Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 10:02 PM

6 posts, read 14,237 times

Advertisements

My husband is going through he process of being hired on a FPC Alderson as a CO.

Any other COs on here?

What is the area like?

Best place to live?

Best schools?

Is car insurance high?(I am in NJ now, so i don't know how much higher it could go.) LOL

Are there temporary rentals or somewhere to stay that accepts pets as we shop for a home?

Anything I need to know about West Virginia in general(I have never been).

Thanks in advance!!! :
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 05:53 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,478 times
From NJ to Lewisburg/Alderson.........can you say, "died and gone to heaven"? LOL

It depends on what you want. Alderson does not have much and is very, very small town. Lewisburg has some nice places.

Just get online and find you a nice hotel and go visit. You need to drive around and enjoy God's beautiful country.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:31 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
You don't have much choice for schools. Greenbrier East High School and Eastern Greenbrier Middle School will be the only public school options. I am from Ronceverte, so I can answer some of your questions.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:34 PM

Thanks. I have 1 child who is in Elementary school. She is in 4th grade. How do the schools rank in education? would it be better to send her to private school and where are those located?

We would like to live within 45 minutes of Alderson.

What are gas prices like?

I keep hearing about how WV taxes you to death. Honestly how bad is it? I don't think it could be as bad as NJ.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:12 AM

80 posts, read 222,238 times
Is the Alderson facility a state or federal job?

Real estate in the "town" of Lewisburg is terribly expensive. They have a wonderful little downtown and historic district which drives the prices to the sky, and not to mention all the doctors who live there to be close to the school of osteopathic (sp?) medicine. I love Lewisburg in the summer. It gets lots of snow in the winter!!!

You should find something reasonable closer to Alderson. There isn't much going on there, it's pretty dead.

As for car insurance... depends on your car. Definately get some quotes, prices will vary GREATLY from agency to agency.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:12 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,478 times
Coming from NJ, I would project you shouldn't be worrying about schools or taxes.

I recall a true story of an elementary principal talking with a family from NJ moving to WV. When asked about taxes, he stated "about $600". The family said, "that is about what we pay a month in NJ." The principal said, "that is for the year".

I have had the opportunity to be in schools around the USA and I sincerely believe you will get as good an education in WV as you will in NJ or anywhere else.

Learning is more intrinsic than extrinsic, IMHO. Couple that with strong support from home and all will be well!

Old 09-03-2010, 02:01 AM

Thanks BB. Yes, i believe that is a true story..... That is pretty close to what we pay a month.

My inlaws built a house in 2005 and they pay over $10,000 a YEAR in taxes on their house. (2 story with basement, tiny lot, with 4bed/3.5bath)

what are the best school districts. The schools really depend on where we buy a house. My children come before a house.

Chamber - Alderson is a federal prison.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:07 AM

80 posts, read 222,238 times
WV's income taxes are a little high, the property taxes would depend on if you're in city limits or not.

With a federal job and a the competitive salary that comes with it you should have no problem finding decent place to live.

I don't have children and didn't go to school anywhere near there so I have no opinion on the schools.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia