Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 02:12 PM

40 posts, read 81,978 times

Advertisements

My family of 5 with three kids ages 12, 11, and 8 may be relocating to the Clarksburg area for my husband's employment. To stay within a one hour commute of Clarksburg, we are looking at Bridgeport, Fairmont and Morgantown, WV to buy a house. Community, Shopping, Culture, Arts, Recreation and Catholic Churches are important to us. We are thinking
Morgantown might be the place to move to. We think we should probably live closer to other 'transplants' like ourselves. Any suggestions or thoughts you might be able to share with me??? Thanks much!!!

Oops!! Typos at end of my post title...just ignore!!!

Last edited by susannerk; 08-16-2011 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: Typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 04:27 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,909,996 times
Morgantown has the most culture, arts, shopping, jobs, activities, and entertainment of all the cities in wv. Anywhere in ncwv would be a good fit for you.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:39 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,107,828 times
Morgantown is a great town, and located just half an hour from Clarksburg via Interstate. But, anywhere in North Central West Virginia is a great place to live. My suggestion... buy one of the new homes on the south side of Morgantown. You're literally minutes from a beautiful Catholic Church (St. Francis de Sales), and Morgantown's schools are excellent.

St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church of Morgantown, WV (http://stfranciswv.com/2.0/ - broken link)

Old 08-16-2011, 11:26 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,090,757 times
Definately listen to the two guys above you. Morgantown is the bees knees when it comes to WV towns in every category imaginable except for state funded highways.

Some people refer to Morgantown as "The Little Apple" due to it's entertainment and cosmopolitan

Old 08-17-2011, 10:30 AM

5,010 posts, read 9,038,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Morgantown has the most culture, arts, shopping, jobs, activities, and entertainment of all the cities in wv.
You all do pretty well up there and have some nice things but to make a blanket statement like that is not quite true when you look at all of the numbers and facts.

Silk, I know it provides you some entertainment but you need to quit encouraging havoc.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:17 PM

389 posts, read 799,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
You all do pretty well up there and have some nice things but to make a blanket statement like that is not quite true when you look at all of the numbers and facts.

Silk, I know it provides you some entertainment but you need to quit encouraging havoc.
Yeah, Charleston definitely has us beat shopping-wise, not too sure about Huntington, but I'm sure you all are at least on par with Morgantown's offerings.
With that being said, I would say Morgantown is indisputably the most happening and cosmopolitan place in North-Central and would strongly suggest it to anyone relocating to this area. Since the OP is moving for a job in Clarksburg, I would also recommend Bridgeport. It's suburb-esque with newer housing developments and shopping in that region. I'd suspect the majority of the people living there are still locals though.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Definately listen to the two guys above you. Morgantown is the bees knees when it comes to WV towns in every category imaginable except for state funded highways.

Some people refer to Morgantown as "The Little Apple" due to it's entertainment and cosmopolitan
I don't think any of us are really trying to make comparisons or anything like that, but since you mentioned it first that's about the way things are. We do have... the best sports scene and excellent entertainment venues, diverse and good quality dining options, and access to the best educational opportunities. Others may disagree. That's their right, but folks can look at the facts and decide for themselves. We're just putting the facts out there about an outstanding town, and there are many on the national scene who agree with us.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post
Yeah, Charleston definitely has us beat shopping-wise, not too sure about Huntington, but I'm sure you all are at least on par with Morgantown's offerings.
With that being said, I would say Morgantown is indisputably the most happening and cosmopolitan place in North-Central and would strongly suggest it to anyone relocating to this area. Since the OP is moving for a job in Clarksburg, I would also recommend Bridgeport. It's suburb-esque with newer housing developments and shopping in that region. I'd suspect the majority of the people living there are still locals though.
We're the most happening place in the state, easily. Shopping? I guess that is debatable but it is certainly good enough for most folks. For those who want some really ritzy stuff Pittsburgh is an accessable option from here, and I know in that regard they have a lot more than any place in our state.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:24 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,909,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post

I need to stop encouraging myself?

I think you need to get your facts straight before you go and accuse other people having bad facts.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:22 PM

389 posts, read 799,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
We're the most happening place in the state, easily. Shopping? I guess that is debatable but it is certainly good enough for most folks. For those who want some really ritzy stuff Pittsburgh is an accessable option from here, and I know in that regard they have a lot more than any place in our state.
Definitely the most happening. You won't see the type of youth and vibrancy you see here anywhere else in such an old state. As far as shopping in West Virginia itself, Morgantown has basically whatever you need these days, but it's a fact that Charleston has better shopping. They have the same strip mall stores that we do, plus a three-story mall that offers a lot more than ours. Our easy access to shopping in Pittsburgh is a plus here that the people in Charleston don't have though. From the outlets forty five minutes away in Washington to The Mall at Robinson/Robinson Town Center, Ross Park Mall, etc. about an hour and a half away we're only a hop, skip, and a jump from upscale shopping when that's what you're looking for. To be honest, the people in Weirton have it the best as far as amenities go (no, I'm not joking). They have a couple small shopping centers in town, they're 10 minutes from Post-Gazette Pavilion (concerts), 25 minutes from Pittsburgh International, and half an hour from the Robinson shopping monstrosity. They have the best proximity to stuff like that, it just all happens to be in a different state. The EP is near nice shopping and things of that nature, but it's a bit of a drive. As far as dining options, I'd say Morgantown is at the top, no question, although Charleston has some great options like Tidewater Grill. You just can't compete with a college town in that department unless you're dealing with a city and we don't have those in West Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia