Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2006, 09:04 PM

8 posts, read 45,690 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some information on what Boynton Beach, FL is like in regards to employment opportunities, apartments, schools, etc. I am considering relocating to the area from Jacksonville, FL. I would like to relocate to Boca Raton, FL however, the cost of living seems a bit steep even though the area looks quite nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 09:38 PM

61 posts, read 208,493 times
Default Boynton

I gather you are college age?

You have FAU in Boca and also Lynn University. I do think around the college on Glades Road in Boca there are affordable rentals for college people. And Boca is a much younger area.I guess apartments would run $800 to 1200 a month.

Boynton can be upscale...not a lot of young people, as a matter of fact more grandparents than anything else. There are areas of Boynton which are decidedly not upscale and I think not particularly safe.

Job opportunities? More likely in the Boca area if you are looking for other than waiter/waitressing and working at the mall.

Local newspapers are the Palm Beach Post and the Sun Sentinel, both online. Why not look them up and see what kind of jobs they have listed?

Hope that helps

Old 12-09-2006, 09:45 PM

8 posts, read 45,690 times
Actually, I am in my mid 30's. My wife is looking to pursue her graduate degree at FAU in Boca Raton. We have small children and that is why I was asking about the schools. I had a hunch that at least part of Boynton Beach had an abundance of senior citizens.

Old 12-10-2006, 03:00 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,316,531 times
Probably the only advantage that Boynton Beach has over Boca Raton is that you will likely get more bang for your buck, as the saying goes, whether buying or renting.

There are so many online sources for rental rates that you can easily obtain a clear idea on your own. However, nothing beats coming to the area, staying several weeks (if you have a relative or friend who can host you for a while, that is a big advantage) and get to know it on the ground, neighborhood by neighborhood, even on foot, looking for "for rent by owner" opportunities if you want a better deal on a private dwelling: the professionally managed rental communities stiff you with all kinds of fees, though in exchange for ease and convenience, I suppose, but you may be in store for nasty surprises.

As mentioned, Boynton Beach has some funky neighborhoods so you have to get to know the area, again, neighborhood by neighborhood, while this is much less the case in Boca Raton.

Also true that some shopping is less expensive in Boynton than in Boca, but even the Boca Raton Town Center Mall has shops for all budgets, while the best fresh produce stand is in Delray Beach, halfway between the two.

Though the commute from Boynton to Boca is probably not that bad except for the peak of the rush hours, if you both have interests in Boca Raton you might consider the cost of gasoline in your calculations.

I imagine that the job market in Boynton Beach is nothing to get excited about, as mentioned, though it does put you about half way between Boca Raton and West Palm Beach. In either case, however, a good income in Florida depends on profession or sector and experience, but most of all good contacts, or owning a successful business.

As for schools, "public" and "good" are usually two adjectives that do not go together, whether in Florida or anywhere else in the US or the world for that matter (and some private schools leave a lot to be desired as well). Nonetheless, try this link - http://www.greatschools.net/ - and look up Boynton Beach and Boca Raton to compare. That should get you started.

In short, if acquiring more living space per dollar is the top priority, then it may be worthwhile to carefully choose a particular neighborhood in Boynton Beach. But calculate whether the difference is worth giving up what is probably a better quality of life in Boca Raton. Also include in the calculation where you'll be doing most of your driving: if you both have daily interests in Boca, gasoline costs could erode the difference in rental price.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach