Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 09:50 AM

66 posts, read 238,301 times

Advertisements

We have finally moved into our house in Boynton Beach all the way from Los Angeles! Whew. What a trek and buying a house... wow! We love love love it here. It is so peaceful and the air is so nice and clean and the people? Wow. Nice folks.

So here is my naive bug question... I have been bitten by mosquitos at least once a day everyday. Is there a way to prevent this? Is there a great after bite treatment to stop the itch? Does everyone just crank up their a/c to keep the bugs out? I hate to run up the bill just for that. Or is there some spray that folks use monthly around their homes? Again, I'm not thrilled with the 'poison' aspect but I'd rather use some icky stuff than get bit every day or while I sleep.

We do have air on in the bedroom all night but these skeeters are persistent!

Let me just add... don't get me wrong... we love it here! But as a SoCal transplant I gotta ask about it in case there is something obvious that Floridians do and we just don't know what it is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 02:49 PM

475 posts, read 1,499,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimer99 View Post
We have finally moved into our house in Boynton Beach all the way from Los Angeles! Whew. What a trek and buying a house... wow! We love love love it here. It is so peaceful and the air is so nice and clean and the people? Wow. Nice folks.

So here is my naive bug question... I have been bitten by mosquitos at least once a day everyday. Is there a way to prevent this? Is there a great after bite treatment to stop the itch? Does everyone just crank up their a/c to keep the bugs out? I hate to run up the bill just for that. Or is there some spray that folks use monthly around their homes? Again, I'm not thrilled with the 'poison' aspect but I'd rather use some icky stuff than get bit every day or while I sleep.

Let me just add... don't get me wrong... we love it here! But as a SoCal transplant I gotta ask about it in case there is something obvious that Floridians do and we just don't know what it is!
Some areas are worse than others due to their location. Some people have had their patios screened in to keep the Mosquitos out. There is also a little guy called a "No See Um"

You can also put out some "Citronella" candles or torches in your yard.

Check your yard for any standing water, as that is where the Mosquitos breed. Certain times of the year the County will do aerial spraying.

Good luck and welcome to South FL.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:54 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,598,417 times
You moved here when the weather is cooler and when the bugs are less prevalent. That being said we had more rain this year and in my area mosquito spraying trucks have been out, also helicopters will fly over spraying. You can invest in a mosquito trap that is the one that uses propane.

If you live inland the mosquito issue will be even worse, hope you visited here for a while during the summer months because otherwise you are in for a big surprise.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:16 AM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,499,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimer99 View Post

Maybe you have holes in your window screens, you shouldn't have mosquitos biting you in your house. This time of the year we have all of our windows open and the a/c is turned off. We live in Loxahatchee and never have any bugs biting us in our home or on our screened lanai pool area.
Check your screens for holes.

Also, welcome to Florida and enjoy.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:34 PM

66 posts, read 238,301 times
Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. Yes, we have a screened in pool area and are not too terribly inland either. I will try some options for outdoors like the Citronella and traps. I'm familiar with everything you mentioned so that's cool.

Yes, we did visit during summertime and know what to expect! Thanks for the warnings though! LOL

Well, hopefully, we'll find a way to deal with it and that'll be that. Still, love it anyway!

Old 12-07-2009, 07:02 AM

20 posts, read 57,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
You moved here when the weather is cooler and when the bugs are less prevalent. That being said we had more rain this year and in my area mosquito spraying trucks have been out, also helicopters will fly over spraying. You can invest in a mosquito trap that is the one that uses propane.

If you live inland the mosquito issue will be even worse, hope you visited here for a while during the summer months because otherwise you are in for a big surprise.
Not really happy to hear about helicopter spraying.. that stuff is very toxic to everyone.

Does the county post somewhere where they are spraying and when?

Old 12-07-2009, 02:38 PM

85 posts, read 272,117 times
Gets much worse during the rainy season.Most of boynton was farmland,they filled it with swamp dirt.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:30 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,598,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathlin View Post
Not really happy to hear about helicopter spraying.. that stuff is very toxic to everyone.

Does the county post somewhere where they are spraying and when?
I was outside once walking my dog and I saw the helicopter fly over, with the spray bars fully dispersing a cloud of pesticide. I ran inside to avoid it, but can only imagine if I wasn't near my house say out for a walk. No warning I know of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach