Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 04:56 PM

14 posts, read 157,191 times

Advertisements

Gail, I so appreciate your response....your feedback about climate, bugs and hurricanes is comforting to me. I am glad that after a decade plus of living in Jupiter you still feel the pros outweigh the cons. Another quick question about a general Florida myth that I continually find in similar forums: do you find the overall vibe to be friendly, a sense of community---not entirely tourist-overrun?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 05:36 PM

74 posts, read 180,587 times
Default Hi Mineminee

Thanks again I know you asked someone else, but wanted to add I think wherever we end up will be a little bit touristy due to the very reasons we want to move there. I am excited too. Just wish I was younger and had more money lol I wonder how many ppl want the same.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:14 PM

96 posts, read 188,350 times
Mineminee, depends on where you go in South Florida. Jupiter is not at all touristy. Not many hotels or resorts. We do have our fair share of part time residents (snowbirds). Doesn't seem to effect the overall community vibe. After all, they are residents, just part time, and do care about the town.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:26 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,791,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Watch View Post
I can speak for the people.
Fairly laid-back and open, but not exactly the most progressive types. A lot of NY transplants, so you get your share of registered Democrats and all but the mentality is more of a moderate to slightly right of center, semi-traditional perspective of life, same story with Boca Raton but a tad bit more laid-back.
Friendliest folk I've experienced in the county were in the more rural communities like The Acreage and Loxahatchee Groves but aside from the nudist camp, vast majority of locales there are quite traditional and socially conservative in all aspects.
I, for one, am a right-leaning libertarian so I'd blend in.
You should look into eastern Boca Raton, there is a hip and progressive subculture in there (think Whole Foods and trendy coffee shops) but nothing like the Pacific Northwest. Lake Worth has a similar vibe in downtown portions but the crime rate is unsettling, I won't go as far as to deem it 'family-friendly' by any stretch of the imagination. Steer clear of West Boca Raton
Pacific Northwest is the same way as anyplace. Outside Portland its as conservative as anywhere else its just the city makes up half up the population of the state so its different and more apparent.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:05 AM

25 posts, read 62,411 times
I moved from a seashore town in NJ to West Palm Beach back in June. I decided to rent for a year so that I could take my time in finding a town to purchase in. I don't have school age children anymore, or I would not have been able to plan this way. I really, really like Jupiter. It has a feel of my hometown back in NJ. I work down in Plantation (by Ft. Lauderdale), and my commute is about an hour from WPB, I don't want to add another 15-20 minutes to my commute.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:18 PM

11 posts, read 29,718 times
Hi Mineminee,

I hope you have been able to visit the area and found it to be what you are looking for. My husband and I relocated to Tequesta in 1999... 6 months pregnant, no jobs and no home... oh to be young again!! We stumbled upon Tequesta on one of our winter trips away from our hometown in the western suburbs of Chicago (born and raised until our move). It was hard to acclimate, but a lot has changed over the last 15 years ~ much younger vibe and so much growth in the area in terms of things to do, as well as in population. I find the year round residents to be friendly and welcoming AND the water is a stunning aqua blue when the tide in coming in ~ truly breath taking! I don't mind waiting at the draw bridge if I can stare at the beautiful water

Have you researched the school of choice program in Palm Beach County? It's worth looking into. Our boys have thrived in the schools here & the sports programs have been fantastic. The beaches are wonderful & the restaurants (out of season) are great. We are friends with a few pilot's in the area that fly out of Ft Lauderdale and one that I helped find a place in Stuart that flies out of Miami... and does not mind the commute ~ so I think Palm City, Stuart & Hobe Sound in Martin County (so, no school of choice, but great schools non the less), Tequesta, Jupiter & Palm Beach Gardens are worthy of looking into.

Best of luck to you and your family ~ I hope you find this area to be a great change and wonderful adventure!

Old 03-31-2015, 10:53 AM

14 posts, read 157,191 times
Thanks for your post, Teq3. It's comforting to hear that even after 15 years you still appreciate the beauty of the area. I was born and raised in Oak Lawn, IL.

Due to crazy life circumstances, I haven't made it out to Jupiter, Florida... However, I've talked to a lot of people who currently live there or know of it and love it. My husband was just awarded a Miami base, effective in May... We should be able to house hunt after that. Thanks for the reassurance! ��

Old 03-31-2015, 01:29 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,791,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineminee View Post
Thanks for your post, Teq3. It's comforting to hear that even after 15 years you still appreciate the beauty of the area. I was born and raised in Oak Lawn, IL.

Due to crazy life circumstances, I haven't made it out to Jupiter, Florida... However, I've talked to a lot of people who currently live there or know of it and love it. My husband was just awarded a Miami base, effective in May... We should be able to house hunt after that. Thanks for the reassurance! ��
Great News congrats !!!

Old 04-13-2015, 12:08 PM

That is fantastic news Minminee! Congratulations! Good luck with the move and a warm welcome to your new home state! If you have any other questions feel free to message me.

P.S. ~ we are from Naperville & worked in Oak Park Small world!

Last edited by teq3; 04-13-2015 at 12:48 PM..

Old 04-13-2015, 12:47 PM

We have two girls (one entering middle school, one entering high school next fall) but are considering homeschooling to allow us the flexibility of traveling a ton (back to that airline pilot gig). If we do go the public school route, are Jupiter schools as good as the reviews indicate? We are hoping to live in an area with tons of social and extracurricular options for the girls (choir, performing arts, volunteering, sports, etc.).

The In my opinion, the Jupiter Schools are great and as I mentioned earlier ~ check out the school of choice programs for Palm Beach schools. But, I also know plenty of people who home school and/ or have their kids in Florida Virtual & love that as well. So many options for what works best for your family.

As far as the performing arts ~ check out the Maltz Theater in Jupiter, Kravis Center in West Palm Beach and the Lyric theater in Stuart, FL. And for volunteering ~ there are plenty of opportunities for that... Loggerhead Marinelife in Juno Beach, Beach Clean up days ~ listed in the newspaper or Jupiter online, & animal rescues through out the area always need help. You will find all kinds of ways to volunteer once you get here and settle in. The community sports can be found at Welcome to JTAA & also listed are the travel teams if you like that option.

I'm wondering about some of the negatives that people associate with living in Florida (I'm guilty of having these thoughts myself)... is it unbearably hot/humid in the spring, summer and fall? (We plan to spend much of our summer in the Pacific NW). Are the bugs (fire ants, cockroaches, mosquitoes, etc.) horrible? Should the threat of hurricanes be a major deterrent?

Yes, the summers are VERY hot and humid, but if you will be in the Pacific NW during that time then it should not be of concern ~ nothing A/C and a pool or the ocean can't help for the days you are here As for the bugs ~ most people use bug companies to maintain their homes and that seems to keep the pesky ants and cockroaches away. Mosquitoes ~ well, yes, they can be nasty ~ we either are indoors at dusk or use bug spray. The hurricanes ~ well, just glad we get some warning to prepare and figure out what we want to do... leave or hunker down The hardest part is dealing with no power after the storm blows over, waiting in lines for gas if you need it. BUT, I would take a hurricane over a tornado ANY DAY!

Is the overall Jupiter vibe friendly, laid-back, family-oriented? Is there enough (culturally and socially) for the girls to choose from??

Yes & yes... I believe so... but, I don't think Jupiter holds a candle to the PNW culturally speaking & I've only been to Seattle once. However, there are plenty of places to take them to learn about Florida history and there is always Miami for some fun Also, the Keys ~ now that is a good time and VERY laid back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach