Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 09:46 AM

207 posts, read 940,598 times

Advertisements

Is there a Law in NYC that says when you retire You Must move to Boca?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 03:16 PM

727 posts, read 1,838,053 times
Law must have been put in place yrs ago. Boca, all of S FL, Tampa, Orlando, now Jax. Where arent they?

Old 11-21-2008, 05:35 PM

148 posts, read 683,017 times
It's not so much the people from NYC that move to Boca -- it's the people from Long Island and New Jersey. People who were rich enough to actually live in Manhattan, will live in better areas (Palm Beach, Hobe Sound, Manalapan). You are probably seeing Boca people who say they are from NY -- that doesn't mean they actually lived in the city.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:55 PM

I dont see what the draw is honestly. You just get sick of the snow and want to move to the hottest place in the U.S.? You dont see us getting tired of the heat and moving up there to New York. Is it because they are just drawn to living amongst eachother?

Old 11-21-2008, 07:13 PM

148 posts, read 683,017 times
You are right, BornInFl -- I think many NY's want to be with each other - they grew up there, worked there, and are set in their ways...maybe it has to be with age, also. Maybe older folks are set in their ways. Remember, money does not buy class, good manners, or good taste. Maybe the OP has seen a lot of older Boca people (like the ones driving the wrong way down the street). THEY'RE BACK!!!

Old 11-22-2008, 07:06 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,151,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
I dont see what the draw is honestly. You just get sick of the snow and want to move to the hottest place in the U.S.? You dont see us getting tired of the heat and moving up there to New York. Is it because they are just drawn to living amongst eachother?
I think a lot of people who move to Florida move there because they vacationed there and liked it. Lots of New Yorkers and people from nearby areas vacation in Florida. Lots of people from the midwest vacation in Florida. That's how I ended up there. Before I was born, my folks, who were born and raised in Cleveland, used to vacation in Florida frequently--the initial impetus might have been that I had a great great aunt and a great great uncle living in Miami (the aunt and her husband ended up there because the uncle was living there, and my uncle was living there because he was a journalist who ended up working for the Miami Herald). So they visited Florida often (as did my maternal grandparents) and liked it a lot. When I was very young, I had asthma fairly bad, and a doctor suggested to my mom that my health would be better in a warmer climate, "like Florida or Arizona". That was all the excuse she needed, and we were living there within a year (and my asthma did get better, remarkably enough, and even completely disappeared by the time I was about 14--whether that was purely a coincidence is hard to say).

Old 11-22-2008, 07:53 AM

"Remember, money does not buy class, good manners,"

You are right about that one, LOL! Nor does it buy friendliness or a desire to give up a little bit of that money to the areas schools! But they want all the other conveniences and want everything to be just like NY.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:06 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,967,800 times
tampa is still mostly midwestern transients but the amount of nyers is steadily increasing as south florida is max'd out and becoming less attractive. when i lived in ft lauderdale nearly everyone was from NY and the others were spanish speaking 3rd world immigrants/illegals...anyhow im from ny, lol

Old 11-22-2008, 10:56 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,252,057 times
It seems like most of these Long Islanders feel superior to the natives as well for some reason, and aren't too friendly to boot. I'm happy I live in a section of Palm Beach County not conquered by them.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
tampa is still mostly midwestern transients but the amount of nyers is steadily increasing as south florida is max'd out and becoming less attractive. when i lived in ft lauderdale nearly everyone was from NY and the others were spanish speaking 3rd world immigrants/illegals...anyhow im from ny, lol
Orlando is the same way now. Although not that many illegals, but a lot of ppl from PR, DR, Miami... so much so that a billboard off of I-4 supporting the Olympics is not of the USA basketball team, but the Puerto Rican team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach