Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 10:04 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
It's a violation of federal law to require employees to pay for bills run out on or register shortages. The Dept of Labor would like to hear from the waitress.
As if South Florida businesses or politicians follow rules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 10:10 AM

OP.. have you started applying for jobs, just to test the waters?

FYI - a few employers of mine immediately "filed" resumes from applicants who moved here without a job lined up.
They felt it showed a lack of responsibility.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:38 PM

7 posts, read 9,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
OP.. have you started applying for jobs, just to test the waters?

FYI - a few employers of mine immediately "filed" resumes from applicants who moved here without a job lined up.
They felt it showed a lack of responsibility.
I've been networking on LinkedIn for the past three months, contacting people in the industry in which I work now to let them know I'll be relocating, and to keep me in mind should anything open up - but that I will also reach back out as the date gets closer.

I appreciate all the advice to stay put, but that's simply not an option. I've been living with family and while they're happy for the new addition - they're not open arms to having myself, AND a baby residing with them - rightfully so. My best option for help and support with the baby is where the father is and that's in Boca, he right now does not drive, which is why Boca is where I need to be - he needs to be able to get to me via public transportation within a hour or so, so I'm not carting my son around daily for visits, etc. I am looking outside of Boca, but not within more than maybe 15 miles in radius.

I also have no intentions of telling any employers that I just had a baby, I'm not legally obligated to - and I wouldn't dream of shooting myself in the foot - legally they can't not hire me because of it, but they'll find 'something else' as to why I wasn't a 'good candidate.' When I get there I'll take whatever job I can find to hold me over until I can find something within my field. I am also very aware that salaries range from area to area. Also, my unemployment would come from Maryland, because that's where my employment has been - not Florida.

Again, I do appreciate all of the responses.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey0508 View Post
But, I also will be leaving this job a few days before my move... so, there's also that.
Are you expecting to quit your job, move out of state, and get unemployment?

Do you understand you'll need at least $20K to get settled and tide you over until you get a job? (IF you only go (2) months without work)

What about health insurance for yourself and your baby?
Are you planning on the state picking up the tab for that too?

Last edited by cfbs2691; 01-23-2015 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-23-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey0508 View Post
I looked into Childcare assistance through the state, the maximum you can make is $23k a year for a TWO person household... that's less than $6 per hour full time... who the hell? Gah... the system doesn't want to help those who want to succeed I'm convinced.
This is really upsetting to me.
Why do you think "the system" aka the tax paying people of Florida, owe you anything when you arrive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach