably close (e.g, within a couple of miles bike ride)

Other places we had heard about were El Cid and Old Northwood in WPB? Not sure what these are like or if the commute from WPB to Boca would be crazy?

Thanks for all the help!!

Old 03-04-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Boca is not all old...and in your price range you will find people 30's 40's and 50's and maybe a little older but there are a ton of kids in Boca as our schools prove it and that is only the Public ones not even the Private Schools...I wouldn't worry about it....
Great thanks! Do you recommend any particular neighborhoods in Boca? Especially ones which are really walkable to restaurants, shops, bars, coffee shops etc?

Thanks!

Old 03-04-2012, 05:56 PM

yes Royal Palm Yaht Club very nice homes, in your price range near the water and walking distance to Publix, The Fresh Market and Mizner Park...Plus there are restaurants and other things in that area...Our friends live in this community a lot small kids and Professional Families...you can take a look at bocaexecutiverealty.com...I hope I can post that if not Mods please remove....

I hope this helps...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach