Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 06:39 PM

11 posts, read 23,954 times

Advertisements

We just moved to PBG from Missouri, we have also lived in California and North Carolina. We recently had our car insurance moved to FL with the same company we used in the previous states. I was SHOCKED that the rate was twice what it was before. By far the most expensive we've had. It seems the culprit is the charge for Liability insurance. It went from $133 per car to over $500 per car! Is this typical? I searched online and found a recent study that showed rates in Florida to be less than those in Missouri. Did our insurance company make a mistake (I've got an email into our agent). I feel like I might pass out from sticker shock!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 07:41 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,897,929 times
Florida, especially South Florida has some of the hightest rates in the U.S. I don't know what survey you were looking at. Florida ranks among the 10 most expensive states for car insuranc | www.palmbeachpost.com

Old 09-26-2013, 07:51 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,597,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krun View Post
We just moved to PBG from Missouri, we have also lived in California and North Carolina. We recently had our car insurance moved to FL with the same company we used in the previous states. I was SHOCKED that the rate was twice what it was before. By far the most expensive we've had. It seems the culprit is the charge for Liability insurance. It went from $133 per car to over $500 per car! Is this typical? I searched online and found a recent study that showed rates in Florida to be less than those in Missouri. Did our insurance company make a mistake (I've got an email into our agent). I feel like I might pass out from sticker shock!
Car insurance is high here, because of many factors one being 1 out of 4 people on the road are not insured, along with fraud being high here and car thefts. Many do not realize and think Florida has a low COL, no State Income Tax and then move here and get a wake up call...

Florida ranks No. 4 in car insurance costs, survey shows

Old 09-26-2013, 08:35 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,387,627 times
Quote:
We lived in NJ and our inurance in boca was higher...we paid 2 cars full coverage 525 a month 6 month policy...

we pay here in NC for 3 cars 3 drivers 290 a month

Old 09-27-2013, 05:15 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,219,310 times
Had the same sticker shock when we moved our vehicle insurance from NY to Florida...more than doubled...partly do to my stepson...under 25...still in school...and keeps vehicle with him in Virginia...

Welcome to the Sunshine State....

Old 09-27-2013, 05:48 AM

I was looking at this site which I also saw quoted on other national news sites: The most and least expensive states for car insurance in 2013 | Insure.com

It has Florida ranked as #34 in order of most expensive states. I didn't move here because I thought the cost of living was low and I don't find that kind of snobby attitude to be helpful. I hesitate to even use this forum due to the constant negative replies. We moved here for my husband's job and are trying to make the most of it. We have found people down here to be nice (despite what others have said on this forum) and love all of the different activities there are for children in the Gardens. True, I was surprised about the cost of our car insurance, but that doesn't mean I regret moving here.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:09 AM

536 posts, read 845,540 times
Hi, krun, Welcome to the area.

I have lived in S. Florida (Boca Raton) since 1985 and the increases in insurance of all kinds have been horrific. Car insurance was not as high relative to other states when I first moved down here.

Windstorm for obvious reasons has also gone way up. I'm not so sure why car insurance rates are so high for safe drivers.

Gas tends to be higher here, too, and food (at least compared with New England, where my family lives). I suppose many items have to be shipped far south from where they originate.

But property is still relatively affordable, certainly compared with the Northeast, and property taxes, too. I am thinking about how to move back to Mass or Maine, and it's like playing three-dimensional chess. The COL has so many different factors. Heating in New England; insurance in Florida. (Electricity is far more affordable in FL than in other places I have lived.)

Anyhow, you're right: every state has its bargains and its 'what the heck'? weird expenses.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:26 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
$500 PER CAR?

Impossible! Unless you're driving a supercar and have a million in coverage or something. Was it $500 per pay period, per car?

I have a downtown zip code, 100/300 coverage on two newer cars with Travelers... my rate is $140/car, which has gone up the past couple years for no apparent reason.

Shop around. Go to an agent that can shop multiple insurers for the best rates.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:33 AM

It's not $500 per car per month, that's the yearly rate for the liability insurance portion. The total rate is about $1400 per year per car and we used to pay that for both cars per year in Missouri. My mom pays $800 a year for 2 cars in NC.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:40 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,387,627 times
Quote:
I was looking at this site which I also saw quoted on other national news sites: The most and least expensive states for car insurance in 2013 | Insure.com

It has Florida ranked as #34 in order of most expensive states. I didn't move here because I thought the cost of living was low and I don't find that kind of snobby attitude to be helpful. I hesitate to even use this forum due to the constant negative replies. We moved here for my husband's job and are trying to make the most of it. We have found people down here to be nice (despite what others have said on this forum) and love all of the different activities there are for children in the Gardens. True, I was surprised about the cost of our car insurance, but that doesn't mean I regret moving here.
Just curious as I havent seen any negatives post in your thread...Florida has alot of good and bad and we loved it there, however rethinking if we want to return but for our own reasons cost of living being one of them...but who knows where life will take us....Anyhow no one is saying you should have regrets moving there so im sorry but I just don't get it...

Enjoy your life in South Florida just be prepared to pay alot that is all that doesnt make it a BAD PLACE..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach