Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 01:26 AM

4 posts, read 13,100 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

I am Dutch and my wife is from the state NJ. We currently live in Nevada (5 years now) and before we lived for about one year in Florida. Before that we lived in The Netherlands. We are looking into moving. We want to see trees and seasons again and enjoy small town living. One of our choices is also indeed WV, Charleston. How are the job opportunities there? According to statistics unemployment seems low, but when I read other webs then it seems that WV is very low ranked. We are not looking for high paid jobs. Just clerical or Customer service. Just making a living and enjoy beauty of nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 08:08 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
I live in Charleston and no one I know ever has a hard time finding a job - especially in the fields you mentioned.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:54 AM

130 posts, read 367,742 times
Haha,

Customer Service eh? You will NOT have ANY trouble finding those jobs here. There are so many call centers here you can't count them on both hands - and they all are always hiring. Good luck in your search.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:01 AM

4 posts, read 13,100 times
Thank you for your quick response. If you would know, what type of salary is common for these positions? Also, do you know of any Apartment complexes in the area? We only need one bedroom to start out.

Thanks again

Old 02-23-2009, 01:45 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times
Do yourselves a real favor and take a vacation in the area you are looking into. Once here, check out the geography, the roads, the newspapers and the employment opportunities, first hand. Talk to the people in the area, look at apartments.

As far as wages are concerned, that is measured by so many variables! very few positions actually offer a salary. Base everything on minimum wage and 40 hours, multiplied by 2 since there are two of you. If you can make ends meet on that, then any improvement in the income is only going to make things easier.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 4,748 times
Default Moving to West Virginia

Dutchwolf, I am a realtor in the Wood County area of Parkersburg and Vienna. I moved here 4 years ago and like the location. You are central to many parks and only 2-21/2 hours from major cities like Columbus, Cleveland, and to area ski resorts, rafting, hiking, and and many other activities. West Virginia has not felt the impact of the ecomony as other states in the nation. Please check us out, and don't hesitate to email if you have any other questions.
Thanks,
Kim

Old 02-24-2009, 09:36 AM

I don't know the salary but my guess for places like the call centers is $20,000 - $25,000. I do know a friend just hired a gal for his office and her pay is over $30,000.

There are tons of apartments in Cross Lanes and some are brand new ones (old place being totally regutted and fixed up).
Shady Pines Apartments
(304) 204-0077
5369 Big Tyler Rd, Charleston (Address says Chas but it's Cross Lanes)

Also see:
Charleston Newspaper - West Virginia - Gazette-Mail Homes - Homes for Sale
or the Daily Mail or Charleston Gazette newpapers

Scroll down this post for some apartments in Cross Lanes.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/west-...l-daycare.html

Old 03-26-2009, 02:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,347 times
Thank you so much for your input--Vec 101---Believe it or not---we ended up in Cross Lanes!! We Love It!!!!! We loaded up the cars & that is where we ended up!!! We will be here for ???? Kim, I appreciate you input, but having been through Parkersburgh, we decide that is not for us---No offense, but we love Cross Lanes..
Thank you for al lyour input... But myself, after living in Europe, this is where will be---

Thank you all

Old 03-26-2009, 06:01 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,678 times
Cool, a City Data success story! Glad you are enjoying yourself in Cross Lanes. I lived there for 8 months right after college over in West Gate. The traffic can be rough during commute hours, but overall it's a nice town.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywolfwv View Post
Thank you so much for your input--Vec 101---Believe it or not---we ended up in Cross Lanes!! We Love It!!!!! We loaded up the cars & that is where we ended up!!! We will be here for ???? Kim, I appreciate you input, but having been through Parkersburgh, we decide that is not for us---No offense, but we love Cross Lanes..
Thank you for al lyour input... But myself, after living in Europe, this is where will be---

Thank you all
Awesome and welcome to the area.
Hope you find all you are looking for here.
Cross Lanes can certainly be a pain when schools are letting in/out or at rush hour, but overall it is a convenient and nice place to live.

Have any questions about CL, will be glad to answer.

PS, Be sure to check out T&L Meats on the back road from CL to Chas (as if heading to the road to Sissonville). They have great cuts of chicken and good hot dog sauce that they make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia