Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 07:51 PM

387 posts, read 516,095 times

Advertisements

The PODS idea sounds really smart. I would sell off everything I could and avoid a moving company if at all possible. The big companies mentioned would be the next best choice. Independent movers who advertise the world are the worst choice. A hertz truck rental one way is the way I did it years ago, had a friend help load and drive my car,paid him& bought him a plane ticket home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 08:12 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,663,609 times
Has anyone used Shleppers?

Old 06-05-2015, 01:41 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,848,892 times
There's also a place called Move America that you load the trailer and they drive it to your destination but you pay only for the amount of space you use in the trailer and it is then sealed. They have an online pricing system.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:09 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,220,070 times
Never thought of using a Pod, but one of my neighbors did it and they were able to have the Pod delivered to their residence and then picked up and stored until the closing of their new home went through.

They found three people to help them at the local gym. One was actually a mover doing side work on the weekend. The other two where of course capable of lifting the house, so furniture was not a problem. Reversed the unloading when they arrived and found others at the local gym.

It's amazing what people are willing to do for some extra cash in their pockets...

Old 06-29-2015, 06:56 PM

I finally settled on Al's MOving in White Plains--so far so good. They did a great job picking up my stuff on the NY end.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:46 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,770,613 times
Good luckl, dog. Our Pods are coming in two weeks.

What route are you taking down there? What route did you others take (if you drove?)

My Dad's fam is from White Plains! We are former refugees of Norwalk, CT.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:12 AM

What a great experience driving down from N.Y. in a Mini Cooper with 2 adults, two dogs and a car stuffed with what we thought we needed for three weeks before the moving truck arrived...hopefully never to be repeated!!!!

We drove straight down 95...started 11:30AM after the closing and arrived 26 hours later. Stopped along the way in several rest stops to catch some ZZZZ's, but that came to an abrupt halt when we awoke to the dogs growling at some perv that was looking through the rear hatchback window. So, I cannot recommend stopping in any rest area at night. Instead, find one of the many 24 hours restaurants, gas stations, hotel parking lot, etc... where it will be definitely safer.

I would also recommend downloading the cell phone app "WAZE" gives you up to date traffic info, radar traps, road hazards, gas stations, hotels, etc.... Give it a try, you can always delete it if you don't like it....

Old 07-02-2015, 06:02 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,770,613 times
Rusty, we're moving to the Farms, howdy neighbor!

Supposedly I 95 is to be avoided when you hit DC, was the traffic horrible?

Thanks for the Waze tip, I will have to check that out.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Rusty, we're moving to the Farms, howdy neighbor!

Supposedly I 95 is to be avoided when you hit DC, was the traffic horrible?

Thanks for the Waze tip, I will have to check that out.
Do use the WAZE App.....it's free and gives you tons of info...just the warning on where the Radar Traps are make it a must have app. If you car has Blue Tooth you can program the Waze into it, but my wife and I did not like it for it was always to loud when it cut in to announce something. The app does drain your cell phone battery, so make sure you keep the phone plugged in.

Two times coming down I hit the DC traffic on 95 and yes it DUCKS, once to take my car down with all the stuff the moving companies do not take and the second with the wife and dogs, all in a two week period. But, there is so much construction, or at least there was, that it does not really matter when you pass through DC unless it is 12AM thru 5AM apparently the best times. I would not be so fast to take any bypass routes, since DC does not have the best reputation. Just make sure you gas up when you start seeing the DC signs so you don't have to worry about stopping.

Welcome to Florida and if you need recommendations on restaurants, stores, etc...send me an e-mail and I'll ask my wife for she has a lot of info stored. Another app we use is Tripadvisor.com They also have a cell phone app and can make recommendations on hotels, restaurants, etc... But more than likely, if you are traveling with all that stuff the movers refuse to take, coupled with what you do not trust them to move for you, just plan on coming straight down and taking cat naps as you move down to your new home.

good luck with your move.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:49 PM

Hi, I just arrived yesterday. Drove down 95 all the way with 3 ill cats! And my car too, was totally stuffed with crap that I thought I would need and that I forgot to give the movers. If I opened a door, stuff would fall out. It was a trip moving 3 cats in and out of motels, and one of them has heart problems so it was particularly stressful. I hit a lot of DC traffic but after that, it was ok. Just incredibly boring. It took me 2 nights, 3 days. I don't have my stuff yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach